A little help with AGM 65E ?

dburne

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Ok will give that a try, just finished another attempt and I could not seem to get slew to work no matter what I did to designate a new target after blowing up first one..

Hmm not been pressing pickle button to fire laser, been using tdc depress? ( per Chuck's guide).

YES!!

You are my hero!

Pressing the pickle button to fire the laser was apparently what I was missing.

4 vehicles blown to smithereens woohoo!

Thank you!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

33 minutes ago, imacken said:

Chuck’s guide says to press the pickle button in 2.8 31. Actually, he says to hold it down which you can do, but that will fire immediately when it can. If you just press it once it will fire and then when locked, you press it again when you are ready to fire. 

Ok apparently I had misread that somehow.

Much thanks!

Going to spend the rest of the afternoon repeating this a few times, make sure I get the proper process under my belt.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I had the same thing w/ the code. I entered it for the bomb (82LG I think) via the left DDI and then UFC and was sure I had seen in some tutorial that it also needed to be entered for the laser. But I go to the laser screen (right DDI) and the code is already there. Not that I am complaining but is that something that DCS has simplified for us?.

Well I have been humbled. Feeling good and thinking I have got this, today I can't do anything correct it seems.

Going by the same procedure and running the same mission, now all my Mavericks fall far short of the target each and every time.

Multiple attempts today same as yesterday, only today I can hit absolutely nothing. Yesterday I was blowing them up just fine.

Beats the heck out of me, maybe I will try again tomorrow and it will come to me.

Don B

32 minutes ago, dburne said:

Well I have been humbled. Feeling good and thinking I have got this, today I can't do anything correct it seems.

Going by the same procedure and running the same mission, now all my Mavericks fall far short of the target each and every time.

Multiple attempts today same as yesterday, only today I can hit absolutely nothing. Yesterday I was blowing them up just fine.

Beats the heck out of me, maybe I will try again tomorrow and it will come to me.

Don, again I'll ask, post a track. Then we can see what's going on.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

45 minutes ago, imacken said:

Don, again I'll ask, post a track. Then we can see what's going on.

Thanks, I have put my flight gear away for the day will take another look at it tomorrow.

Don B

11 hours ago, dburne said:

The only  reason i can think off if the maves are falling  short  firing  to  far  away  or  your  too low

6 hours ago, pete_auau said:

The only  reason i can think off if the maves are falling  short  firing  to  far  away  or  your  too low

I was around 7-8 nm away, I had In Range cue no problem. Not sure of altitude but close to what the mission starts at which I believe is around 15k ft. May have descended to around 10k.

I had no trouble hitting them the day before, which is wierd.

Will be trying again sometime later this morning.

Thanks for the feedback.

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I was around 7-8 nm away, I had In Range cue no problem. Not sure of altitude but close to what the mission starts at which I believe is around 15k ft. May have descended to around 10k.

I had no trouble hitting them the day before, which is wierd.

Will be trying again sometime later this morning.

Thanks for the feedback.

not  sure  think  you need  to be  less  than  5  maybe  some  one else  knows  the  max  range

2 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

not  sure  think  you need  to be  less  than  5  maybe  some  one else  knows  the  max  range

When I resume trying little later I will give getting a little closer a try as well. 

Don B

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

Ok so my first attempt today I held off firing until I was 5 out at 10k ft - and nailed all three targets no problem.

So perhaps at 10 out even though I was getting in range cue, maybe that was just a little too far out.

Thanks, that appears to have been my issue yesterday.

Don B

10 minutes ago, dburne said:

Ok so my first attempt today I held off firing until I was 5 out at 10k ft - and nailed all three targets no problem.

So perhaps at 10 out even though I was getting in range cue, maybe that was just a little too far out.

Thanks, that appears to have been my issue yesterday.

Glad you got it working again, but trying it out myself, I didn't have any issue at 14k and 9-10 miles.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Ok so I think I maybe know what was happening to me yesterday.

