DCS Moving Map

Bergison

Well, I'm not an expert of web programming but I could help.

In my humble opinion, it'd be better to rebuild the same logic using a technology we know (me, I'm more at ease with NodeJS and Java than Python, server-side).

What do you think  ? Do you want me to lend a hand ?

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

This looks really interesting. What defines the visibility of the blufor/redfor icons? Visibility of the icons in the F-10 Map?

+1 for an android version

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

On 2/3/2021 at 11:26 AM, davidp57 said:

Well, I'm not an expert of web programming but I could help.

In my humble opinion, it'd be better to rebuild the same logic using a technology we know (me, I'm more at ease with NodeJS and Java than Python, server-side).

What do you think  ? Do you want me to lend a hand ?

Thanks for your kind offer davidp57, I will definitifely need help if I decide to do a webserver version. We'll keep in touch!

19 hours ago, Gruman said:

What defines the visibility of the blufor/redfor icons?

DCS_MovingMap uses the same export technique as for example TacView. Mission hosts can disable object export in multiplayer by deselecting 'Allow object export' in the advanced settings. However, your ownship position and the map will still be displayed.

Edited by Bergison

my simpit website: bergisons.simpit.info

Is there any improvements plans?

I do like flying with this moving map.

I would like to change the map quality, i have had a tinker with it but when i put my own map in place of a original map, my aircraft doesn't start in its correct location, is there anyway i can change this please?

Thankyou.

Edited by Jason32

5 hours ago, Bergison said:

DCS_MovingMap uses the same export technique as for example TacView. Mission hosts can disable object export in multiplayer by deselecting 'Allow object export' in the advanced settings. However, your ownship position and the map will still be displayed.

This sounds a bit problematic. There is a reason Tacview has a default 10 min delay on the exportdata to reduce the cheating aspect in MP.

Doesnt affect myself too much, since I only fly on trusted private servers, but if somebody is flying on a PVP Server (with export enabled for TacView) this could be used to gain an advantage.

Any thoughts on how this could be solved in the future? Or am I getting this wrong?

Otherwise this looks neat. Will take a closer look ASAP.

Edited by Gruman

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

You are absolutely right Gruman, that's a point I haven't thought about. I have edited the program to only show friendly units on the map. That is a bit of a drawback, but better than being accused to support cheating.

A future solution would be to retrieve the F10 map options of a mission, and only show enemy units when that is allowed by the mission designer, but don't know how to get them using export.lua. If anyone has a clue, I'd be grateful.

Edited by Bergison
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Jason32 said:

... when i put my own map in place of a original map, my aircraft doesn't start in its correct location, is there anyway i can change this please?

You can use your own theatre maps if you want to. Just put them in the 'maps' folder and make sure they:

1) are .jpg format and named exactly like the original ones (e.g. 'Caucasus.jpg')

2) have the same pixel size (e.g. 6750 x 4000 px for the Caucasus map)

3) span the same area (e.g. 36,5°E - 45,5°E and 41°N - 45°N for the Caucasus map)

Edited by Bergison

• 2 weeks later...

Just uploaded version 0.20 (28. Feb. 2021) to my website with an important update: DCS_MovingMap can now read the missions F10 View Options, so mission designers can define which units are shown using the Mission Options (e.g. map only, player only, friendlies, all units), while leaving the multiplayer server settings export functions enabled (eg for TacView). That means all units, also enemy, are shown again if allowed in the mission!

DCS_MovingMap also has its own dedicated tab in the DCS Special Options menu now, where the host ip adress can be entered directly (no more editing of .lua files required).

Many thanks to Ugene for his help and contribution to this update!

Important NOTE: if you update to this version, please follow the new installation intructions on my website and remove all entries to your export.lua as well as the DCS_MovingMap_export.lua file, they are not needed anymore.

