Honest AI question

Trying to get better for the purposes of fighting online. 
I've heard a lot about the single player AI performing maneuvers that don't make sense, or having infinite energy, and other things.
Is this still true? 

Also, it's hard to get better fighting the AI, because they always end up in a vertical two circle fight after two turns. It's so weird that such an awesome sim has such terrible AI. Is this being fixed?

Yeah, the AI is still very... "basic", and one of the biggest issues with SP. It's a known issue (and has been for many years).

It's called out specifically in ED's summary of work for 2021 and beyond, but things have a tendency to slip around here (albeit with the best of intentions), so take it with a grain of salt.

Currently, much of our AI engineering effort is focused on the AI aircraft behaviour, in harmony with the new damage modelling and in line with logical and understandable rules and practices. Additionally, the new ATC and radio communications will demand a significant amount of AI engineering. This work is ongoing and will probably never really be finished but we do hope to deliver substantial enhancements during the latter half of 2021.

• Like 2

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

To be honest, if you are training for the online community, I would actually just dive in to an online arena anyway.

The AI in SP, whilst it can be a ‘general’ introduction, does not act like a human, will not think like a human, nor will it make performance or employment errors like a human.

The AI uses a flight model that does to an extent, give let’s say an F-5, incredible vertical performance.
A human opponent, flying something with an representative flight model (of the real aircraft) will not be so superhuman.

You will cross swords with opponents who have really practiced with certain airframes - knowing the practical nuances - and are able to employ that airframe to his or her best advantage, as would be the case in the real world. And at the same time, you will come across those who haven’t really got to know their chosen airframe fully yet, and you may well best them. Again, mirroring the real world.

SP AI will give you hyped up cannon fodder, sometimes complete with superman cape.

Real opponents flying full fidelity airframes, will give you useable experience, and it is that that I recommend.

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:03 PM, garyscott said:

To be honest, if you are training for the online community, I would actually just dive in to an online arena anyway.

The AI in SP, whilst it can be a ‘general’ introduction, does not act like a human, will not think like a human, nor will it make performance or employment errors like a human.

The AI uses a flight model that does to an extent, give let’s say an F-5, incredible vertical performance.
A human opponent, flying something with an representative flight model (of the real aircraft) will not be so superhuman.

You will cross swords with opponents who have really practiced with certain airframes - knowing the practical nuances - and are able to employ that airframe to his or her best advantage, as would be the case in the real world. And at the same time, you will come across those who haven’t really got to know their chosen airframe fully yet, and you may well best them. Again, mirroring the real world.

SP AI will give you hyped up cannon fodder, sometimes complete with superman cape.

Real opponents flying full fidelity airframes, will give you useable experience, and it is that that I recommend.

To be honest, there are many gamers who prefer to play singleplayer and against the game's AI.

• Like 1

PC Setup: i7-8700K CPU @5 GHz | 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz | EVGA RTX 3080 GPU | LG 27GL83A-B 27" Ultragear QHD IPS 1ms 144Hz NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Space Combat Edition’ Premium Grip | TrackIR5 system | Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle.

Airframes: A10C | A10CII | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-5E | F-86F | JF-17 | M-2000C | AV-8B | MiG-15Bis | MiG-15Bis | Ka-50 Black Shark 2 helicopter | FC3. (All  purchased on STEAM)

Modules: Supercarrier | WW2 Assets Pack | Raven One | Serpent's Head 2 | The Ultimate Argument | The Georgian War | Aggressors BFM | M-2000C Red Flag | F-15C Red Flag | Aggressors ACM | The Enemy Within 3.0 | A-10C Red Flag | The Museum Relic Campaign. (All purchased on STEAM)

Maps: Persian Gulf | Nevada NTTR. (All purchased on STEAM)

7 hours ago, alphagamer4 said:

To be honest, there are many gamers who prefer to play singleplayer and against the game's AI.

And each to their own, that is perfectly acceptable. My answer was for the original question, detailing my thoughts, ie; trying to get better at the online fight.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Not all AI will use that vertical loop tactic, but the Su-27 loves it with those engines.  Never take the bait, because it can out climb you.  Extend out and make horizontal passes until the AI decides to come out of the loop or you get him. 

Throw a variety of enemies into your dogfights.  Give them short range missiles or only guns.  They will fight till they run out of fuel after about 1 hour of dogfighting.  That's a good workout.

Try 4 Blue v 5 Red and 4 Blue v 6 Red depending on the mix.  This will guarantee you some action but allow you to choose your fight.

Edited by glide

some pilots like to be able to do PvE engagements and in this case AI skill level is still an issue. however. i for one do not go after every issue i see and go with it. either mistake or godlike performance. if an AI AC or ground unit rakes me then i learn and do something different to overcome the mistake i made. DCS developers have enough trouble keeping the constant criticizers at bay with all the other outstanding progress that has been made. 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

3 hours ago, silverdevil said:

some pilots like to be able to do PvE engagements and in this case AI skill level is still an issue. however. i for one do not go after every issue i see and go with it. either mistake or godlike performance. if an AI AC or ground unit rakes me then i learn and do something different to overcome the mistake i made. DCS developers have enough trouble keeping the constant criticizers at bay with all the other outstanding progress that has been made. 

Your free DCS module from the game devs is in the mail LOL!

PC Setup: i7-8700K CPU @5 GHz | 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz | EVGA RTX 3080 GPU | LG 27GL83A-B 27" Ultragear QHD IPS 1ms 144Hz NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Space Combat Edition’ Premium Grip | TrackIR5 system | Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle.

Airframes: A10C | A10CII | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-5E | F-86F | JF-17 | M-2000C | AV-8B | MiG-15Bis | MiG-15Bis | Ka-50 Black Shark 2 helicopter | FC3. (All  purchased on STEAM)

Modules: Supercarrier | WW2 Assets Pack | Raven One | Serpent's Head 2 | The Ultimate Argument | The Georgian War | Aggressors BFM | M-2000C Red Flag | F-15C Red Flag | Aggressors ACM | The Enemy Within 3.0 | A-10C Red Flag | The Museum Relic Campaign. (All purchased on STEAM)

Just now, alphagamer4 said:

Your free DCS module from the game devs is in the mail LOL!

@alphagamer4 LOL. i have been in IT in one form or another since 1988 and i have heard a lot of grumbling so i understand.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

2 hours ago, silverdevil said:

@alphagamer4 LOL. i have been in IT in one form or another since 1988 and i have heard a lot of grumbling so i understand.

I hear you, bud. Corp IT are the unsung heroes. No one ever remembers they're around holding the company's tech infrastructure together with duct tape and shoestrings until something bad happens and all Hell breaks loose. It's only then, that the executive suite realizes that they shouldn't have been so cheap when they off-shored all the important IT roles to India....

• 3 weeks later...