Century serise -especially the Hun

upyr1

Would love them; sadly ED doesn't seem interested.

I would love the F-100D and F-104G in particular.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I would also like to see the F-100 come to DCS but ED has already stated that they are not interested in century fighters at this time. So it would pretty much be up to a 3rd party to do it.

I feel like its going to take a new 3rd party that has a passion for century fighters for it to be possible.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 10:06 PM, Evoman said:

I would also like to see the F-100 come to DCS but ED has already stated that they are not interested in century fighters at this time. So it would pretty much be up to a 3rd party to do it.

I feel like its going to take a new 3rd party that has a passion for century fighters for it to be possible.

It's a shame really, the early Cold War (1946 - early 60s) is pretty disappointing in DCS IMO; a grand total of 2-3 aircraft, so far only 2 ground units (with 2-3 more on the way, though 1 of those is essentially the same gun) + whatever you can recycle from the WWII assets pack, and no map to speak of or planned.

I just wish developers could pick an era (I don't care which), and then get that fleshed out before doing more. Right now DCS is literally a mile wide, but an inch deep, with aircraft spanning the mid-40s to late 2010s, but if you pick any one decade in between and there's very little, and is much less comprehensive.

The only real difference is WWII, which is the only era I've found that not only as contemporary BLUFOR and REDFOR modules (of similar quality and in similar numbers), as well as 2 dedicated, fairly well fitting maps (with a 3rd coming), with a decent set of AI assets for BLUFOR and REDFOR of similar quality and in similar number on each side (there's still plenty that can be added, especially ships (which true to form for DCS, is not far off absent) but WWII is by far the most comprehensive era).

Cold War; plenty of AI assets, probably the majority of them too, but then hardly any modules, and typically 1 for each decade (F-5E-3 for the 70s, Mirage 2000C for the 80s, F-14 and Viggen for the early 90s), with so far 2 REDFOR modules on the way, one of them a helicopter. 

Mid 2000s has 3 popular BLUFOR modules (A-10C, F-16CM, F/A-18C), but no REDFOR contemporaries, and very little post 2000s assets (air defences are still early 90s at best, though Pantsir-S1 is coming, which brings the total number of 2000s+ air defences up to 1). 2010s has a few too (A-10C II, AV-8B N/A and JF-17), but again, no REDFOR contemporary (nor is there likely to be any for the forseeable future). 

Edited by Northstar98
formatting, spelling
  • Like 5

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I hope to see these Century series fighters

F-100D

F-101A or C

F-102A

F-104C or G

F-105D and G

F-106A Pre and Post Project Six Shooter

F-107 (might not work as its a prototype and I rather have it as a mod , not an official module)

F-110 (redesignated as F-4 , Airforce Phantoms)

F-111 (A and F)

Also, the F-100D I hope to see is a late era F-100D (Project High wire 68) with Options for some Aim-9J/P

On 1/25/2021 at 5:40 PM, Bravelink03 said:

I hope to see these Century series fighters

F-100D

F-101A or C

F-102A

F-104C or G

F-105D and G

F-106A Pre and Post Project Six Shooter

F-107 (might not work as its a prototype and I rather have it as a mod , not an official module)

F-110 (redesignated as F-4 , Airforce Phantoms)

F-111 (A and F)

Also, the F-100D I hope to see is a late era F-100D (Project High wire 68) with Options for some Aim-9J/P

I absolutely agree, though FWIW Century series are F-10X aircraft; the Phantom, Aardvark and also the Nighthawk aren't part of it (though I would love a Phantom E/S/K/M and an F-111F). 

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 1

System:

I should've added either the F-100C or F-100A for the Hun. However, For variants for the F-104 or F-105, I definitely forgot the F-104J or F-104S/ASA and the F-105A. The century series is one of the most underappreciated series of aircraft, people write them off as terrible or bad at roles they were forced into , (F-104Gs as Ground attack aircraft while designed as an Air Superiority fighter). But, they would be a nice middle ground between late 60s early 70s fighters (F-4E and F-5E) and the Korean Era of fighters. 

