Quick TWS questions

bonesvf103

If you have the azimuth setting at say 40, in the TID, the diagonal lines radiating out from the bottom represent a total of 40 degrees, or 20 deg on either side  of your nose, right?

Next, the notion of TWS only does 20 az 4 bar or 40 az 2 bar.  It seems that the only time this applies is when I’m in TWS-M.  Is that right?  Because it seems when I have it on TWS-A, it doesn’t matter where I have the knobs set, the system chooses 20 az 4 Bar or 40 az 2 bar as needed to keep all contacts in the scan.

when in TWS-M, if I put her in 20 az, 4 bar then changed the bar, it then defaults to just 20/4, right?  If I then changed it to 40 az but kept the bars at 4, then would it just default to 40/2 or to 20/4?

I ask because I seem to get varying results but I’m sure there a plausible explanation for it.

Thanks!

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

40 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

If you have the azimuth setting at say 40, in the TID, the diagonal lines radiating out from the bottom represent a total of 40 degrees, or 20 deg on either side  of your nose, right?

Next, the notion of TWS only does 20 az 4 bar or 40 az 2 bar.  It seems that the only time this applies is when I’m in TWS-M.  Is that right?  Because it seems when I have it on TWS-A, it doesn’t matter where I have the knobs set, the system chooses 20 az 4 Bar or 40 az 2 bar as needed to keep all contacts in the scan.

when in TWS-M, if I put her in 20 az, 4 bar then changed the bar, it then defaults to just 20/4, right?  If I then changed it to 40 az but kept the bars at 4, then would it just default to 40/2 or to 20/4?

I ask because I seem to get varying results but I’m sure there a plausible explanation for it.

Thanks!

v6,

boNes

1. Yes, the lines on the TID will be angled to correspond to the radar’s azimuth setting.

2. it only corresponds to TWSM, yes. TWSA is all computer controlled.

3. You can change the azimuth setting all you want in TWSM. The bar setting will always correspond to 4 or 2 depending on the azimuth setting.

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

Ok thanks.

for #3...ok, so what if your are in TWS M and you are at 20 deg, 4 bar and then you change the azimuth to 65...what will happen.  It will stay 20/4?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

The manual at is quite useful on this http://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#pulse-doppler-mode

"As the computer routine calculating these tracks need a set track refresh time of 2 seconds this limits available azimuth scan area and bar settings to either 20° 4 bars or 40° 2 bars. When entering TWS the computer automatically selects the ±20° 4 bar scan disregarding the RIO set scan volumes unless those are set to ±40° 2 bars in which case that is used instead."

If you are in TWS and have anything but 40/2bar set, it will be in 20/4bar.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Yes, I've read the manual over and over about this but it wasn't really sinking in because the way it is presented is a bit confusing as it doesn't in this excerpt specify for TWS-A or TWS-M.  I actually had to try it myself to really fully grasp what was going on and see what happens under different settings.

So I'm clear now, thanks.

My new question is this:  I get that the range of PDS is 110 miles and RWS and TWS is 90--but I would think that the datalink would still show contacts beyond that--So how come when I have the radar at 200 miles and the AWACS is calling that the bandit is 150 miles away right in front of my nose in TWS, I don't see a DL contact in my TID?  I have the DL on, the right freq, the correct switches, and the DL button by the HCU on.

v6,

boNes

AFAIK DCS has some difficulties showing DL contacts over great distances.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The AWACs is not an all seeing eye, it has a finite range and can be notched or an opponent can use terrain to mask. Also bear in mind it takes time for a radar contact to become a track and then to be transferred by DL, it may be the case the track is being lost before it can be conveyed by DL but is being relayed by voice radio to you.

In these situations I try to keep a mental map of intermittent radar & DL contacts and tracks as well as voice comms on contacts. Should it be better then it is, perhaps, it is representative of the real life difficulties of maintaining a radar track and picture, probably.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