nVidia driver hotfix for SteamVR released

speed-of-heat

4 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Game doesn't render twice.  It doesn't render once from DCS and another from SteamVR.  It takes the PD and SS values (as resolution) and multiply into final resolution to send to GPU.  

that's  good to know because that would be a crazy perf hit otherwise ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

9 hours ago, YoYo said:

No any improvments for me (Reverb).

According fpsVR = the same FPS and same magnet peaks in some situation as it was before, I think its placebo effect only (because something new means better). :grin:

[Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (Without using any Hardware monitoring tool). [3152190]

It specifically mentions "Without using any hardware monitoring tool" because there's still issues when using one.  Try turning off any sort of hardware monitor (ie. FpsVR, afterburner, etc) then see if your experience feels smoother

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tuuvas said:

[Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (Without using any Hardware monitoring tool). [3152190]

It specifically mentions "Without using any hardware monitoring tool" because there's still issues when using one.  Try turning off any sort of hardware monitor (ie. FpsVR, afterburner, etc) then see if your experience feels smoother

yes you could do that but then you wouldn't be able to monitor the actual thing that enables you to be objective... and i did subjective pass... already when i first posted .. .no difference

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

3 minutes ago, Tuuvas said:

Yea, why would Nvidia specifically mentions monitoring tools if they have no impact.  And I see people running 2, 3 different monitoring tools.

context is for kings... this is the actual wording:

• [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (Without using any Hardware monitoring tool). [3152190]

i would have read that as you get stuttering and lagging without using a hardware monitoring tool ... go figure 

12 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

• [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (Without using any Hardware monitoring tool). [3152190]

i would have read that as you get stuttering and lagging without using a hardware monitoring tool ... go figure 

That is correct.  But it's also implying that stutter and lagging WITH using a monitoring tool is expected.

It's like "My car sputters even without using bad motor oil".  It's implying that the cause is something other than bad motor oil.  But it's also implying bad motor oil is typical cause of sputter.

20 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Yeah sorry about that, just reading it like that sounds like it's simply pointing out a problem exists.  Almost like a "no, duh" reaction right lol

As far as I know, Nvidia has addressed the stuttering issue when no monitoring tools are being used, and a future fix will be made when using monitoring tools.

Edited by Tuuvas

yeap, either way, i notice no difference, but as i said i never had the problem in the first place... if itworks for others ...awesome

6 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

That is correct.  But it's also implying that stutter and lagging WITH using a monitoring tool is expected.

It's like "My car sputters even without using bad motor oil".  It's implying that the cause is something other than bad motor oil.  But it's also implying bad motor oil is typical cause of sputter.

but what was written here is "My car sputters (without bad oil)"

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

yeap, either way, i notice no difference, but as i said i never had the problem in the first place... if itworks for others ...awesome

but what was written here is "My car sputters (without bad oil)"

Yea, so why mention (without bad oil) at all?  Why not (without bad transmisision fluid), or (without bad gasoline)?  If bad oil is not typical culprit?

no idea, its an odd construction with the brackets, maths is pretty clear about brackets the english language is more vague in application, if i had to guess it would be because many people are quoted as saying that the problem exists only with monitoring tools ...  

1 hour ago, Tuuvas said:

No, you havent right (you may not know the background of the problem), the issue of drivers before looks like you use motitoring tool (and see the stutter) but you haven't any monitoring software.

[Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (Without using any Hardware monitoring tool). 

Perhaps you missed this or dont know about this kind of issue. 

Here is a reason of this UPDATE:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/

Not solved yet. The NVidia driver 456 hasnt this issue, after this it's still present all the time, with this fix too.

EDIT 01/21/21 After Manuel from NVIDIA asked, I posted a brief update on my experience with the hotfix driver after 30 minutes of playing, as many others have already done in the pinned comment below. "although less, dropped frames are still there in games and visible, even with no fpsVR or any kind of other monitoring sw running. The dropped frames are especially visible during fast (head) movements, the image then jumps shortly. The problem is also particularly annoying in games where objects move quickly, e.g. Beatsaber. So, there is still a problem that is visible and has a disruptive effect. Otherwise, no problems with the new driver." Of course, the behavior only applies to my system, and others may have completely different experiences. And anyone else's info is just as important and valuable. However, after I linked the video yesterday, I wanted to put this info also here in the original post, because I know that the post here has been linked a few times by various site and is read often by users who encounter the problem for the first time.

DCS has a little different engine and doesnt use Single Pass VR mode Sync (like many VR games). This is especially visible in single pass games. So no, its placebo 🙂 anyway, you can already read the posts that did not give anything on the NVidia forum which is what I noticed in other simulators, not in DCS only.

This was the first fix from NVidia from 3 months to solve it but without the success. Wait for the next drivers.

btw. in DCS I never noticed this magneta spikes, here is ok (and was always ok with this) so it isnt good platform to test this improvment [3152190].

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

DCS has a little different engine and doesnt use Single Pass VR mode Sync (like many VR games). This is especially visible in single pass games. So no, its placebo :).

I mean, sure, if you want to believe it's a placebo then go for it.  I absolutely have smoother tracking within the VR headset with the new hotfix.  If it's a placebo effect... then I guess I'm happy regardless lol.

All I know is that my stuttering was so bad that I couldn't even use Oculus Mirror + image stabilization for recording gameplay because the recording was unwatchable.  With the hotfix, image stabilization works EXTREMELY well.  This observation is absolutely not a placebo, and is a result I'm incredibly happy with.

Edited by Tuuvas
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, YoYo said:

No, you havent right (you may not know the background of the problem), the issue of drivers before looks like you use motitoring tool (and see the stutter) but you haven't any monitoring software.

Perhaps you missed this or dont know about this kind of issue. 

Here is a reason of this UPDATE:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/

Not solved yet. The NVidia driver 456 hasnt this issue, after this it's still present all the time, with this fix too.

DCS has a little different engine and doesnt use Single Pass VR mode Sync (like many VR games). This is especially visible in single pass games. So no, its placebo 🙂 anyway, you can already read the posts that did not give anything on the NVidia forum which is what I noticed in other simulators, not in DCS only.

This was the first fix from NVidia from 3 months to solve it but without the success. Wait for the next drivers.

The thread you linked also says

But! From my tests I can confirm that any type of monitoring software makes the problem much worse. Be it MSI Afterburner (with monitoring switched on), software for fan control, or even RGB software. Active electron-based software such as NXTCam or Discord also seem to make the issue worse.

2 minutes ago, Tuuvas said:

I mean, sure, if you want to believe it's a placebo then go for it.  I absolutely have smoother tracking within the VR headset with the new hotfix.  If it's a placebo effect... then I guess I'm happy regardless lol.

All I know is that my stuttering was so bad that I couldn't even use Oculus Mirror + image stabilization for recording gameplay because the recording was unwatchable.  With the hotfix, image stabilization works EXTREMELY well.  This observation is absolutely not a placebo, and is a result I'm incredibly happy with.

Maybe something else helped, but definitely not the fix [3152190]. If it's ok, that's fine! :thumbup: 

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1 minute ago, Taz1004 said:

The thread you linked also says

I personally dont use any monitoring programs permanently in the background. It always slows down the system.

The problem described here [3152190] is largely related to other games, not DCS in my experience (no any magneta spikes):

E82AU4q.jpg

P3Dv5 for example has this issue, it affects motion reprojection:

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

10 minutes ago, YoYo said:

I personally dont use any monitoring programs permanently in the background. It always slows down the system.

The problem described here [3152190] is largely related to other games, not DCS in my experience (no any magneta spikes):

E82AU4q.jpg

P3Dv5 for example has this issue, it affects motion reprojection:

Monitoring apps are Windows process.  Not tied to specific games.

You say it slows down your system but doesn't effect DCS?

Well, I'm not gonna try to convince anyone.

Edited by Taz1004

1 hour ago, Taz1004 said:

You say it slows down your system but doesn't effect DCS?

We talk about external monitoring, here was example of MSI Afterburner, it slows down VR mode  - so from the tests it appears that it may have an impact.

Not my system, I dont use it as I wrote.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I use EVGA Precision X1 with my system and really do not see any adverse affects like stuttering.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Of course it depends, but in this thread (link to NVidia Forum) there are comparisons and references to it, it's possible too that this has no any bad effect on DCS.

I will not comment on this because I do not use any external software monitoring permanently but it follows from some posts that the combination of NVidia drivers and such monitoring may have an impact for VR mode in other games. For me DCS runs very smooth without any stutter (or with some of stutter on the ground only if are present too many WW2 objects with new DM).

This fix only serves what is in the link I provided (purple / magneta jumps, I never experienced this in DCS).

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

See I don’t use it to monitor, I do use it to overclock, but, even when I do, it doesn’t have any noticeable effect (the over clock works fine, I just don’t get stuttering, even if I configure it to enable monitoring), there must be some other factor or sequencing issue...

Edited by speed-of-heat

Monitoring apps take up resources, but they are designed to be lightweight.  You will be hitting the hardware limits long before a monitoring app impacts your game.  I only turn them on when I'm testing because they destroy immersion for me. 

Edited by glide
  • Like 1

No one's saying it causes stutter for everyone.  When someone says DCS crashes all the time, first thing ED asks is "Do you have any mods?".  That doesn't mean all mods cause crash for everyone.  It just means it's a common cause.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1