TLDR: Century series need to be added to DCS and are a good starting point for people trying to go from Sabre to Phantom II

• Like 5

I would love to see some late '50s and '60s birds in DCS. Not only 100's series, there is a lot of nice planes around to pick up: J29 Tunnan, Saab 32 Lansen, Hawker Hunter, J35 Draken, Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer, Mystere IV, Mirage III and V... lots and lots of pretty birds out there. But one small problem - nobody would fly them now. From 2nd gen we have lonely MiG-19P, that doesn't have a match: for Sabre it is too modern to catch up, for F-5 it is too obsolete. And many of those airplanes are by design interceptors: they really shine when doing what they were designed to do - hunting down bombers. So having that kind of role separation would require nice MP overhaul to be interesting. I know there are servers that operate this way, but you also would need to buy at least 3 modules to cover the dedicated roles (intercept, dogfight, ground attack), not to mention learning to semi-competent level. Don't get me wrong! I love the era, and I am all in for 60's birds. I like their limitations, the technology, the variety, before it was killed by one-size-fits-all multirole. And from business side of things it could be nice idea, to have more dedicated modules to sell. But on the other hand, probably lot of people would buy modern 4th gen, that flies pretty similar to the other "aerial calculator", and can cover a lot of various tasks.

Having said that... English Electric Lightning is coming. That would be first match for MiG-19, considering timeline. Maybe we will see more 2nd gen? Mirage F-1 was competent 3rd gen (also lacking representation in DCS a bit), and it will be nice addition. So maybe, 2nd and 3rd gen birds will gain some attention? I really hope for it.

Edited by Fairey Gannet
Typo.
  • Like 3

On 1/31/2021 at 5:05 PM, Fairey Gannet said:

I would love to see some late '50s and '60s birds in DCS. Not only 100's series, there is a lot of nice planes around to pick up: J29 Tunnan, Saab 32 Lansen, Hawker Hunter, J35 Draken, Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer, Mystere IV, Mirage III and V... lots and lots of pretty birds out there. But one small problem - nobody would fly them now. From 2nd gen we have lonely MiG-19P, that doesn't have a match: for Sabre it is too modern to catch up, for F-5 it is too obsolete. And many of those airplanes are by design interceptors: they really shine when doing what they were designed to do - hunting down bombers. So having that kind of role separation would require nice MP overhaul to be interesting. I know there are servers that operate this way, but you also would need to buy at least 3 modules to cover the dedicated roles (intercept, dogfight, ground attack), not to mention learning to semi-competent level. Don't get me wrong! I love the era, and I am all in for 60's birds. I like their limitations, the technology, the variety, before it was killed by one-size-fits-all multirole. And from business side of things it could be nice idea, to have more dedicated modules to sell. But on the other hand, probably lot of people would buy modern 4th gen, that flies pretty similar to the other "aerial calculator", and can cover a lot of various tasks.

Having said that... English Electric Lightning is coming. That would be first match for MiG-19, considering timeline. Maybe we will see more 2nd gen? Mirage F-1 was competent 3rd gen (also lacking representation in DCS a bit), and it will be nice addition. So maybe, 2nd and 3rd gen birds will gain some attention? I really hope for it.

The Crusader is on the way too 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, upyr1 said:

The Crusader is on the way too 

Yes, indeed! My only concern, truth be told, is not about the frames themselves, rather the way they could be fully explored. Multiplayer (SP campaigns can be tailored more neatly) is basically score-fest as it stands now, and to be honest it rarely replicates conditions of that era's conflict. Without proper setting we will get many things wrong, in my opinion. I mean, you know where I am going with it. I really hope for more Cold War Wings, but I also hope that dynamic campaign mechanics also could redefine multiplayer in the way, that all quirks and qualities those aircraft had could really shine. I think though, that solid portion of 2nd/3rd gens and more solutions from dynamic campaign can be actually way to go. 

Edited by Fairey Gannet
  • Like 3

Well ED did state...they have no plans of doing any century series planes...maybe the other 3rd parties can. We are also running out of DOABLE MODERN jets and there is a limit there we cannot cross due to security concerns for too too modern planes.

Still, present service and recent retired aircrafts are hard to get info on. Also there are some century series planes with hard to get info...so don't expect prototypes or short career planes.

Personally from what I believe on the doable realistic expectation for the century series/early and mid cold war jets are as follows:

USA

1) F-4 Phantom - Most famous and still has present users, it had good sales too, plus combat rich history. Carrier version can have carrier landing fun. This will garner good sales, it is the most awaited.

2)  F-104 series - Barring the plenty of crashes for G version...it still hold plenty of records and was NASA's favoured plane for tests in those era. An exotic plane that also has some combat history. Had seen good sales too.

3) A-4 Skyhawk series - Had good sales and combat rich history. Carrier version can have carrier landing fun. There is a mod...

4)F-100 - OP choice here. OK sales. This plane has seen action only in Vietnam. Still, doable plane. But will still be a souped up F-86 Saber on steroids. Well, it is called SUPER Saber...

5). F-105- It was a USA only exclusive plane. Only seen combat at Vietnam at most.

