Tripple GBU-12 on TER9A.

MRTX

Yes i know that ED has only given us the option for 2 GBU-12 on the TER9A, due to clearence issues on some loadouts.

But it definitely should be technically possible to install 3 GBU-12 on that rack, and this configuration shouldnt interfere with all loadouts.

In the end its the same discussion as with the tripple mavericks, not recommended doesn't mean not technically possible.

So please ED, let it come to the discretion of the user on what they want to do with their aircraft, no matter if it would be done irl. or not!

Edited by MRTX
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, MRTX said:

I think there is a very big difference between asking for a whole system to be integrated, and doing something as simple as using your bomb rack to its fullest and most important possible extent.

You already answered your own question in your first post.

• Like 2

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

6 hours ago, MRTX said:

Yes i know that ED has only given us the option for 2 GBU-12 on the TER9A, due to clearence issues on some loadouts.

But it definitely should be technically possible to install 3 GBU-12 on that rack, and this configuration shouldnt interfere with all loadouts.

In the end its the same discussion as with the tripple mavericks, not recommended doesn't mean not technically possible.

So please ED, let it come to the discretion of the user on what they want to do with their aircraft, no matter if it would be done irl. or not!

From what I know this is not a legal configuration, so we will hopefully not see this configuration added.

• Thanks 2

I guess there are purists who would want as realistic loadouts as possible and I must admit that in this case, I agree with them. 

The thing is that most exotic loadouts I know in dcs were actually tested and flown (there are pictures of them) 

Examples of that are the 6 aim54's on the f14 or the triple maverick rack on the f16. 

But I just can't seem to find any evidence that the triple gbu config has been tested on a f/a-18c. 

I still hope someone could mod these triple gbu's or other crazy, technically possible but never flown, loadouts. Would be fun toying with those around. 

I just don't think we should expect it being officially done by Ed. 

Edited by notproplayer3
  • Like 1

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

On 1/24/2021 at 8:17 PM, notproplayer3 said:

I guess there are purists who would want as realistic loadouts as possible and I must admit that in this case, I agree with them. 

The thing is that most exotic loadouts I know in dcs were actually tested and flown (there are pictures of them)

Carry tests aren't indicative of actual compatibility.

Examples of that are the 6 aim54's on the f14

This was an operationally valid, but very rare loadout AFAIK, and at the end of the day the Tomcat is definitely configured to carry 6x AIM-54s without any modifications, fully integrated.

or the triple maverick rack on the f16.

LAU-88s are something the F-16 can do AFAIK, it's just they don't - it's not operationally valid, but is something the aircraft is completely compatible in its current state, while being something that fits the time frame. A better example would be the 4 HARMs, when AFAIK, only stations 3 and 7 are wired for them. The HARMs on 4 and 6 are physically incompatible with the F-16s systems without sufficient modifications (i.e the requisite wiring to those stations, which at least handles weapon video), even though they may be able to be carried by these stations.

The one thing I don't get with the GBU-12s is that they're restricted to doubles because the 3rd would have clearance issues with the external wing tanks, though is otherwise perfectly capable of being carried as a triple on the TER-9A. Hypothetically, if you didn't fly with the wing tanks (which is rare, but certainly possible, way more possible than the HARM on stations 4 and 6), there wouldn't be a problem at all.

I'd have to see a loadout diagram before making any conclusions though

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 6

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 5 weeks later...

