Huey 2.0. Perhaps UH-1N ?

DeTesla

So we can hope our outdated UH-1H Huey is, well.. outdated.. And as such, as we've seen with the A-10CII and the cancelled KA-50 upgrade (Due to Russia's new military information law), aswell as after the work on the AH-64D and the Hind, would a Huey 2.0 eventually come out ? And would we get an upgrade to the aircraft itself, perhaps a UH-1N Twin Huey?

Heres to really hoping for the better.

As a guy who have way over 3000 hours in the Huey since its '13 release, it is my most played aircraft in DCS, and too long have the UH-1H been neglected and overseen (yes we got Multicrew and i am grateful, however on the grander scale thats peanuts compared to the other more pressing matters). I believe, since ED has revealed nothing about the Huey (i guess they play their cards very close) i believe the time has come for ED to consider upgrading the oldest module currently in DCS.

I think all of us who love the Huey, even as an icon and a legend, deserve an upgrade.Kittyhawk UH-1N 48th scale  (12).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)

The UH-1N isn't actually an upgrade performance wise.

The twin engines offer navy/marine pilots who cannot safely autorotate to ground, a way back to a ship, if an engine fails.

And for the same reason it was used for special forces flights and recon deep in enemy territory, in Vietnam.

But as the engines were flat rated to max 1290 shp you actually get more SHP from the T53 in the 1H (max 1400 shp)

With the twin pack weighing 60lbs more.

And it has a lower service ceiling and greater fuel use.

Why the 1N never replaced all the other Huey in service.

So it would be a lot of work with nearly no benefit. a symmetrical cockpit.

Less cockpit vibration from the electronic stability assist that replaced the mechanical fly bar on the rotor head. 

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

To be honest, I'd much rather see the Cobra gunship. (Any variant) Or if we really need another transport helicopter then something like the Blackhawk, or maybe even Seahawk or even better the S-61 or any of it's variants. 

• Like 4

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I think pilotmi8 commented on this recently, essentially saying no. His reasoning was that UH-1N is almost entirely another helicopter than UH-1H module development wise, and yet it does not add much of anything to experience, so for that much of effort it would be a better idea to do something else like UH-60 etc.

I do agree to be honest.

Honestly, I would prefer a late army Cobra to go with upcoming Mi-24P as they would be of roughly same vintage and mostly similar capabilities. Belsimtek had exactly that planned: AH-1F, maybe they will be back on it after AH-64D eventually. It would also have more in common with a single engine Huey, so perhaps some bits of UH-1H module can be reused in development. Though, I certainly wouldn't say no to an AH-1W of same vintage either!

I am not averse more utility helicopters. On the contrary, the more helos, the merrier! But I think if we get one, it will be something that will feel more unique to potential buyers.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I prefer a texture ovehaul for both inside and outside. Maybe some minor additions.

Plus a Uh60.

• Like 5

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Rather than an new UH-1 model I would really prefer a functionality addition to allow a functional hoist (standard both for SAR and special ops), FLIR and the possibility to drop water "bombs" for fire fight. I agree with Ebabil - texture improvements and if a new model, then th UH-60 / MH-60.

• Like 2

With Belsimtek being absorbed into ED, I'd not count on anything like what that studio produced, anytime soon. A new UH-1 doesnt seem to be on anyone's to-do list. Instead, as we're reading up in the Mi-8 forum, these older modules are very low on the priority.

If we are sticking with a medium lift helicopter then I would like to see the westland lynx.

Empty weight, uh-1 5215lb, lynx 7225lb, uh-60 12511lb, mi-8 15653lb.

Power. uh-1 1400SHP. lynx 2724shp, uh-60 3780shp, Mi-8 3900shp

Top speed uh-1 117knts mi-8 130knts uh-60 159knts lynx 175knts

The lynx is fast and nimble for a medium lift helicopter. It can do full loops.

Plus a lot of Europe have operated them or still do. UK, Norway, Netherlands, Denmark, Portugal, Germany and France.

It can also carry 8 x TOW or 2x 20mm cannon.

If you squint at it, it does look like a Huey with a big nose.

The black hawk is a lot bigger than both the Huey and lynx. 

The lynx is actually slightly shorter than the Huey.

It's the Huey but with everything turned up to 11.

It is the Huey upgrade you are looking for 🙂

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

On 1/26/2021 at 11:40 AM, ebabil said:

I prefer a texture ovehaul for both inside and outside. Maybe some minor additions.

Plus a Uh60.

Yeah, same with the Mi-8MTV-2, I'd go for just a mainly graphical update, including the lights (a few updates back the external lighting on the Huey was revamped significantly, then in the following one they reverted back to the FSX orbs).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

18 hours ago, Quadg said:

If we are sticking with a medium lift helicopter then I would like to see the westland lynx.

good point. But it means a complete new module - which I would support immediately, even as an alternative to a UH-60.

Here, in this topic, we could maybe give the old huey a chance with only minor upgrade, if well defined.

On 1/25/2021 at 4:29 AM, Quadg said:

The UH-1N isn't actually an upgrade performance wise.

The twin engines offer navy/marine pilots who cannot safely autorotate to ground, a way back to a ship, if an engine fails.

And for the same reason it was used for special forces flights and recon deep in enemy territory, in Vietnam.

But as the engines were flat rated to max 1290 shp you actually get more SHP from the T53 in the 1H (max 1400 shp)

With the twin pack weighing 60lbs more.

And it has a lower service ceiling and greater fuel use.

Less cockpit vibration from the electronic stability assist that replaced the mechanical fly bar on the rotor head. 

Well this is news to me. But in all fairness it would be cool with a twin engine huey, despite its performance issues.

But the most important bit of all, is that the current UH-1H gets a sorely needed graphical update, same with the MI8.

perhaps if were lucky ED will upgrade the systems on the Huey aswell, giving us all of the features the huey originally got when it was in its glorydays.

Edited by DeTesla
  • Thanks 2

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)

On 2/5/2021 at 12:27 AM, exhausted said:

I would tend to agree... kind of have to ask why we did the -H in the first place, when the -N or even the -Y is infinitely more applicable to DCS right now.

not to mention the UH1H is a bit of a franken huey as it has the Aussie bushranger gunship setup, but in turn has 80s features like composite rotorblades,s Night vision compatible cockpit, but lacks rwr installation ( external 3d model  is  a later production mod has the provision for where the rwr sensors  would be mounted, nad the US army manual from the 80s does reference a rwr panel and scope in the cockpit) 

same with the Countermeasures system. I dont see it referenced in either Aussie or US army documentation, so im wondering if this was unofficial field mod or foreign operator version it came from.

Either way the Uh1H has a aproached a point where it aught to get external 3d model update to look more high res, and get a cockpit update as well. Maybe also to correct some inconsistencies so its representative of a specific UH1H version. rather than a hybrid of multiple versions.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

On 1/24/2021 at 10:29 PM, Quadg said:

depends which service. UH1N remained the USMC "medium"  Utility helicopter until the UH1Y was adopted. 

Given how much longer it served Uh1N also had more modern features applicable to 21st century scenarios such as modern RWR, missile warning system, AN/ALE 47 countermeasure suite which include  semi and automatic chaff/flare dispensing a, INS/GPS system, and option for mounting FLIR sensor.  All the while retaining lots of steam guages, so its not like it turns into  " piloting an IPad" experience for those who like the older school cockpits.

In Lieu of a UH1N module, a modernization /update of the UH1H model would be welcome as well, considering in the US army it served unto the 2000s with national guard units, although still not remotely as "gucci" as the USMC UH1N's, but at the very least an updated UH1H to a more recent period would meanGPS and new radioset as well as an RWR ( then again  for the latter the current UH1H should have already have had RWR scope and sensors included consider the external airframe has the mounts)

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 2

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents:

All I want for my beloved Huey is a Graphics and sound overhaul for it(and aren’t the mini guns supposed to mount further back next to the rockets?). I want some improved rotorblade fwap fwap fwaps in my headset lmao

As to new variants, I’d much prefer a uh60 with dynamic campaign or at least a broad range of transport and recovery missions

Edited by Relic

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I want two things:

1) Graphically updated UH-1H (refreshed) and fixed/completed with missing features etc.

2) AH-1F/W as was hyped for years.

Of course W for the USMC would make the USN and USMC forces better. I would gladly delay AH-64D to get AH-1 before it.

But UH-1H is showing fairly bad way its age now, that it should be just refreshed ASAP even before any other fixes/corrections.

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

13 minutes ago, Relic said:

(and aren’t the mini guns supposed to mount further back next to the rockets?)

There are two types of body on the Huey.

Short body and long body (bell 204 and bell 205)

In US service the short bodies were gunships and the long bodies were troop carriers.

The H is a long body which was used as both a slick and a gunship by Australian forces in Vietnam, using American armament systems used on the short bodies.

To have a slick and a gunship in US service you would need 2 different helicopters.

Because the short bodies are short, you need to put the guns next to the rockets.

They don't have the row of seats behind the cockpit. And have sliding doors with only a single window. as they are much smaller.

+1000

Instead of other variants, bring back the UH-1H to it's original glory with nowadays graphics and features.

A brand new 3D model in and out, with all the fixes I detailed in my thread " Open Letter to Belsimtek ", would be more than welcome.

Should be closely followed by the almost as old Mi-8.

These are two very popular airframes and should absolutely keep up with the current level of DCS stable, enough to have all manpower dedicated to the Jets !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

On 3/4/2021 at 2:01 PM, Hueyman said:

+1000

Instead of other variants, bring back the UH-1H to it's original glory with nowadays graphics and features.

A brand new 3D model in and out, with all the fixes I detailed in my thread " Open Letter to Belsimtek ", would be more than welcome.

Should be closely followed by the almost as old Mi-8.

These are two very popular airframes and should absolutely keep up with the current level of DCS stable, enough to have all manpower dedicated to the Jets !

My man.

Graphics and bugs is all we need. 

I very seriously doubt we will ever get another MI-8 in DCS so keeping this girl current is essential, same for the Huey UH-1H.

All other variants of the Huey or MI-8 are just new modules that need to be bought at full price in my book.

I reckon the Huey's popularity could make this viable, but probably not the MI-8 (we are very lucky to have her). 

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.