Heavy bombers...

El Chapo

I don't think they'd be a good fit for DCS. Leaving aside the fact they're usually classified (being a part of the nuclear triad), they have a very long range, far longer than anything we've got in DCS. I wouldn't mind a medium range tactical bomber, but something like B-52 would only have a single mission anyway, and realistically, it wouldn't be taking off from an airfield on any of the maps we have when conducting missions from them. For example, if there were B-52s operating in Caucasus, they would likely be based in Italy or Germany.

• Like 2

Agreed with Dragon.

Personally, I think these long range strategic bombers are kinda a poor fit for player modules; if you wanted to do a player bomber I'd stick to things like the Canberra B(I).6/B(I).8 and B-75B, Il-28 and the best out of all of them: the F-111F. 

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

3 hours ago, Bravelink03 said:

Or the Su-24,34 or Fitters

Meh, I see where you're going with this but the F-111F is much more of a dedicated bomber than the -24 (which while its a direct contemporary, the Su-24 is less of a dedicated bomber and more a multi-role attack aircraft and more, as for the other 2, they're more strike fighters than bombers.

Not saying I wouldn't want either of them, I'd love an Su-17M4 (or any -17) but they're less in keeping with the OPs request.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

A WW II bomber, may be. But post war bombers in DCS will probably not happen, latest interviews from ED seemed to say so as well if I recall correctly.

Now if we go lighter bombers/heavier attackers, like A-6, F-111, Su-24, Su-17, Buccaneer, I'm all on board!

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Not impossible, but unlikely, because of so many factors not panning out, you have things like, IIRC (there was an official list somewhere, or in the interviews):

• Potential customers, maximum, etc.
  • Documentation
  • Classification of key systems,
  • Manufacturer licensing, autorization
  • Usefulness of the module in DCS gameplay
  • Development requirements, costs, manpower resources

Understanding that early on, I was rather advocating for another type of a stop-gap solution, the key flight characteristics difference that heavy multi-engine bombers have, so let's look at just about ANY kind of wide-body, wide wing-span, multi-engine jet or prop out there that would fit in these criteria, it doesn't need to be a bomber in that case, just so we have one sort of an example of the kind of experience in comparison to what DCS usually is, and to have that comparison right here in the DCS umbrella, that's nother point, non-DCS stuff doesn't count ofcourse. This example can be used as a testbed to gauge popularity and how, I do know popularity is definitely not going to be comparable to other fighters and stuff, but I think this is natural and there's no way around it, if such a module struggles it would need to have a special deal where it could be subsidized by the overloaded success of other modules or by simply having a "break-even" rule that it pans out as long as the costs are covered and no loss was made, it doesn't have to produce pure profit.

I think the hottest thing around the community here has been the idea of AC-130 for a while AFAIK, at least the last time I checked more than half a year ago. I don't know in detail and perhaps others know more, but it kinda ticks all those requirements except the popularity, that's what the main thing the community can do is, to promote and ask others, to bring the topic up if talking to someone that was part of the C-130 programme if they would be in for such a module, get them to know about DCS, etc.

AC-130 is old enough that docs would IMO be easier to authorize, less strictly classified I would assume, it has the combat component, and all the support components that would go well with the "Dynamic Campaign" of transporting cargo/ammo/fuel around the area of influence, transporting building materials to construct bunkers and forward bases.

In the end having that different flying experience is still, or it should be, more of a side-thing, just as it is in reality, at least I would advocate for it like that, for the existing community to not be locked-shut to their favourites, and for the wide-body fans to not expect decisions affecting the whole DCS to be all about what benefits a wide-body type of experience, I wouldn't want to create these super-specialized niches within DCS that would compete for attention as I think that be detrimental to DCS as a whole in some fashion (that I happens to elude my mind right now what specifically could it be). Just to clear something out, I don't come with this sort of idea from a civilian wide-body transport mindset, I'm simply entertaining the technical feasibility of this and satisfying that experience for who would have liked it, but I don't really have any connection with those civilian communities. If it counts, I played Lock On and Apache Longbow way way back, even before I had internet connection at home or tried out any civilian sim.

Edited by Worrazen
reworded whole post
  • Like 1

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

On 1/21/2021 at 5:53 AM, WinterH said:

A WW II bomber, may be. But post war bombers in DCS will probably not happen, latest interviews from ED seemed to say so as well if I recall correctly.

Now if we go lighter bombers/heavier attackers, like A-6, F-111, Su-24, Su-17, Buccaneer, I'm all on board!

For WWll I would like to see a flyable A-20, B-25, PBJ or A-26. Anything bigger would be boring to fly, unless multi crewed, manning gunner positions against attacking fighters.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

The B-25 is probably the best bet for the biggest ED could reasonably go. PIlotable by one person, the 4 other stations are not required to make it airborne or functional and the bombadier requirement can be AI assisted fairly convincingly as a step in for unavailable humans. "Meet Boris the Bombadier". It's still a massively complex project and would put Heatblur's F-14 into the shade in terms of size and effort, but, it could be done and still fit the game. I'd love to see one on the Axis side.
As for current stuff, they already said no.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *