Backup Horizon tumbles

Pmedic548

Had the same earlier today. Very strange behaviour.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

9 hours ago, Pmedic548 said:

It seems like after 15 min or so the backup horizon starts to tumble.  I don't recall ever having an issue with it before, but now its very unstable.  Any suggestions?  

With loss of battery power the standby attitude indicator will function for 9 minutes. This could be a bug with battery power, or operator fault although you need to be blind to not see a battery failure. If what you're seeing is slight drift, this can occur with vertical manoeuvres. Can you please specify what you mean with tumble?

It has to be the vertical maneuver component that causes OP's problem. I see the same thing when flying maneuvers in excess of 9G. Then the backup attitude indicator tends to develop drift. Wouldn't say this is a bug. This is more like a feature, I guess.

1 hour ago, Pmedic548 said:

There isn't lose of battery power in flight  I have tried to reset it, I can turn the knob but I've been unable to "pull" it 

In order to pull the knob, it needs to be nearly centered.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."