Problem "lighting the cans"

Similar problem to a post below, but mine is OPPOSITE behavior.  Other poster can't do anything without going to full afterburner.  My Thrustmaster WH throttle works fine on the increase/decrease, but burner won't light at all.  Pretty sure it has something to do with the detent, but I'm not 100% sure where to go to correct it.  Tips on which settings to poke around?  Thanks!

HOMEBREW RIG:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS & Pedals (finally!!)

MODULES:

F/A-18C Hornet, Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Test Range Map

9 hours ago, statrekmike said:

Do you have the finger lifts enabled in the special options? 

On the Settings/Special main tab - - afterburner detent setting is set to Always On.

On the Settings/Controls main tab, Throttle Quadrant dropdown - - there aren't any bindings on the finger lift options

FYI, I have *not* changed any of the physical hardware on the throttle.  I've seen it mentioned in a few places, but is there a piece that needs to be physically flipped or something like that?  Never quite understood the stuff I've been able to find, but probably haven't looked in the right place for correct instructions yet.

Edited by Vol4Ever

HOMEBREW RIG:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS & Pedals (finally!!)

MODULES:

F/A-18C Hornet, Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Test Range Map

There is a cover plate between the two throttle levers held in position by two allen head bolts. Remove them, pull the throttle back and look down inside in front of the throttles for this little piece and remove it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iNRZUk][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49757071687_86af06120c_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2iNRZUk]AB throttle detent[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

File the surfaces indicated by the arrows so they are 45 degrees instead of 90.(The pic shows the final shape) Do this a little at a time. Keep slipping the piece back into position and temporarily holding it w/ a finger while you move the throttles forward. Before this is done the throttle levers hit this stop while being pushed forward and need to be lifted up to go further forward into AB mode. When you get the amount of plastic filed off correct you will feel the throttles hit the piece but just a little more push effort and it will move into AB w/o any need to lift them up. Then go into the 'instant action - free flight' and hit F2 so you can watch the jet outlets. When you go to AB they turn bright red/orange. I had to adjust my throttle curve a little so they turned color at the correct throttle position. Also somewhere in the sound settings there is a box you can check to get extra AB sound so do that.

11 hours ago, Vol4Ever said:

On the Settings/Special main tab - - afterburner detent setting is set to Always On.

On the Settings/Controls main tab, Throttle Quadrant dropdown - - there aren't any bindings on the finger lift options

You want the Special setting afterburner set to afterburner detent "ALWAYS OFF" or else you'll have to use the software finger lifts to be able to get in to A/B (regardless of physical detents).  Note that you might still need to flip the physical detent to remove it or physically lift the throttles to get over it to get to A/B (I can't remember which way it is installed by default).

The fingerlift binding is: Cycle Afterburner Detent - ON/OFF.

To further clarify your options. If you enable Afterburner Detent Always on in Special settings. You will then have to bind a key somewhere to allow you to go into afterburner. This will mean moving your throttle past the mil power setting without the proper key bind cycled or held (see below) the throttle will not move into afterburner.

There are two options here:

1- Cycle Afterburner Detent -On/Off - This will mean each press of that key will toggle the finger lifts. Press once. You can now always go into afterburner. Press again, you can never go into afterburner. Press again, You can now always go into afterburner again.

2- Throttle Finger Lift (Both) Up/DOWN. - With this option. You can Enter afterburner only when you are Currently Holding down the key. If you release the key, it will stay in afterburner until you move the throttle back below the Mil Power Stops then it wont go back into afterburner again unless you again HOLD the button down. 
(This is my preferred option) 

(The above two options require the special setting to be always on. And inversely, the afterburner always on setting requires you to bind one or the other of those key binds. These would be the desired option if you don't have physical detents or don't want to use them. )

-The next option you can do with the Warthog is to open up the little panel between the top of the throttles and flip the afterburner detent. This will add a mechanical click to your throttles.
In this situation you would likely opt to have the Afterburner detent special setting set to "always off". You then would need to adjust the throttle axis in your keybinds so that throttle position for the physical detent in your throttle matches the software throttle axis curve at full mil power. 

here is a good video on the software setting procedure. 

On 1/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, Vol4Ever said:

Similar problem to a post below, but mine is OPPOSITE behavior.  Other poster can't do anything without going to full afterburner.  My Thrustmaster WH throttle works fine on the increase/decrease, but burner won't light at all.  Pretty sure it has something to do with the detent, but I'm not 100% sure where to go to correct it.  Tips on which settings to poke around?  Thanks!

Go into Options, Special, for the Hornet. Set your Afterburner Detents to Always Off.

That way, the burners light up when you push the throttle forward far enough. Otherwise you'll have to bind a key or a button to "Cycle Afterburner Detent" to toggle the detents every time you want to use the burners.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!