NVSlimmer - NVIDIA driver slimming utility

Hi there everyone.

Having trimmed NVIDIA drivers for as long as I can remember, long ago I decided to make a utility to help make the modification and installation process more bearable.
Only lately I decided to make it more presentable, hopefully making it usable by the general public.

The app is pretty bare bones, and probably has bugs the size of rhinos, but I promise I'll work on it if it catches on and there's demand for improvements.

Hope you find it useful.
Any bug reports and/or suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: Updated to version 0.10

v0.11 (2020/01/07)
- Added support for FrameView SDK.

v0.10 (2020/08/20)
- Added support for new "Process and module monitoring driver" in 452.xx drivers.

v0.9 (2020/08/06)
- Implemented deletion of temporary folder.
- Changed DPI scaling mode in hopes of getting rid of high DPI layout issue.

v0.8 (2020/06/27)
- Fixed warning on 451.48 drivers.
- Upon being asked, finally got the nerve to add an oh-so-pretentious donations link. Sorry about that.
- Inverted order of changelog to have the latest changes the most readily accessible.

v0.7 (2019/06/16)
- Fixed error when repackaging for users with spaces in Windows user name
- Improved overall error handling

v0.6 (2019/04/29)
- Added support for new component in DCH drivers.
- Other minor tweaks.

v0.5 (2018/10/19)
- Fixed crash affecting users with spaces in Windows user name.

v0.4 (2018/09/30)
- Added option to apply pending modifications when performing explicit install (missed it the last time)
- Handled UnauthorizedAccessException when attempting to process developer drivers
- UI changes

v0.3 (2018/09/26)
- Added option to apply pending modifications when repackaging
- Better filename collision resolution when repackaging

v0.2 (2018/09/23)
- Added Repackage option
- Implemented dependency checks
- Added support for all modules in Windows 7 drivers
- Updated some module names
- UI changes

v0.1 (2018/09/20)
- Initial release

Download

3VbmKz9.jpg

Hi there everyone.

Having trimmed NVIDIA drivers for as long as I can remember, long ago I decided to make a utility to help make the modification and installation process more bearable.
Only lately I decided to make it more presentable, hopefully making it usable by the general public.

The app is pretty bare bones, and probably has bugs the size of rhinos, but I promise I'll work on it if it catches on and there's demand for improvements.

Hope you find it useful.
Any bug reports and/or suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: Updated to version 0.10
v0.11 (2020/01/07)- Added support for FrameView SDK.v0.10 (2020/08/20)- Added support for new "Process and module monitoring driver" in 452.xx drivers.v0.9 (2020/08/06)- Implemented deletion of temporary folder.- Changed DPI scaling mode in hopes of getting rid of high DPI layout issue.v0.8 (2020/06/27)- Fixed warning on 451.48 drivers.- Upon being asked, finally got the nerve to add an oh-so-pretentious donations link. Sorry about that.- Inverted order of changelog to have the latest changes the most readily accessible.v0.7 (2019/06/16)- Fixed error when repackaging for users with spaces in Windows user name- Improved overall error handlingv0.6 (2019/04/29)- Added support for new component in DCH drivers.- Other minor tweaks.v0.5 (2018/10/19)- Fixed crash affecting users with spaces in Windows user name.v0.4 (2018/09/30)- Added option to apply pending modifications when performing explicit install (missed it the last time)- Handled UnauthorizedAccessException when attempting to process developer drivers- UI changesv0.3 (2018/09/26)- Added option to apply pending modifications when repackaging- Better filename collision resolution when repackagingv0.2 (2018/09/23)- Added Repackage option- Implemented dependency checks- Added support for all modules in Windows 7 drivers- Updated some module names- UI changesv0.1 (2018/09/20)- Initial release

Download

3VbmKz9.jpg

I have used your utility for a while
I didn’t know it was done by a simmer....
Thanks

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

• 3 months later...

Yep this is great.
Its not immediately obvious what will happen and when, a quick tutorial:

When you run it a dialogue will open to select the driver.
This will unwrap in a temp folder, wait for it to finish.
Select what you want to add/remove and click apply.
You will be asked if you want to delete everything you dont want, click yes.
It will only then ask if you want to install the driver now, you can click no if you want to create the installer to use later.
You can view what is in the temp folder by clicking "Open folder".
Press "Repackage" to create a new ZFX packaged auto installer, it will prompt you where to save it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm super curious about this software...

everyhing that helps me keep my pc tidy and fast is welcome...

...on the other side it's one more software to download...

what are the pros and cons?

and if i hit the bullet, what options should i install for best performance in DCS VR (3080 - reverb g2)

AMD 5800 x3d Ekwb liquid cooled - 32 GB 2 x 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C14D-32GTZ - rtx 3080 Asus Ekwb liquid cooled - Asus Dark Hero X570 - M2 Nvme 1tb 980 pro - M2 Nvme 1tb 970 evo - some other HD

Reverb G2 VR headset  + Leap motion hand controller 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Modern Combat Edition’ Ultimate - Extended + Custom made Speed "bugfeedback" stiffening joystick with arduino and DCS Bios - Trhustmaster Wharthog throttle -MFG Crosswinf pedals -Simshaker controling a Jetseat and 2 bassshakers

Hi, not a gamer and a true novice re graphics hardware; just wanted Chrome to perform better than it does w/ my default Intel UHD Graphics 620 (true hardware acceleration and pushing loads to GPU instead of using up all of my 8G of RAM). Was shocked by the bloat and weight of "gaming driver" software for which I don't use most features.

So I came across your tool on MajorGeeks, it installed and ran without any problem at all, and it so freaking AWESOME. Configured Chrome and it blazes, everything is better. Associated Chrome to always run with NVIDIA in its Control Panel.

However, the NVIDIA container and control panel does not start up automatically upon boot, even after tweaking to start every possible NVIDIA service I could easily find on boot. And I can't get them to manually start, either (although the NVIDIA Display Container LS service is running in the background after I set it to through Task Manager, there is no way to access the GUI).

I installed it with the minimal options selected (to include Core Functionality: Core DIsplay Driver, Optimus support, HD Audio, Install Core, and PhysX) after scanning the link posted elsewhere here that goes briefly through the background processes used. My understanding is that "Optimus" is the feature that smart-switches between the Intel and NVIDIA adapters. I looked at the very talented programmer's list of dependencies in this thread, and I thought that I had the two for Optimus installed--that they were part of the "basic" features.

Am I missing something? I really miss the speed that this gave me on Chrome--in fact, with all the flags enabled that I enabled to take advantage of the NVIDIA card, it is pretty much freezing on me now. Speaks to how much power I shifted to the HW.

Some specs on my setup:

HW

Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51G-53F6)

8GB RAM

NVIDIA MX150 w/ 2GB (the good one, I double checked) and Intel 620 (default)

Intel Core i5-8250 1.6 Ghz

SW

Windows 10 Pro x64, 1803, OS 17134.407

NVIDIA driver 25.21.14.1694 (or 416.94? confused--former is what shows in Windows Devices, latter, is name of actual download) for x64, slimmed using 0.5

Set the "nvcplui.exe" and NVIDIA Display Container LS to run on boot (might need to have other svcs autostart?)

Thanks much--be easy on me, again, really green here.