Questions for those that have upgraded from warthog to CM3 throttle

epolta

I posted this over at the HOTAS /s and didn't have a ton of answers so reposting here since it's very DCS specific...

I think I have a plan for most of the mappings but I still have a few things that aren't clear...

The specific questions I have are as follows..if you guys could chime in please do!

3 position switches: on the CM3 the three position switches spring to center... how does that work for warthog autopilot button: path /altitude/hdg&altitude that need to stay in their respective positions?..I'm assuming this can be tweaked in virpil software but how specifically would you do that?

Also one that really has me scratching my head is the virtual detent stuff (especially

after watching virpil config videos) and that is why are you guys setting up an idle cutoff axis to button and an idle position axis to button (at least for the hornet) on each throttle axis? Can't you just setup a pressed button state via the axis to button option and map that to the DCS keybind off/idle which is how I have every other DCS module mapped to the warthog?

Sorry for the long list of questions but if you guys could chime in if really appreciate it... Oh and I know a lot of stuff can be done with macros and joystick gremlin etc, but I'd rather be able to do it all in virpil config software and DCS lua tweaking...

Thanks!

Hmm, that is an interesting question. The simple asnswer is that the switch on the VPC throttle makes the switch in the A-10C stay in position. So, for example if you have PATH set to up, then flicking the switch up makes the Warthog switch stay up.  So far so good.

However, as 3 switch positions are required, i.e. PATH, ALT and ALT/HDG, then it is not possible AFAICS to make that work on the CM2/3 switch.

I hadn't noticed this as I only use PATH and ALT/HDG, so, short of binding another button/switch to the 3rd option, I can't see how to do it.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone here comes up with something on that.

Re virtual detents, you don't have to bother with all that with the CM3.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On the detents, I just picked a detent along with positioning of it on my CM3 to work appropriately for afterburner in the Hornet.

For idle to off, I added a virtual button press for off, and another for idle. And put a small deadzone to cover that area.

Works a champ. And I picked a detent there which used the smallest amount of travel between idle and off.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don, I have worked out a different way of doing this which I think is much better, for me anyway.  Once I get my CM3 back in the next day or two, I'll do a post on various things here.

One of the issues with doing the AB detent the way you describe, is that it won't necessarily work for other modules.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 hours ago, imacken said:

Don, I have worked out a different way of doing this which I think is much better, for me anyway.  Once I get my CM3 back in the next day or two, I'll do a post on various things here.

One of the issues with doing the AB detent the way you describe, is that it won't necessarily work for other modules.

@imacken - looking forward to your post! I understand we don't need to do virtual detents on the CM3, since we get actual physical detents.. I guess to clarify... why setup two separate button presses: one for idle, and another for off? On my Warthog, I just have the one button press on each throttle arm for Off/Idle and that seems to work fine.

Thanks for clarifying.. Regarding the three way switches, I like your workaround of just mapping alt/path since those are what I primarily use anyway...

I also agree, I don't want to move the physical AB detent each time, but would rather set it and forget it, and just adjust curves in each module for when AB kicks in to coincide with the AB stop on the throttle - which again is no different than how I have the warthog configured in game now.

thanks!

38 minutes ago, epolta said:

@imacken - looking forward to your post! I understand we don't need to do virtual detents on the CM3, since we get actual physical detents.. I guess to clarify... why setup two separate button presses: one for idle, and another for off? On my Warthog, I just have the one button press on each throttle arm for Off/Idle and that seems to work fine.

Thanks for clarifying.. Regarding the three way switches, I like your workaround of just mapping alt/path since those are what I primarily use anyway...

I also agree, I don't want to move the physical AB detent each time, but would rather set it and forget it, and just adjust curves in each module for when AB kicks in to coincide with the AB stop on the throttle - which again is no different than how I have the warthog configured in game now.

thanks!

Yes, you're right, there is no need for 2 buttons, only 1 required, and you're right with the AB just needing curves - well, saturation - applied for each module with the detent placed as far back as possible to allow maximum travel.

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Yes, you're right, there is no need for 2 buttons, only 1 required, and you're right with the AB just needing curves - well, saturation - applied for each module with the detent placed as far back as possible to allow maximum travel.

copy, thanks for the clarification.. Looking forward to your post when you get around to it!

