Cyclic/Collective controls?

No, not top-o-line 🙂

I will use standard buttons and switches available in electronic shops. For the POV's I use some designs I found at Thingiverse and rework them a little bit for my own needs. Things have to be relatively cheap cause I already investet a lot of money in the whole pit project. No used MASON buttons or transducers here 😄.

The whole project, my universal pit, should bring an immerson of the type of aircraft you are flying, but it is not meant to be an exact replica with top notch equipment. This would be far beyond my skills and also my budget. I'm quiet happy if those things work like they should. 😅

Edited by Viper1970
  • Like 1

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've seen a few posts about the number of inputs needed, and even saying one might. Need several Leo Bodnar boards.

Before going that route, look into keyboard matrices. It's a good way to get a lot of inputs on a small number of pins I plan on getting some PCBs made in China with surface mount diodes and simple soldering pads for the wiring.

The math is pretty encouraging, and I think I can get the whole TEDAC on one Arduino, let alone a LB board.

On 10/9/2021 at 12:41 AM, mikkebos said:

Would you guys plan to share your apache cyclic/collective models to print? Would love to print the models and make it work.

I already shared mine. Some guys have also already printed them respectively just doing the print. 😄

So it looks like the models are ok. I haven't printed them yet by myself, cause I want to finish all my other parts first and doing a long print session with all my parts after this.

If you want the files also, just PM me. But as said in my homepit thread, they are meant for my own pit and therefore a lot of things have to be adjusted if someone would like to use them in another way. I also don't have the time and desire to make my models compatible to other needs at the moment. I only want to make my own dream of the last 25-30 years come true.

I only made the HOTAS/universal cockpit thread to show that many things are possible even if you are not a 3D modeller or an electronic technican. If you have a dream and the aim to fulfill it, many things can be possible. Not perfect and not top notch, but good enough and mostly affordable.

• Like 2

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

I just found this topic.  If yall can design the mechanisms, I can design the electronics and write the firmware.  Have it all look like a joystick.  I have several 3d printers, a laser cutter, and a CNC mill.  I also have the equipment to fabricate custom circuit boards.  I usually use arduinos for simple projects, but when the I/O count starts getting really high, I can make custom circuit boards.  The most complicated sim rig I've ever built had 18 analog signals and 192 switches, buttons, and LEDs.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 10:14 PM, Wrench said:

I've seen a few posts about the number of inputs needed, and even saying one might. Need several Leo Bodnar boards.

Before going that route, look into keyboard matrices. It's a good way to get a lot of inputs on a small number of pins I plan on getting some PCBs made in China with surface mount diodes and simple soldering pads for the wiring.

The math is pretty encouraging, and I think I can get the whole TEDAC on one Arduino, let alone a LB board.

You can add GPIO extenders to Arduino to get additional I/O.  We designed a circuit board that one can just plug in a Pro-Micro and it will give you 64 digital I/O and 7 analog I/O, with a separate power supply for up to 64 bright LEDs.  We designed it specifically for sim rigs.  I would sell them if I knew there was a market.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2021 at 2:23 PM, mbenson said:

I just found this topic.  If yall can design the mechanisms, I can design the electronics and write the firmware.  Have it all look like a joystick.  I have several 3d printers, a laser cutter, and a CNC mill.  I also have the equipment to fabricate custom circuit boards.  I usually use arduinos for simple projects, but when the I/O count starts getting really high, I can make custom circuit boards.  The most complicated sim rig I've ever built had 18 analog signals and 192 switches, buttons, and LEDs.

hi... looking in youtube... i found this

maybe a model for Apaches can be done, and instructions even for us non electrical Engrs done... (Im a pure old, very old, fashioned Mech Eng... so i can learn a couple tricks)

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:30 AM, Bedouin said:

I am still hoping for VirPil to make a Apache Grip to their collective, i already got the Shark one, and considering the Hawk.. Now that we got the BlackHawk Mod.

On one hand, it should be a no brainer for Virpil to develop and sell an Apache grip, as a lot of people will be interested very soon.

On the other hand, I also think the rather large Apache grip would require Virpil to add some sort of counterweight to their current collective design. And on top of that, the grip complexity might make it twice as expensive as their standard grips (which again would hold back potential customers...)

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process, soon done with the collective, then the cyclic. I will use the curved extensions connector tho. Hopefully Virpil will sell it as spare part, will see what I need for PCBs first before I mail them.

The old Mongoose T50 grip I slaughtered doesn't have a analog stick input, so I will try the Alpha PCB which does. 

• 2 weeks later...