FrenchPack missions

dimitriov

Hi guys 🙂

So i decided to start to make a lil serie of missions using the Frenchpack. They would be multiplayer compatible. In this serie of missions, you'll have the ability to use a deep variety of unique features like

- Smoke defense systems against AI

- Tank shelters building on demand

- Repair vehicles via logistics

- Layer mines

- Ask for illumination flares

- Better FLIR

- Better UI

... And so on...

Screen-210119-230625.jpg

First one is the "Polygone", which is a complete training ground. You'll learn to man a Leclerc XXI tank in a complex training for shooting on the move (see video below), and many other gameplay particularities only available with this pack. 

Once this first training known and repeated, you'll be able to get into far more complex missions, in extremely unsafe environments. 

Mission link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B-JgIQ9HgFdd42qMRkAXi7qGvOukz7RY/view?usp=sharing

Simply get ingame, select a tactical commander slot and wait +- 20 seconds, you will get entirely guided by texts all along the mission. 

Part of the training can be seen demonstrated here

FrenchPack can be downloaded and installed here

Refer to manual for installation, as a combined arms user, you want to install both _CORE and _CA folders. 

Edited by dimitriov
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really appreciate what you do for the CA players! I wish I had the skills and time to make missions myself, I only have the scenarios... 

• Like 1

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

On 1/21/2021 at 10:10 AM, Madone said:

Really appreciate what you do for the CA players! I wish I had the skills and time to make missions myself, I only have the scenarios... 

Making singleplayer missions which you can play against the AI is easy and fun, I'm a PC dummy and do it all the time, so if I can do it anybody can..:)

You can create small missions in 20 minutes, I don't like big complicated missions anyway.

I haven't tried to make multiplayer missions yet, I might try sometime but if it seems too geeky and difficult i'll chicken out of trying..:)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

This mission is playable in multi player. I'm working on a serie of small missions now which would take place during the Dixmude operation campaign (the official gazelle campaign that I had made for its release). They will be playable up to 12 CA and 4 Sa342, planes being optionnal. 

Edited by dimitriov

Hi, unfortunately I don't work anymore for polychop, I gave them the keys of it and  fixing issues relative to the campaign or the gazelle itself should be their job... I got paid once for the campaign (and not a lot ^^), it's been 5 years, if they want it to be fixed it's their responsability I'm afraid... Because it would be countless hours to get it to work properly. 

Understand that I delivered a completely finished product and maintained it for free during one year, past a moment, I'm not the red cross ^^

Edited by dimitriov
  • Thanks 1

Fair enough. Besides, it is a good learning experience tweaking them myself to make them work. That being said, I don't speak French, so Google translate is one of my very good friends. 🙂 

Anyway, I'm working on a fairly simple mission featuring 1x Platoon of AMX-10RCRs and 2x Platoons of VBCI where you fight through some rather nasty terrain outside of Beirut to destroy some Insurgent strongpoints. Nothing challenging. 

I considered throwing in SA342s into the mission, but the AI keeps crashing them into the hills. Oh well! Would probably work decent for co-op, maybe with the SA342L due to the "soft" nature of most of the targets in question. 

Edited by Revenant

They do it irl a lot. 

First casualty in Mali was Damien Boiteux who was commander of a canon gazelle. He attacked infantry and got hit in the leg. IRL they now don't use canon gazelles, they prefer to send a HOT, and canon are retired. It's simply too dangerous for a very relative firepower. Though ofc in DCS I understand that HOT may look a bit oversized, it is too IRL if the ground is hard enough to deviate most of the energy and shrapnel. Juste like the hellfire actually, anti tank missiles have proved themselves to be very efficient against pacs. 

Edited by dimitriov

I had a Commander at one point who shot a 120mm SABOT round through an insurgent in Iraq. In this case, the coax was jammed and that was the only option left since he was about to launch an RPG at their M1A2. With that being said, it isn't recommended due to the limited number of rounds being carried, and how they can be much more effective against armored targets (or in this case, shooting them down an alleyway to allow the concussion to pull people behind cover into the center of the alley.) 

I won't say that using an ATGM against a single infantry Soldier isn't effective in the lethality department. If you get hit by a HOT-3, you are dead. I would argue though that you try to save such rounds for targets that meet a defined engagement criteria for heavier targets. Just like you wouldn't want to expend main gun rounds from a 120mm on single infantry targets. 

That's from a US perspective. I'm sure things are different in other parts of the world.

Edited by Revenant

33 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I won't say that using an ATGM against a single infantry Soldier isn't effective in the lethality department.

This

A HOT-3 is a HEAT warhead, not designed with a large blast radius. US aircraft that fire AGM-114 Hellfires at Insurgents aren't using the typical Anti-Tank variants anymore, they've since upgraded to thermobaric warheads. 

I wonder if its the same for the HOT-3. Either way, an Anti-Tank helicopter attacking insurgents seems like the wrong tool for the job. 

• Like 1

Well the lethality of HOT against infantry completely varies depending on the ground composition. A crew told us that if shooting at inf on a concrete road for example, the tungsten shatters simply killed or injured everyone in a +-30 m radius, while in sand, it was extremely limited. It's still a near 7kg tandem warhead, it's like getting a TOW exploding near you, you will hardly walk away from it.

But there is not any thermobaric variant to it, we don't invest anymore in the HOT since it's undergoing replacement with the MMP. 

For the "keeping the weaponry for heavier targets part", it's true in heavier war. But in Mali gazelles take off with grand maximum 2 HOT and they simply rarely have better than standard infantry to shoot them. They don't expect to meet a T55 and would it be the case, we would call in for n airstrike. African warfare by France ks extremely different from the one you americans or british get involved in. It's really "old school colonial war", with relatively few men and gear, with very high mobility ( in the first 2 months of mali war, we got 3000 men to cross 3000 km of african territory) . We don't get any heavy tanks for it and a lot of our vehicles are expressly made for them, like the Erc-90 for example and the gazelle actually is used in this philosophy. 

Our main problem is that the only real attack helo is the tiger but they rarely carry anything else than dumb rockets and their canon. In Libya, there even is a report of a Tiger destroying a pick up with a Mistral anti air missile... Because Tiger only got hellfire qualified in 2019... Why is this so ? Don't know, I would tend to say that just like every other european project, this one is expensive but not that efficient, but it would be my personnal opinion. 

Edited by dimitriov

Yep, ground composition has a big effect on rounds. The Rhodesians with their "K-Car" in their Fireforce doctrine faced a similar issue, with the gunner being trained to shoot at rocks, trees, etc to cause the most fragmentation and lethality. 

I've studied the South African Border War extensively, and I think they had a very similar approach as far as mobility. I jokingly call MG(R) Roland de Vries my "spirit animal," but he was certainly one hell of a maneuverist. The equipment is quite similar as well, such as having the Eland-90 which is a licensed version of the Panhard AML. They ended up using the same turret for the Ratel-90, which proved to be a much more effective T-55 killer than it would seem on paper. It was a conflict where they certainly used a small number of men compared to the enemy, and is interesting because it combines a hybrid threat, an active insurgency, and a conventional war all in one. 

For the purposes of the mission, there are a LOT of targets in place, and said targets are more suitable for engagement by the SA342L. The M would also give a much further standoff range. While in real life this is an advantage, in game it would necessitate a lot of trips back to Beirut-Rafic Hariri International to rearm, followed be having to add much heavier ADA than what makes sense in the scenario concept I have in mind. 

In designing any scenario for entertainment, the number one question I always have is "is it fun?" If the answer is no, then no one is going to play it. While shooting insurgents at 4.2 KM  while being safely out of range is realistic, it removes the fun factor. The idea I am going for is having an air and a ground element work together to accomplish the mission, with the air element quickly destroying key targets identified by an SF Team on ground to enable the ground element to destroy everything else. I've had a blast playtesting it so far, so I can't wait to release it in the next few days.