6) F-106 - Has gun option in later models. It was just an exotic plane...but still has gun cannon availability in the age of finicky missiles at that time. F-102 is the predecessor that lacked the gun, but developed from that. But F-102 had seen sales plus combat.

Russia

1) Su-17 series : Good sales and has seen plenty of combat. Doable. This isn't exactly a century series age plane...there is always the Su-7, which it was developed from, but that only had combat history for the Indian air force. Su-17 is not truly a century series plane...

2) Su-15 - Not exactly century series. But the only plane that had an option of carrying guns in the age of finicky missiles.

Other Euro Nations

1) Dassault Super Mystere - Seen OK sales and good combat history among Israeli air force. We have a Map for it too...

2) Hawker Hunter series - Seen plenty sales and rich combat history.

3) SAAB 35 Draken - Not exactly close to century series...but its, well, exotic. Not much combat history either...

Out of the above, F-106, F-102 and the Su-15 would have a hard time getting documents for...some of its systems and avionics were at those time considered very top secret. Also some of the early century series hard documents are hard to get. Much like trying to get info on Japanese WW2 planes minus the zero...

I've only added gun capable plane coz during century series age, missiles were kinda finicky and if the missile missed and you're out of weapons. It would be a very awkward moment just staring at the big supposed target:biggrin:, lets say a bomber and your out of missiles and would be thinking, If only I had a gun/cannon now...

Like USA Russian true century series planes are exotic and hardly any info docs and short services. Examples of those are the Su-9 and Su-11 and they do not have guns. There are several versions of Mig 21 and there is the Mig 17. But we already have a Mig 21 and a Mig 15. It would not amount to much sales for Mig 17 or the other early Mig 21 variants.

I HAVE NOT added what is already being or possibly worked on.

Edited by jojyrocks
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jojyrocks said:

F-105- It was a USA only exclusive plane. Only seen combat at Vietnam at most.

F-105 saw more combat than some 95% jet fighters.

A lot more combat than F-14, F/A-18, MiG-29, Su-27, Mirage 2000 etc.

Real combat in high threat environment, not some dropping single bomb on some helpless terrorists/insurgencies with 0 risk.

Nearly 400 had been lost to the enemy, as bombers they shoot down ~27 enemy fighters.

But IIRC F-105 documentation could be lost so IDK if it would be possible to model it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jojyrocks said:

USA

1) F-4 Phantom - Most famous and still has present users, it had good sales too, plus combat rich history. Carrier version can have carrier landing fun. This will garner good sales, it is the most awaited.

2)  F-104 series - Barring the plenty of crashes for G version...it still hold plenty of records and was NASA's favoured plane for tests in those era. An exotic plane that also has some combat history. Had seen good sales too.

3) A-4 Skyhawk series - Had good sales and combat rich history. Carrier version can have carrier landing fun. There is a mod...

4)F-100 - OP choice here. OK sales. This plane has seen action only in Vietnam. Still, doable plane. But will still be a souped up F-86 Saber on steroids. Well, it is called SUPER Saber...

5). F-105- It was a USA only exclusive plane. Only seen combat at Vietnam at most.

6) F-106 - Has gun option in later models. It was just an exotic plane...but still has gun cannon availability in the age of finicky missiles at that time. F-102 is the predecessor that lacked the gun, but developed from that. But F-102 had seen sales plus combat.

Russia

1) Su-17 series : Good sales and has seen plenty of combat. Doable. This isn't exactly a century series age plane...there is always the Su-7, which it was developed from, but that only had combat history for the Indian air force. Su-17 is not truly a century series plane...

2) Su-15 - Not exactly century series. But the only plane that had an option of carrying guns in the age of finicky missiles.

Other Euro Nations

1) Dassault Super Mystere - Seen OK sales and good combat history among Israeli air force. We have a Map for it too...

3) SAAB 35 Draken - Not exactly close to century series...but its, well, exotic. Not much combat history either...

Personally, for the ones you listed I'd add the F-102 in there. Also Su-7 saw service in Arab air forces in the six day war. Other than that, I feel like you got the best selection of aircraft for the era 

image003-13.jpgHere's a beautiful F-100D using the Gorgeous SEA paint scheme 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bies said:

F-105 saw more combat than some 95% jet fighters.

A lot more combat than F-14, F/A-18, MiG-29, Su-27, Mirage 2000 etc.

Real combat in high threat environment, not some dropping single bomb on some helpless terrorists/insurgencies with 0 risk.

Nearly 400 had been lost to the enemy, as bombers they shoot down ~27 enemy fighters.

But IIRC F-105 documentation could be lost so IDK if it would be possible to model it.

I was comparing the F-100D with early to mid cold war jets. Not the present day jets in war experience. I certainly did point out F-100D had seen good amount of experience...in Vietnam and high tension situations in Europe, Cuban missile crisis etc...

I specifically added the word "RICH" combat history to denote actual combat in the OLD days, before the 70s and 80s . Not the current era easy target helpless terror dudes with zero risk where, most of the combat are to just test some weapons and live test jets.

• Like 1

^^^ exactly,the ease of launching an Aim-120C and getting a kill is replaced with BFM and ACM skills with older but still capable weapons , (Aim-9B,E and possibly Js for the F-100D) . I for one enjoy this kind of air combat. Side note, would you guys like to see a F-100D as it was for ANG units (replaced the F-100's Afterburner with the one from the F-102).

Edited by Bravelink03
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bravelink03 said:

Personally, for the ones you listed I'd add the F-102 in there. Also Su-7 saw service in Arab air forces in the six day war. Other than that, I feel like you got the best selection of aircraft for the era 

I really do like the F-102. That plane looks beautiful. But one thing that bugs me about it is, the lack of fun value. Lacking in gun option. I mean, lets present a scenario where you have managed to come behind a an enemy plane, say a Mig-21 or Mig 19 and (F-102 did see service in Vietnam). There aren't much of many options you could do with an F-102 other than as a makeshift fodder interceptor and Single run CAS support.

The missiles the F-102  carried were finicky at best and trying to fight a maneuverable planes is gamble. When you do miss and run out of missiles, you'd be wishing for a gun backup. It does not have a gun. It was pretty much a fodder plane in Vietnam. Reportedly out of around 54 missiles fired only 5 scored hits.

Vietnam veteran Fighter ace, Col. Robin Olds was VERY critical of the missile that the F-102 types only carried. I know he does not fly the F-102. But the early Phantoms were equipped with the AIM 4 Falcon series missiles. It was only fit against slow flying bombers or unassuming fighters that did not see you coming.

So instead of the F-102, I added the F-106 in the list as the later models did have guns as backup option.

Yes Sukhoi 7 did see ACTION with Egyptians...as well as Indian air force and the later did reportedly manage some air to air kills. They also did have sales with other nations...albeit not combat.

Most of my additions are in regard to overall sales POV and fun value. A module does take around 4 years and above to make and so for the More SALES point of view is more viable goal to push forward for more profitable development than settling for Specific set planes that only interests few.

For fun value, it must have a GUN OPTION if missiles fail as last resort and has to have some secondary air to air or ground pound ability. This only applies to Century series jets where...missiles of those days were finicky at best on maneuverable targets.

Edited by jojyrocks
  • Like 1

I am personally more into mid 70s and 80s in DCS, but there are a few century series aircraft I'd enjoy having regardless.

F-100 is the foremost. Served in quite a few airforces, outright gorgeous, pretty good payload, and a nice counterpart to MiG-19.

F-105 was a great fighter bomber, and then a wild weasel, I would love it, but apparently documents were pretty much shredded when manufacturer went bankrupt, and not many airframes survived either as far as I know.

F-104, I am really not particularly interested in, but would be cool, and I'd eventually get it if only for the challenge of handling it. It would probably need to be a F-104G as a relatively representative variant all over the world.

F-102 and F-106... well I would actually really like trying these out, despite the fact they are so limited in many ways. An American pure delta pure interceptor is somehow so alien, it makes me want to play around with them. But that said, even I would probably wait for a sale on these, and I am strongly in the "more obscure the better" camp. Don't know if it would be a feasible product with average DCS customer in mind.

Now, F-111 isn't exactly century series I guess, but I would all over that one!

Of the none US things suggested above, most doesn't really fit as century equivalents though. Draken is a more MiG-21 contemporary, and frankly, I'd personally want a Draken before any I've listed above, but it's something else than a century series equivalent. Same goes for Su-17, in both that I would prefer seeing it over century series, and in it being representative of a later stage of aircraft than century series. If we do get a Su-17, I'd want it to be M3 or M4. Su-7 is the more fitting suggestion as a century counterpart, but honestly I don't see much attraction for it. Su-15 is also a later interceptor, I'd be interested in it, but it is a very niche plane to do, and the only fame it has is more on side of infamy than fame. BTW as far as I know, Su-15 doesn't actually have internal guns, but usually carried gunpods.

• Like 3

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 12:04 AM, jojyrocks said:

Well ED did state...they have no plans of doing any century series planes...maybe the other 3rd parties can. We are also running out of DOABLE MODERN jets and there is a limit there we cannot cross due to security concerns for too too modern planes.

Still, present service and recent retired aircrafts are hard to get info on. Also there are some century series planes with hard to get info...so don't expect prototypes or short career planes.

Personally from what I believe on the doable realistic expectation for the century series/early and mid cold war jets are as follows:

USA

I hope when we get a lot of Phantom models. 

I believe the G was the most common, and during the cold war it was the NATO  jet

The mod is awesome.

I selected the F-100 as my century jet as choice since I think  it is probably the best USAF OpFor for the MiG-19.

Sadly I don't know if we have enough data for the Thud. If we did this is another great one. My dream would be to have the D and the G. 

Listening to Bruce Gordon's videos really make me interested in the 106 and 102.

Russia

The Fitter is awesome, they would be great for a Fulda Gap or Afghanistan map

Other Euro Nations

Another good choice to go head to head with the MiG-19

Out of the above, F-106, F-102 and the Su-15 would have a hard time getting documents for...some of its systems and avionics were at those time considered very top secret. Also some of the early century series hard documents are hard to get. Much like trying to get info on Japanese WW2 planes minus the zero...

I've only added gun capable plane coz during century series age, missiles were kinda finicky and if the missile missed and you're out of weapons. It would be a very awkward moment just staring at the big supposed target:biggrin:, lets say a bomber and your out of missiles and would be thinking, If only I had a gun/cannon now...

Like USA Russian true century series planes are exotic and hardly any info docs and short services. Examples of those are the Su-9 and Su-11 and they do not have guns. There are several versions of Mig 21 and there is the Mig 17. But we already have a Mig 21 and a Mig 15. It would not amount to much sales for Mig 17 or the other early Mig 21 variants.

I HAVE NOT added what is already being or possibly worked on.

over all a good list. 

• Like 4

On 2/2/2021 at 2:44 PM, Bravelink03 said:

Personally, if F-111 would be included, I hope to see F-111A and the F-111F

Absolutely, I would love an F-111F with Pave Tack, only thing is though it isn't a part of the century series; which are the F-10X aircraft.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 1

System:

7 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Absolutely, I would love an F-111F with Pave Spike, only thing is though it isn't a part of the century series; which are the F-10X aircraft.

Still we should get the F-111 and the F-110 had to get the f-4 plug in

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 8:00 AM, WinterH said:

I am personally more into mid 70s and 80s in DCS, but there are a few century series aircraft I'd enjoy having regardless.

The F-105 and 106 both served into the 1980s. The F-105G was retired in 1984.

F-100 is the foremost. Served in quite a few airforces, outright gorgeous, pretty good payload, and a nice counterpart to MiG-19.

This is why I want the hun.

F-105 was a great fighter bomber, and then a wild weasel, I would love it, but apparently documents were pretty much shredded when manufacturer went bankrupt, and not many airframes survived either as far as I know.

S

All the surviving documents are available at the Smithsonian. We might never be able to get an hi thud in dcs but I want a ai thuds and MAC thuds. 

F-104, I am really not particularly interested in, but would be cool, and I'd eventually get it if only for the challenge of handling it. It would probably need to be a F-104G as a relatively representative variant all over the world.

F-102 and F-106... well I would actually really like trying these out, despite the fact they are so limited in many ways. An American pure delta pure interceptor is somehow so alien, it makes me want to play around with them. But that said, even I would probably wait for a sale on these, and I am strongly in the "more obscure the better" camp. Don't know if it would be a feasible product with average DCS customer in mind.

If possible I hope those get bundled together the 106 started life as a 102 upgrade 

Now, F-111 isn't exactly century series I guess, but I would all over that one!

Of the none US things suggested above, most doesn't really fit as century equivalents though. Draken is a more MiG-21 contemporary, and frankly, I'd personally want a Draken before any I've listed above, but it's something else than a century series equivalent. Same goes for Su-17, in both that I would prefer seeing it over century series, and in it being representative of a later stage of aircraft than century series. If we do get a Su-17, I'd want it to be M3 or M4. Su-7 is the more fitting suggestion as a century counterpart, but honestly I don't see much attraction for it. Su-15 is also a later interceptor, I'd be interested in it, but it is a very niche plane to do, and the only fame it has is more on side of infamy than fame. BTW as far as I know, Su-15 doesn't actually have internal guns, but usually carried gunpods.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 7:45 PM, upyr1 said:

Still we should get the F-111 and the F-110 had to get the f-4 plug in

Absolutely!

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

System:

On 3/8/2021 at 8:51 PM, upyr1 said:

I hope we can talk them into doing them AI

Yeah, that would be certainly better than nothing. 

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 1

System: