Seaplane or amphibian.

DmitriKozlowsky

Seaplane or amphibian.

Thats an interesting sim within a sim. A seaplane(floats) or amphibian hull aircraft. ED would have to get both aerodynamics and hydrodynamics right. For various sea states.

Not sure as what type would be simmed.

WWII- PBY Catalina, Vought OS2U Kingfisher, Zero Float, Arado 196 float

May not make sense commercially. To low of a demand.

• Like 7

Although I'm sure it'll never happen, for the reasons you already stated, I'd definitely purchase a full fidelity Catalina!

Just imagine this plane in combination with the upcoming Marianas map  🤤

web1_20200824_b1_Catalina14.jpg

(casually flying around and visiting random beachheads must be good for ones blood pressure)

• Like 8

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 1/26/2021 at 7:15 AM, sirrah said:

Although I'm sure it'll never happen, for the reasons you already stated, I'd definitely purchase a full fidelity Catalina!

Just imagine this plane in combination with the upcoming Marianas map  🤤

web1_20200824_b1_Catalina14.jpg

(casually flying around and visiting random beachheads must be good for ones blood pressure)

Cat would be a combat sim. It was anti-ship and anti-sub platform, dropping bombs, depth charge bombs, and .50 BMG guns. Rescue ship, recon work. T/O and landing on water is nerve wrecking precision flying. Just ask a Canadian bush pilot, or Alaska one. You can flip the ship, collide with wave. Takes skill and timing to unstick on T/O, and carefull speed management on recovery. The runway is never the same. 

• Like 5

Basically ED has created the sandbox now we need more developers providing WW2 content. 

There are good developers making MSFS content who could come over here. You can do a lot more with a combat aircraft in the DCS engine and more period maps are coming. 

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 2

I would buy any float plane or flying boat immediately!! 😄 

Vought OS2U Kingfisher, 

Curtiss SC1,

Aichi E16A1, 

PBY Catalina,

yesss please!

Also since there is a EagleII biplane in game, I would love a biplane float plane from WW2, like the Curtiss SOC !

crop photo SOC.png

sc1_taxi.jpg

1920px-Curtiss_SC_Seahawk_on_USS_Birmingham-SLV-H91.108-2420.jpg

• Like 1

As subsimmer, I would love to see some ASW and patrol aircraft in DCS. Maybe incoming of more maritime-focused maps like Marianas or South Atlantic would give some more room for such aircraft. However... to fully implement post-war planes, we also would need modeled sea enviroment: ducts with duct sound trap, thermal layer, convergence zone or (Cz) sound velocity profile (SVP), shadow zone (Sz) sound channel, ambient noise, biologic contacts and such - just basic oceanography for maritime enviroment in any era. And those parameters are changing constantly. Then... every underwater craft would need to have modeled sound profile, sound propagation pattern, anechoic tiles effect (if present). Not to mention MAD, or magnetic aerial detection systems for the planes, sonobuoys (active and passive) for both planes and helicopters. And whole new set of weapons. It is Sonalysts territory, and their sims aren't user-friendly stuff.

I am mentioning all that, because in  Cold War period main use of maritime aircraft was ASW (and most DCS stuff is Cold War really), and that would be a whole new game by itself, if we would like to see that aspect in accord with DCS's hight standard to realism and fidelity. Then again, most of those planes would need real multicrew (or brilliant AI), and player would have to accept many hours of flight to achieve... well, usually nothing. I don't think Cold War planes related to maritime duty will be a thing, maybe as AI asset.

As for WW2, there may be some chance of such craft as they were used in slightly different manner, but i wouldn't hold my breath for that. If something, then probably rather small, with one pilot.

Probably though, when comes to naval aviation, SH-2 Seasprite (or something similar) could be a thing, as it would share a lot of core gameplay with other rotors... Then again, sub detection. As much as I love the idea, I don't think it will happen, sadly. 

Edited by Fairey Gannet
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Seaplanes in DCS would be a dream-come-true.

The upcoming Marianas map certainly presents a fantastic opportunity for a range of WW2 aircraft such as those listed above. Seaplane operations were a significant part of that theatre and would complement naval operations well. The ability to search-and-rescue is another interesting factor (e.g. rescuing downed F4U Corsair pilots). Additionally, the Catalina (and numerous others) would even function in the English Channel (Normandy Map, or even the Channel Map) hunting U-boats (and there is already one of those in the WW2 assets pack).

Given the recent progress made by the modding community ( e.g. the Latécoère 290 in https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/248213-the-dcs-float-plane-mod/ or the Felixstowe in https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/259748-ww-1-dcs-world-flying-circus-beta/), I don't think DCS seaplanes are quite as "out-of-reach" as we might imagine.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Only thing I will say, is that DCS' water and buoyancy physics leave a bit to be desired. Currently, craft don't actually interact with the water properly - this isn't so noticeable on larger vessels, but on smaller vessels and certainly amphibious vehicles, it is especially noticeable.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 3/14/2021 at 3:56 AM, Northstar98 said:

Only thing I will say, is that DCS' water and buoyancy physics leave a bit to be desired. Currently, craft don't actually interact with the water properly - this isn't so noticeable on larger vessels, but on smaller vessels and certainly amphibious vehicles, it is especially noticeable.

Perhaps if they do get the physics right, other planes can do a proper ditching.

• Like 3

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

16 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

Perhaps if they do get the physics right, other planes can do a proper ditching.

Yep, probably. 

Same for ditching in helicopters. It would also be useful for things like life rafts, to actually have them interact with the water properly. At the moment, if you drive an amphibious vehicle into the sea, you won't see it react to waves at all even they're present (which is probably incorrect itself) - it's as if it's driving on a solid plane.

With everything on the water, they just pitch and roll randomly (as far as I can tell) with a magnitude dependent on the wind speed, even if there are waves present at 0 wind (which, there kinda shouldn't be, or at least they should be a lot smaller - it looks even with 0 wind, the waves look to be sea state 3).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I've heard that they are bringing back the SH-3W which is also amphibious.

It may be able to land on water to rescue downed pilots.

P8e4H8M.jpg

• Like 3

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

10 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

I've heard that they are bringing back the SH-3W which is also amphibious.

It may be able to land on water to rescue downed pilots.

That would be neat. Ticks multiple other boxes at the same time... can be used on the supercarrier, blue transport helicopter and, of course, amphibious

• Like 1

It doesn't help that the water in DCS is modeled extremely simplistically, and for some reason uses a ton of resources when being rendered. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 1/31/2021 at 9:03 PM, qcheck said:

Vought OS2U Kingfisher, 

Curtiss SC1,

Aichi E16A1, 

PBY Catalina,

yesss please!

Legendary ones, both with military services:

Both would come with various landing options:

- Wheels

- Skis

- Floats

Both would open excellent map sightseeing and exploration, civilian flying, military troop/cargo transportation, fancy landings to rivers and small lakes in maps, at winter time operate from the snowfields. 

And of course, at least An-2 to perform the Vertical Take-Off and Landing on carriers with good headwind. 

And we would see nice new competitions in the DCS World as well...

It would be cool to be able use the DCS World maps harbors in a new way, to be able land on the snow ural areas. Transport people and cargo across the places etc. 

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 1/31/2021 at 9:03 PM, qcheck said:

Vought OS2U Kingfisher, 

Curtiss SC1,

Aichi E16A1, 

PBY Catalina,

yesss please!

Legendary ones, both with military services:

Both would come with various landing options:

- Wheels

- Skis

- Floats

Both would open excellent map sightseeing and exploration, civilian flying, military troop/cargo transportation, fancy landings to rivers and small lakes in maps, at winter time operate from the snowfields. 

And of course, at least An-2 to perform the Vertical Take-Off and Landing on carriers with good headwind. 

And we would see nice new competitions in the DCS World as well...

It would be cool to be able use the DCS World maps harbors in a new way, to be able land on the snow ural areas. Transport people and cargo across the places etc. 

Harriers.jpg

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.