11 hours ago, imacken said:

Yeah but that Afterburner detent has a decent range of adjustment, so while I have not tried it with other modules I am hoping I can just adjust it mechanically as needed. And of course just remove it for planes that do not have it - like WWII birds.  Right now though all my focus is on the Hornet.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Why would you want to be adjusting it mechanically every time you change modules, when it can be done very simply in DCS control settings as one offs?

43 minutes ago, imacken said:

Why would you want to be adjusting it mechanically every time you change modules, when it can be done very simply in DCS control settings as one offs?

Afraid I am not following you, but I do confuse easily these days.

How do you adjust afterburner positions in DCS control settings? 

Don B

Don, I didn't want to post on detail until I got my CM3 back, but have a look at this video from about 13'50".  He explains how to do it.

(209) TUTORIAL THURSDAY EPISODE 1 VIRPIL CM3 DETENT SET UP (IDLE AND AFTERBURNER IN DCS) - YouTube

Also, I do the idle detent with only one button based on setting up DCS with idle/off rather than separate buttons for off and idle. I use a preset rather than using up any of the precious 4 axis-to-button slots we have available in VPC software.

Both these work perfectly for the Hornet and all other modules I tried. You need to set up the AB for each module, but once done, don't have to touch them again.

18 minutes ago, imacken said:

Don, I didn't want to post on detail until I got my CM3 back, but have a look at this video from about 13'50".  He explains how to do it.

(209) TUTORIAL THURSDAY EPISODE 1 VIRPIL CM3 DETENT SET UP (IDLE AND AFTERBURNER IN DCS) - YouTube

Also, I do the idle detent with only one button based on setting up DCS with idle/off rather than separate buttons for off and idle. I use a preset rather than using up any of the precious 4 axis-to-button slots we have available in VPC software.

Both these work perfectly for the Hornet and all other modules I tried. You need to set up the AB for each module, but once done, don't have to touch them again.

Ok thanks I will have a look and will also check out changing the idle/off to just one button.

Don B

I'm pretty sure I had the preset on the 2 throttle axes set with the 0% checked and then just set Hornet etc. off/idle to that button. So, when I pulled the throttle fully back from the detent notched position, the engine would switch off. Then with a slight movement of the throttle back to the notched position would put it into idle.  This, of course means, setting the dead zone to be just past the detent.

11 minutes ago, imacken said:

I'm pretty sure I had the preset on the 2 throttle axes set with the 0% checked and then just set Hornet etc. off/idle to that button. So, when I pulled the throttle fully back from the detent notched position, the engine would switch off. Then with a slight movement of the throttle back to the notched position would put it into idle.  This, of course means, setting the dead zone to be just past the detent.

Ok thanks will have a look.

Don B

3 hours ago, Drac said:

For VR flyers, is anybody using the slider (with center detent) on the front of the throttle handle?  If so, what function.

I have mine assigned to radar elevation control in the Hornet.

Have not used it much yet as I am still going through learning process of this plane.

Don B

29 minutes ago, dburne said:

I have mine assigned to radar elevation control in the Hornet.

Have not used it much yet as I am still going through learning process of this plane.

Thanks.  I will give it a try.  I currently have radar elevation assigned to the right side handle rotary.  Just curious, what are you using your rotary (right side handle) for?

3 minutes ago, Drac said:

Thanks.  I will give it a try.  I currently have radar elevation assigned to the right side handle rotary.  Just curious, what are you using your rotary (right side handle) for?

Nothing at this time.

As I am still proceeding through the learning process I may well come across something that I will want to assign to it.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I use the right rotary for hud brightness and the left rotary for the HMD brightness. I have both of these set as virtual axes to allow greater movement  per click. 
The slider you are talking about is used for zoom normally, but as you know, for reasons I certainly don’t understand, we don’t have that in VR. I bind the buttons on the switch next to it (4 and 5, I think) to the VR zoom controls. 
I do use the normal zoom slider in TrackiR for all modules for zoom funnily enough, so it would confuse me to bind it to something else for VR, so I just don’t use it in VR. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 6:23 PM, Drac said:

I use both for the Hornet vertical radar axis. The slider with center for large changes in radar vertical tilt (with a reasonable deadzone as it otherwise floats the axis for any centering faults) and the right rotary inside the 5way for small changes. Try it, it's useful.

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals