FW190A8 20mm-shell water splash too large

xvii-Dietrich

20210110212318_2.jpg

fw190a8_20mm_plume.jpg

server-20210110-212034.trk

The water splash for the FW 190 A-8 20mm shells is far too large.

To test it (DCS Open Beta), I first placed a known object on the sea, then fired _only_ the inner 20mm cannons, and for a single shot (so that's two rounds... one per wing).

I measured the ration of the water plume to the known object (a 25m Schnellboot) and then calculated the water plume size.

Vertically, the water plume is 18 metres high (INCORRECT).

Laterally, it is also about 15 metres in diameter (INCORRECT).

I have attached screenshots and a track file.

Edited by xvii-Dietrich
(for some reason the carefully written report was deleted on the first attempt... rewrite)

Looking at Pacific gun-cam vids of shipping strikes, 10 m is plausible, but 18? Mmmm... not so much in my opinion. There are some vids of modern 20+ mm guns fired at water targets during military exercises and they don't seem to produce splashes THAT high. 

In either case:

a) I agree the width and transparency (or rather lack thereof) are waaay over the top;

b) @Dietrich - these effects are core game features shared between all aircraft in DCS, so it's not a Fw-190 specific problem, is it?;

c) I'd hazard a guess ED won't bother with changing the old splashes when completely new ones are being worked on;

Personally, out of today's WWII sims, I consider the Il-2 CloD splashes and other hit-effects the best. I hope DCS catches up soon!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

It's similar, for the 5.56 and 7.62mm rounds having autocannon like tracers (which could probably do with an update in and of itself), making very large impacts.

Here, it wouldn't be so bad if the plume was more narrow, right now it looks like a small bomb (like a FAB-100 or equivalent) hit the water. 

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.