Rapid drift of Attitude Indicator

Machalot

On a recent multiplayer flight I observed a fast bank angle drift rate on my Attitude Indicator.  After a short cross country flight with very little maneuvering, it had drifted almost 5 deg toward a left bank indication.  It seems too fast to be realistic, but I have no data to back up this feeling.  Has anyone else seen this?

Track is attached.  I was able to watch it at 5x realtime and see the effect.  It is especially bad after I make the left turn inland toward the destination airport, and gets progressively worse as I descend for landing. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xulaC0nKITxZhTli7mjnIiM-SQ-jWERs/view?usp=sharing

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Yes, I have noticed that the F5 attitude indicator easily gets out of sync with the true horizon, after doing any significant banking or climb/dive maneuvers.  I flew the T38 in USAF pilot training, it did not have that problem.  So, I think it is a simulation bug that needs fixing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I had the same issue ... And with a bigger deviation too.

It seems to be a known thing, but I don't know if it's an issue or not ...

But you can use the "Fast Erect" button near the artifical horizont to reset it  ... note that you'll need to use the standby attitude indicator to level and then use the fast erect button.

Interesting thing about this I found is (I dont know if it plays trick on my mind or is real), If you startup but leave radar OFF, then the ADI will drift. If you startup and switch radar to STBY and then ON after take off, ADI and horizon on radar scope will drift. But strange thing for me is it does not happen if you start up and leave radar in STBY for the duration of the flight, ADI will not drift, it will stay aligned no matter how many crazy maneuvers you do.

4 hours ago, TOViper said:

Have you been able to fix it during the flight?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Golo said:

But strange thing for me is it does not happen if you start up and leave radar in STBY for the duration of the flight, ADI will not drift, it will stay aligned no matter how many crazy maneuvers you do.

I'll try that. Sounds like a collection of bugs. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

4 hours ago, diegoepoimaria01 said:

I had the same issue ... And with a bigger deviation too.

It seems to be a known thing, but I don't know if it's an issue or not ...

But you can use the "Fast Erect" button near the artifical horizont to reset it  ... note that you'll need to use the standby attitude indicator to level and then use the fast erect button.

I seem to recall having the standby indicator drift as well sometimes.

Early Cold War Servers

https://discord.gg/VGC7JxJWDS

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 10:22 PM, Machalot said:

Has ED acknowledged it? 

Not as far as I'm aware, no.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

The last message from ED was "can't replicate". If it indeed doesn't happen with radar in STBY, that could explain why @NineLine did not see it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 2 months later...

It may be related to the issue I reported here, example track attached in that thread 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro