Opinion on Joystick Position Center or on your right side.

kmaultsby

Hello all just looking for opinions for the title above.  This is what I have.  I have the  Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and 2 MFD'S that is attached to Monstertech table mount and MFD mounts.  I will or will flighting A10, F/A18, F16 and maybe F-15 a and F-14.  The three main aircraft F/A18 F-16 and the A-10.  My present setup is that the I have the stick off to right like the F-16  but I thinking of placing the stick between my legs like the F/A18.  The other thing I was think of is also purchasing the F/A18 stick and all I have to do is just swap out the stick per aircraft I am flying.   Opinions appreciated.

This is a personal preference thing, for me , a centre stick isn’t practical but a side stick is, I know others who say thy have both for the immersion etc...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

when flying sidestick, where would be your mfds located?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

2 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

when flying sidestick, where would be your mfds located?

I have the the Monstertech MFD addons, at the moment, I have the left MFD connected on the inside of the Throttle Table bracket and the right MFD is connect to the inter bracket of the right table bracket.  If I go center stick I will connect the MFD'S  to the left and right side of the table mount for the stick.

1 hour ago, kmaultsby said:

I have the the Monstertech MFD addons, at the moment, I have the left MFD connected on the inside of the Throttle Table bracket and the right MFD is connect to the inter bracket of the right table bracket.  If I go center stick I will connect the MFD'S  to the left and right side of the table mount for the stick.

fair enough, didn´t consider that option.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Hi,

for sure it is a matter of preference, but also familiarization. I startet in the F-16 and always flew side stick. I converted to the A-10C but got sticked at the side stick configuration and also fly the Hornet like this. It better fits my personal situation with an office desk and chair. A center stick does not really fit in front of my chair. Only if you have it quite high but I fly with an extension of 7cm. The benefit of a center stick is, that you can easily switch hands when working on the MFDs or with the mouse. I need to use the Autopilot a lot not to go down with the plane when heads down.

Take care,

Xoxen

Edited by xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

13 minutes ago, xoxen said:

Hi,

for sure it is a matter of preference, but also familiarization. I startet in the F-16 and always flew side stick. I converted to the A-10C but got sticked at the side stick configuration and also fly the Hornet like this. It better fits my personal situation with an office desk and chair. A center stick does not really fit in front of my chair. Only if you have it quite high but I fly with an extension of 7cm. The benefit of a center stick is, that you can easily switch hands when working on the MFDs or with the mouse. I need to use the Autopilot a lot not to go down with the plane when heads down.

Take care,

Xoxen

("The benefit of a center stick is, that you can easily switch hands when working on the MFDs" ) I didn't think of it in that way but for that reason I may go center stick because I am using the Thrustmaster MFD'S and I do have a attachable mouse table were I can use my mouse. 

The mouse table from Monstertech is what I use. Works reasonably good. It can easily be attached to the desk mounts from them, like the MFD holders.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

For my trackball, I attached a L bracket piece of aluminum to the right armrest of my chair, which I removed

When I learned to fly helo's many moons ago, I learned to rest my forearm on my thigh to provide finer control. When I first got my Warthog I set it up as a side stick as I had no way to mount in the middle. When I upgraded my chair to a Secret Labs titan, I found the big flat base of the warthog fits nicely on the  big base of the seat. My thighs rest on top of the base locking it in place, putting the stick in the perfect position to fly like I used to.

My fine control, immediately improved. So centre mount for me.