Just seen while researching another topic: In the german wikipedia there is a 10 GBU 12 in total listed as regular payload for the viper but with the BRU-42 TER.
Quote: "2 × BRU-42 TER (Triple Ejection Rack) mit je drei (total zehn) Raytheon GBU-12 „Paveway IV“ (lasergelenkte Gleitbombe 227 kg/500 lb)"

english: 2 × BRU-42 TER (Triple Ejection Rack) with 3 each (in total ten) Raytheon GBU-12 „Paveway IV“ (laserguided Glidebomb 227 kg/500 lb)

Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16

Edited by jojojung

Just seen while researching another topic: In the german wikipedia there is a 10 GBU 12 in total listed as regular payload for the viper but with the BRU-42 TER.
Quote: "2 × BRU-42 TER (Triple Ejection Rack) mit je drei (total zehn) Raytheon GBU-12 „Paveway IV“ (lasergelenkte Gleitbombe 227 kg/500 lb)"
english: 2 × BRU-42 TER (Triple Ejection Rack) with 3 each (in total ten) Raytheon GBU-12 „Paveway IV“ (laserguided Glidebomb 227 kg/500 lb)

Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16

that math doesnt add up 2 TERs with 3 bombs each is 6 bombs not 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vor 7 Minuten schrieb llOPPOTATOll:

I dont speak german but the english wiki says 6 bombs max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I know. Kind of confusing! In german wikipedia it is said that two stations can be loaded with 2x Tripple Racks = 6 and on the onther to stations a TER with two gbu-12 only = 4. Total GBU-12 = 10.

Would be the same loadout type like with the CBU-97 at the moment in DCS.

Edited by jojojung
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jojojung said:

Yeah I know. Kind of confusing! In german wikipedia it is said that two stations can be loaded with 2x Tripple Racks = 6 and on the onther to stations a TER with two gbu-12 only = 4. Total GBU-12 = 10.

Would be the same loadout type like with the CBU-97 at the moment in DCS.

Wikipedia is not a good source dude!

• Thanks 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Just because three bombs fit on the racks doesn't mean the rack with three bombs fits on the plane, nor does it mean that three bombs will separate cleanly from the rack when mounted to an F-16. As far as I know, all any of us can do here is speculate. We know the USAF only slant loads GBU-12s on TERs on the F-16. Clearance issues with external tanks inboard makes a lot of sense. But would there be clearance issues with other stores on the inboard pylons? Could an F-16 carry 3x GBU-12s outboard and a GBU-31 inboard? Could it only carry 3x GBU-12s if the inboard station was empty? Unless someone knows the answers to these questions, it doesn't seem worth it to make a change to the game based on guesses. The people who do, definitively, know the answers to these questions - the USAF - don't ever load 3x GBU-12s on TERs. 

• Like 1

I love these threads, you know the rack has three stations and fighter jets are like Legos so you can snap pieces together wherever you want. Lol 

The should allow you to do this in the game, but make the inboard bombs explode when they contact your aircraft and or rip your tanks off. Same thing with triple mavericks, allow it but have the inboard missile damage your stabs when it fires. 

That way we can simulate the effects of prohibited stores loading. 🙂

• Like 2

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Toilet bomb! on skyraider!  its not officially authorized in the manual! someone tell that pilot's maintenance crew to not to mount a toilet on his BOMB RACK! 

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

On 1/24/2021 at 8:39 AM, Cupra said:

Same with 4 HARMS.. once opend the box you can not explain why that works and other stuff does not... 

indeed cant wait till we get requests for F15 with AIm54! 

main-qimg-dc01705e0d34c39bba389f1cbf663b

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 4:14 PM, Wizard_03 said:

I love these threads, you know the rack has three stations and fighter jets are like Legos so you can snap pieces together wherever you want. Lol 

The should allow you to do this in the game, but make the inboard bombs explode when they contact your aircraft and or rip your tanks off. Same thing with triple mavericks, allow it but have the inboard missile damage your stabs when it fires. 

That way we can simulate the effects of prohibited stores loading. 🙂

The problem with that is that DCS does not model the aerodynamic interactions between the aircraft and a released store with any amount of complexity. I'm sure it's entirely possible to load and release weapons in DCS that would cause a collision in the real world.

And then you'd need to add some kind of UI element to the loadout screen to indicate which weapons are risky or unrealistic to load. Otherwise we'll have lots of people on here trying to figure out why their plane keeps exploding when they drop a bomb that the game let them load. 

• Like 1