Would it be super dooper hard to just.... adjust the AI so it doesn't go into an infinite vertical fight every time after like 3-4 turns?
I'm paying big money for a lot of modules, and I want to enjoy flying against a competent AI. I kinda feel like competent AI should be a HUGE focus for the developers of a flight sim focused on combat. 

I'm not asking for a world class AI with super complex algorithms simulating Chuck Yeager. But maybe some kind of if-than logic to stop the AI from thinking "I know what to do - infinite vertical rate fight!" every single time.

• Like 1

lots of posts in the AI forum about the AI logic. not trying to be a smarta** but since you know what the AI is going to do why don't you lure it in to fight your fight?

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums

==========================================

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain

Alienware Aurora R12, 2TB M.2 PCIe, SSD RTX 3090, i9 11900KF, 128GB RAM

18 hours ago, silverdevil said:

lots of posts in the AI forum about the AI logic. not trying to be a smarta** but since you know what the AI is going to do why don't you lure it in to fight your fight?

The issue is if you have the AI on the defensive, all they seem to do is do vertical loop after vertical loop. For me this is no issue, but it's completely braindead for the AI to just keep doing it over and over again.

And with every PvE fight I've done (which isn't all that many) every time I get them on the back foot it's just straight into a loop.

I get behind a Phantom in a MiG-21bis - vertical loops.

I get behind a MiG-29 in an F/A-18C - vertical loops.

I get behind an Su-27 in an F-14/F-16C - vertical loops.

I get behind a MiG-23 in an F-5E-3 or Viggen, you guessed it, vertical loops.

>95% of the time, I win, but I just wish they'd try something different.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

i feel you. what skill level are you using? also 1v1 i found is not that dynamic. 1v2, 2v2, 3v3, etc seem a bit more challenging.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain

Alienware Aurora R12, 2TB M.2 PCIe, SSD RTX 3090, i9 11900KF, 128GB RAM

Is it just me, or is it that Ace level AI are not subjected to the laws of physics?

When analyzing dogfights with me in an F-16 vs an Ace Mig-29, I just couldn't out-turn him. Pulled maximum G and had high energy, but the Mig-29 would still win every merge.

The M29 also seems to have infinite amount of energy, coming out of a slow, rolling scissors into a quick vertical loop. That's insanely frustrating. Is it me, or are the AIs unrealistically competent?

AI are broken all across the board, and have been for many years. Their radars detect you from 100~200nm out, they instantaneously react to missile launches as if they can read the code when you press the pickle button, they slide laterally in space before/after turns during normal flight causing mid-airs with players, and they have unlimited energy allowing them to go into vertical fights whenever you get on their tail. 

Supposedly the AI are being worked on, but it must be behind the scenes, because I have not seen any improvement since LOMAC Flaming Cliffs 2.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: "Clutch"

Z390 Aorus Elite | i5-9600k @4.7Ghz | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | Odyssey Plus | Warthog HOTAS | 20cm Extension

Thanks.

It's been very discouraging, barely being able to take on a Mig-29 with an F-16 (I win about 90% of the time, but after a long and unrealistic fight).

I often thought the AI's flight characteristic is "off the chart". Now after reading some posts about it in this forum, I'm quite confident that it is true.

16 hours ago, silverdevil said:

i feel you. what skill level are you using? also 1v1 i found is not that dynamic. 1v2, 2v2, 3v3, etc seem a bit more challenging.

Usually at least high/veteran or ace, other times random. Though to me it just seems to give AI aircraft a performance buff - they're defensive BFM tactics are still just vertical loops. 

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

gain.png

hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL

Yeah, they cheat. Some of them, like the MiG-15, cheat really badly. We need a smarter AI, so that it they won't have to cheat, and that they won't be so boring. I don't fly WWII, so I'll leave it to those who do to weigh in on whether the latest effort in that direction looks promising.