Autopilot not working properly in "game flight mode"

Sérvalpilot

When trying to use autopilot with game flight mode, the plane randomly pitches up and down instead of holding altitude. The "route following" autopilot mode frequently results in crashing.

When I don't use game flight mode, the autopilot works flawlessly at the expense of having the plane stall upside-down all the time.

Edited by Sérvalpilot

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2021 at 7:01 AM, Sérvalpilot said:

When trying to use autopilot with game flight mode, the plane randomly pitches up and down instead of holding altitude. The "route following" autopilot mode frequently results in crashing.

When I don't use game flight mode, the autopilot works flawlessly at the expense of having the plane stall upside-down all the time.

What sort of speed are you flying at? The Su-27 has minimum and maximum speeds at which the aircraft will remain stable. The speeds change with altitude and to a lesser extent other environmental factors.

I'd recommend reading this thread:

It might also be worth reading this thread:

And finally this thread:

Please note though that my conclusions about RPM settings at various altitudes are now obsolete, following changes to the engine modelling.

Essentially autopilot "H" mode should not be engaged at anything under ~550Km/h IAS (note, IAS not TAS) because for some reason it's unstable. At very high altitudes your IAS can easily be below this value.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

At any speed, any altitude, and with any autopilot mode, the plane never keeps stable in game flight mode. Same for the Su-33.

I did some tests with "level flight control" mode at around 300, 500, 900, and 1100 Km/h (indicated air speed) and it behaved the same. 

Again, autopilot only seems to work with game flight mode disabled. 

Hmm that is strange. I can only imagine that must be a bug.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.