Another important NOTE: when I packed the new executable, Windows Defender popped up with a Trojan warning. As I have definitely not included any such code in my program, you may disregard this warning if you get it too. See "Known Issues" on my website for a possible explanation of this behavior.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. So far it seems to work in standalone. I will confirm for MP the first time I connect to a server. BTW I see that the icon in DCS writes ver.011

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Just tried the new version - is there any other troubleshooting tips? 

I  get "No data from DCS and Sorry, no map available for this area."

My Host IP address  is 192.168.2.10

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Have you copied both folders to your DCS saved games directory as described in the installation instructions?

Does DCS_MovingMap show up under the Specials settings tab in DCS and have you entered the IP of the device which runs the app there?

Does the app work on your local (DCS) computer?

Is DCS_MovingMap allowed by your Windows firewall?

Edited by Bergison

9 hours ago, Bergison said:

Have you copied both folders to your DCS saved games directory as described in the installation instructions?   YES for Step 2. and 3. of your Instructions. 

Does DCS_MovingMap show up under the Specials settings tab in DCS and have you entered the IP of the device which runs the app there?  YES and my Local IP Added too.

Does the app work on your local (DCS) computer?  NO - I am only trying to run on my Local computer - ( I have 3 screens using 1 for DCS)

Is DCS_MovingMap allowed by your Windows firewall? YES - In Windows Defender Firewall I see it in list of Allow apps to communicate (dcs_movingmap Private is checked off)

Thanks for your reply.. No JOY..... my response is highlighted in green.

I will keep trying here and there and maybe some day it will work.. LoL.....  I must be something with my Local User  ID used to run DCS vs my Administrator Privilage / Access rights. 

• Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Thanks for this! Pretty sweet all around. The best part is that it worked the very first time I tried it, which is a gamble concerning anything that has to do with me and a network 😛 Looking forward to see were it goes. 

• Like 1

Feature requests:
Nato Symbols Option
Russian Symbols Option
Support for the Neutral collation (currently shows as Blue) 
Incremental zoom in/out keybinds
"Right Click and hold" ruler (maybe)

Player color selection

Keybinds for onscreen buttons
"Clean Dead stuff" button

Airports Layer Option
Navaids Layer Option
Engagement/detection areas (like the F10 map)

I'd be glad to help with the not-too-technical grunt work like gathering data to implement features.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 2:23 PM, Bergison said:

OK, try to set the IP to 192.168.0.255 or if that does not work to 192.168.2.255 or 127.0.0.1Tried but no joy. 

Do you maybe have TacView installed? It uses the same export and if TacView is able to get data, so should DCS_MovingMap.  My Tacview is logging files and working but no joy. 

Also check in Mission Options, that data export is allowed.  Interesting, I will look harder but did not see any export options in my local Mission Options.  

No Joy.. reply in Green.. I can turn this into a positive.. I will add it to the list of excuses I use when I am telling my wife I need to upgrade my computer.. lol.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fargo007 said:

How does this work with VR in terms of making the map appear in the headset?

If that's possible that is. 

Thanks!

User davidp57 posted "I'm using it in VR along with OVR Toolkit". I have not tried this, as I am using the app on my tablet, but it is apparently working.

23 minutes ago, YSIAD_RIP said:

No Joy.. reply in Green.. I can turn this into a positive.. I will add it to the list of excuses I use when I am telling my wife I need to upgrade my computer.. lol.. 

Check that port 50000 is not blocked by your system. Maybe add a new rule to allow this port.

Edited by Bergison
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 11:20 AM, diamond26 said:

Thanks for the update. So far it seems to work in standalone. I will confirm for MP the first time I connect to a server. BTW I see that the icon in DCS writes ver.011

I can confirm that everything works fine in both SP and MP as long as you pay attention to the IP 🙂 I still see ver0.11 in DCS game

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

I found a small glitch in the code, that prevented data from being sent in multiplayer. If you experience problems in multiplayer, please download the latest version from my website: https://bergisons.simpit.info/dcs_movingmap

YSIAD_RIP, that could possibly be the solution to your problem. Please try the new version!