6800XT weird behaviour

Hello you all,

i‘ve upgraded my gfx card from an RX580 8GB to a Nitro+ 6800XT.

Full specs as following: 

-x470 msi gaming Plus

-2700x @3,9GHZ

-32GB 3000MHR DDR4
-sapphire nitro+ 6800XT

As you can imagine the new card makes a huge Performance boost compared to the old one.

i have a very interesting behaviour regarding MSAA in dcs. I can set it to Off, 2x or either 4X MSAA.

it doesn‘t matter if i set MSAA off, 2x or either to 4x i am getting always the exact fps.

MSAA does work and the image looks just great on 4x, but i would prefer to lower to 2x to have more fps. 

In the Adrenalin Radeon Tools is everything off, so It should not affect DCS in any term.

Does anyone have an idea why I get always the same fps no matter how MSAA is set up?

Edited by Oberst Struppi

I think i should get more FPS when i turn MSAA off. I have around 80-110 fps in the air in a singe player mission with 4x MSAA. Multiplayer is server depending. On the supercarrier mostly around 50-60. If the deck is full with templates it drops to 40. Multiplayer in the Air about 70-90 fps.

It doesnt make sense having always the same FPS no matter what i set in MSAA. This usually does affect fps in every game?!

btw, what forgot mentioning. I am running DCS @2560x1440p.

Edited by Oberst Struppi

1 hour ago, reece146 said:

Do you think you should be getting more FPS with MSAA off? What kind of FPS numbers are we talking about?

It should (and a lot more shimmering).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

The reason it's not making much difference is because you're only running 2560x1440 on a card that can easily handle 4k or more. It's just not even trying hard, so these changes just don't matter much.

It's not ''odd'' or ''bad'', it's perfectly normal when you're basically overpowered. My brother has a 5700XT and runs 1080p, same situation, it just doesn't matter that much because he's overrated for what he's actually running.

It means your choke point is not on the GPU side, it has plenty of headroom to absorb the settings you're changing.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

3 hours ago, Oberst Struppi said:

Ok, then i am limited on the CPU side obviously. Mhhhm, would be interesting if its worth upgrading the 2700x. 

I think a CPU with a better single core performance could perform better. I am also thinking about about getting a widescreen 1440p monitor. 
My card can handle it.

The difference between CPUs performance wise is going to be minimal, you're not talking about going from something truly out of date. There's ALWAYS going to be a bottleneck somewhere, there will ALWAYS be one side of your pc that's a little faster than the other. It's not possible to ''perfectly balance'' it, nor is it necessary.

I would say you definitely have the option of increasing your resolution if desired, but it's going to start eating into your framerate, too, if you're not careful 😃

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Sounds like your CPU limited to me mate. I upgraded from an AMD 3600 to a 5600x. DCS will use up that clock speed, I noticed a difference from upgrading. I run a 2080ti at 4k, not as powerful as your 6800xt though but I was slightly cpu limited with the 3600 in an environment such as the Supercarrier fully loaded.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oberst Struppi said:

Ok, then i am limited on the CPU side obviously. Mhhhm, would be interesting if its worth upgrading the 2700x. 

I think a CPU with a better single core performance could perform better. I am also thinking about about getting a widescreen 1440p monitor. 
My card can handle it.

I upgraded from 2600X (same single core performance as 2700X) to 5600X. I saw a large upgrade in DCS in some scenarios: heavy SP missions, supercarrier deck, multiplayer. Basically before I was capped by my CPU at 40-60fps depending on scenarios, now I can reach 80fps+ in all these situations. In my case it was very interesting due to VR (80Hz is the target for optimal smoothness in the Rift S).

Your 2700X is not bad and can still work for a few more years, but DCS doesn't care so much about 8 cores, it cares about one. So upgrading to a newer CPU with higher clock and more efficient IPC could yield benefits, especially since your GFX card is clearly capable of much more than 1440p.

Here are my measurements before/after upgrading my CPU (everything else remained the same in my system) to give you an idea, posted in another topic.

On 1/10/2021 at 11:34 AM, Qiou87 said:

Here are my before/after measurements, with 2600X so a wider gap than 3600 or 3600X:

Scenario #1: low-level F/A-18 in Syria, take-off from Rene Mouawad in single player, fly south along the coastline, max 1000ft AGL.
2600X: mini 14ms, average 17ms, max 21ms
5600X: mini 9ms, average 11ms, max 12ms

Scenario #2: roll & take-off from Supercarrier in F/A-18 in Syria, multiplayer on 4YA server with ~20 active players.
2600X: mini 18ms, average 23ms, max 37ms
5600X: mini 12ms, average 14ms, max 19ms

To go from frametime to frames per second, just do 1/frametime. E.g. 11ms: 1/0,011 = 90 fps. Of course actual fps depends on the GPU, these numbers are only from the CPU measurement.

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Concur on the CPU upgrade. If your MB can handle it, a 5600x would be a much better pairing with that GPU. 

If you want to push your GPU to 100%, try playing around with your new card. Nvidia cards have lots of custom AA options like MFAA that can improve image quality. Also, Nvidia calls it Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) or something like that but it's just supersampling. When I play old games that aren't using the full capabilities of the GPU I crank up the resolution past 4K until the GPU hits 99% and stays a constant temp. Downsampling a frame rendered at a higher resolution gives really good image quality but is the most expensive anti-aliasing technique. I'm sure AMD has some kind of equivalent. 

I played a little with my GFX Card settings. In DCS i´am definetely CPU bound. I have to say that i have a very good performance overall. I run on most servers 80-100fps when airborne.

I noticed that a full deck template on the super carrier is a 100% CPU demanding. There´s is this instant mission "full carrier template". When i start on the deck i´am at 38fps. Do i look away from all the static objects the fps is rising up to 70.

In all the newer games i dont have any problems. So it seems an upgrade to a 5600x would be not a bad choice. Interesting fact is, that the 2700x and the 5600x does have the same clock speed of 3.7GHZ. Only the boost clock on the 5600x can go up to 4.7GHZ.

I´am going to check if my MSI X470 Gaming Plus Mobo is able to run the 5600x. As far as i know AMD covered the support for all x470 mobo´s.

I think i´am considering an update to a newer CPU. 

On 1/23/2021 at 5:35 PM, Oberst Struppi said:

In all the newer games i dont have any problems. So it seems an upgrade to a 5600x would be not a bad choice. Interesting fact is, that the 2700x and the 5600x does have the same clock speed of 3.7GHZ. Only the boost clock on the 5600x can go up to 4.7GHZ.

Frequency is only one part of the CPU performance, you cannot compare different architectures only based on frequency. Zen3 has a much higher Instructions Per Clock performance (IPC), meaning it gets more done at the same frequency than Zen+ (the architecture of your 2700X).

Going from 2600X to 5600X, I had a 50% improvement in CPU-bound scenarios: multiplayer, supercarrier, and some very heavy SP missions (some WWII "furball" with 50 aircraft for example). Given the fact that DCS is mostly bound by single-core performance, you would see a similar improvement.

Check your MSI available UEFI, but my X470 board (Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Ultra) accepted to 5600X without any problem after updating the UEFI/BIOS. I am very happy with that upgrade for DCS, now I can get a higher-performing GPU without being too limited by the CPU. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals