Su-33 AI with refueling pod

Admiral_ZIPANGU

In operations on the carrier Admiral Kuznetsov, the Su-33 can equip refueling pods to refuel other operational aircraft.
Since the player cannot operate the refueling pod in DCS, how about adding an AI Su-33 (Su-33 Tanker) equipped with a refueling pod?

• Like 4

Phantom Forever

F-4EJ / F-4EJ Kai 1971-2021

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use DeepL Translate. Well, I can speak Japanese.

• 4 weeks later...

I am suprised to read about this feature (capability) of the SU-33. I have always been under the impression that the greatest drawback to the ramp style launch system on the Kuz was the lack of a sufficient payload for the SU-33 to get off the deck. If that is the case, it would seem a bit unlikely that it could launch with a buddy pack and sufficient fuel to be of much value to the rest of the strike package, either going out or recovering. That being said, I like the idea, especially if a player could fill that role! 👍

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@AG-51_Razor

Regarding the ramp launch on the Kuz, it is entirely dependent on how much of a running start you get. The front launch positions are pretty crap, payload wise. I think like 40-50% fuel and a partial weapons load, but the rear launch position can take off more or less at capacity. The problem is less that they CAN'T, but that it requires a very low sortie rate to do (one at a time). In the case of buddy tanking, he's filling with fuel, strapping on one or two pumps, and presumably no/few weapons. It'd definitely be feasible to take off from the rear position like that, and it would allow the front launching planes to trade even more fuel for extra weapons if they're going to tank shortly after launch.

Whole thing is still sub-optimal, but then the Kuz was never really intended as a true Western style supercarrier. Those fighters are basically aerial extensions of the ship's CIWS and SAM systems. They weren't ever really intended to fly very far from it. 

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2