I have been doing it again and so far hitting fine from 8nm out at about 13k ft.

I "think" yesterday I was not choosing ATRK at the proper point, just before hitting the designate target button.

Having no issue at all today though - amazing the difference a day makes.

Thanks all for the help!

Now I just need to start practicing this whilst the plane is flying rather than in active pause lol.

Don B

Ok I got it now - finally!

Have just flown that mission three times , no active pause and no Chuck's Guide, nailed all three targets in three passes no problem.

Thanks again all! Still going through learning process and I really appreciate all the help!

Don B

You use active pause cheat???? Ha, ha, ha. Hey well, me too. I just did that on my 3rd try of a mission in the Eastern Friendship campaign using the pod from about 14,000. Just couldn't find the dang target and tired of getting shot down. 😃

15 minutes ago, CBStu said:

You use active pause cheat???? Ha, ha, ha. Hey well, me too. I just did that on my 3rd try of a mission in the Eastern Friendship campaign using the pod from about 14,000. Just couldn't find the dang target and tired of getting shot down. 😃

Lol well mainly as I am learning, I have Chuck's Guide open in VR and have to reference it quite often as I learn a particular weapon or process.

Hopefully as I get the hang of it like I did earlier with the Maverick 65E and targeting pod I don't have to use active pause any more.

Don B

Progressing through my learning of bomb deliveries in the Hornet.

This is what confuses me at times.

I pick the GBU-12 Paveway II Laser Guided Bomb mission in the DCS missions.

I open up Chuck's Guide, and find GBU-12 Paveway II Laser Guided Bombs.

Ok all set, so I start the Mission and go through the procedures. However I get stuck early on, as I can not seem to  select FLIR per the guide. Don't even see a FLIR button.

Best I can tell, it is because this mission does not have a targeting pod and uses Jtac instead?

So I need to find again the proper procedure for using Jtac with these bombs I guess?

Edit - No problem, it came back to me using Jtac - dropped two 82 and two 83's, got four kills it was easy.

I think it is starting to sink in now LOL.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Agreed. Til maybe 6 weeks ago I was happy just shooting 120Cs and 9Xs at other planes. I had tried bombs and I sucked so I mostly avoided them. Same w/ the pod, I sucked so I avoided it. Then I decided I need to put in the work. I see some improvement so I try a different mission and bam, back to I suck again. I just relearned that the pod actually has 6 different types of view available so I am going to start trying them. I also need to figure out that location thing the jtac provides. I had no idea this would be so difficult but in the end it is still a lot of fun. 

10 hours ago, CBStu said:

Agreed. Til maybe 6 weeks ago I was happy just shooting 120Cs and 9Xs at other planes. I had tried bombs and I sucked so I mostly avoided them. Same w/ the pod, I sucked so I avoided it. Then I decided I need to put in the work. I see some improvement so I try a different mission and bam, back to I suck again. I just relearned that the pod actually has 6 different types of view available so I am going to start trying them. I also need to figure out that location thing the jtac provides. I had no idea this would be so difficult but in the end it is still a lot of fun. 

Lol yeah it can be for sure.

But I am persevering, and sticking with it. I swore it was now or never with DCS for me, so I put all other games aside and am spending several hours each day going through this Hornet learning process. And finally I am getting there so it has been worth it so far.

Hope to be able to start an actual campaign here in another week or two. I want to get as much under my belt first that I can.

It can be frustrating at times but overall I am truly having a blast doing this. Once I started actually blowing stuff up it really became exciting lol.

At the end of today's process, after knocking several sam sites out, I loaded up the Supercarrier cold start mission. Went through it, took off and just leisurely flew around for a while. Then set my TACAN and ICLS, and returned to carrier for a perfect trap. Now that was a nice end to my day of learning weapons!  Opened the canopy, taxied to parking, had the chief set the wheel-chocks and shut her down.

So sweet.

Edited by dburne

Don B