Huey Doorgunner Project - the time has come for the mounted weapon USB controller build to commence

hannibal

1 hour ago, reddox said:

Thanks that would be awesome.

didnt forget you.

just busy.

trying to make audio isolators for the shakers so that someone else firing rockets or guns i the huey wont set off the the DIY doorgun shakers.. 

20210318_140159.jpg

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

33 minutes ago, hannibal said:

didnt forget you.

just busy.

trying to make audio isolators for the shakers so that someone else firing rockets or guns i the huey wont set off the the DIY doorgun shakers.. 

20210318_140159.jpg

Are you super seriously into door gunnery online?

Is it anything like this when youre in the game?

Love this, What gave you the idea to make it?

36 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

Are you super seriously into door gunnery online?

Is it anything like this when youre in the game?

Love this, What gave you the idea to make it?

i been wanting to do this for the past 10 years, especially after the release of VR.

also, my regular non flight sim friends can not fly, let alone to get into the complexity of both flight controls and DCS..

how ever shooting guns is a no brainer, fun, and with the recent DCS update, mulitplayer coop between the pilot and gunner..

i always had the idea.. but i was waiting for a program that would allow the functionality.

Arma 3 was the closest thing, but it has no VR support.

iL2.. forget about it, not even close.

I thanking the DCS devs for decoupling the player view from the gun, along with allowing the traverse axis be mappable to a joystick. (iL2 plane turret guns only controlled by mouse.. ONLY, how sad)

im trying to finish my project..i am at 97 percent. 

but i look forward to other people's DIY builds.. maybe someone will make a mock M60D... 

On 3/9/2021 at 4:03 AM, hannibal said:

thank you for you interest in my project everyone!

i hope someone else will build some kind of doorgun controller...

in mean time.. my m134d system is almost up. going to test shaker function later..

20210308_210942.jpg

Wow, you're not messing around! Looking very impressive :surprise:

But...

What's your wife using to play the piano, now that you've obviously confiscated her piano stool?

(probably something like this..)

tumblr_mxmcicGT0a1s3ohvyo1_1280.jpg

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 5:53 AM, Tanuki44 said:

Apply a filter ?

Personal, I replaced all the potentiometers by HALL sensors and with a x2 or x4 filter (with MMJOY) it is very stable.

thank you for introducing me to MMJoy2.

although i am not using arduino in this project, MMJoy is helping me greatly in my other project (custom controls for the yawVR motion chair)

MMJoy is stable.. for some reason, IDE programming of arduino is unstable, and drops out alot.. MMJOY is a champ when it is loaded on to arduino.

MANY MANY THANKS!

On 3/8/2021 at 8:48 AM, Tanuki44 said:

Whether you flash your arduino code or the MMJOY code, it's the same...

Your 'DoorGunner' will be recognized directly as a joystick in Windows / DCS.

Not more 3rd party apps.

THE BEST THING EVER.. MMJOY..

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 5:55 AM, hannibal said:

thank you for introducing me to MMJoy2.

although i am not using arduino in this project, MMJoy is helping me greatly in my other project (custom controls for the yawVR motion chair)

MMJoy is stable.. for some reason, IDE programming of arduino is unstable, and drops out alot.. MMJOY is a champ when it is loaded on to arduino.

MANY MANY THANKS!

THE BEST THING EVER.. MMJOY..

A question... 

What about installing a smartphone with accelerometers and using fre software like opentrack(I guess) over the m134 build. Could be that doable and the phone could send the positional info to dcs instead of pots/hall sensors and arduino? 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

3 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

I tried a smartphone like Head Tracker, it worked pretty well, If it's integration is possible it is to try...

But a little expensive  😉 

I'm looking for eBay smartphones with broken screens or something similar, about $20. The key is accelerometer and gyros are OK, I guess

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

13 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

A question... 

What about installing a smartphone with accelerometers and using fre software like opentrack(I guess) over the m134 build. Could be that doable and the phone could send the positional info to dcs instead of pots/hall sensors and arduino? 

what is your goal? have the phone control the player view or control the doorguns?

if your goal is to move the doorgun by way of moving your phone around, all i will say is the doorguns are controlled by axis. it could be a mouse or joystick.

if you can translate accelerometer telemtry into mouse movement or as a windows joystick, then the goal is possible

Edited by hannibal

9 minutes ago, hannibal said:

what is your goal? have the phone control the player view or control the doorguns?

if your goal is to move the doorgun by way of moving your phone around, all i will say is the doorguns are controlled by axis. it could be a mouse or joystick.

if you can translate accelerometer telemtry into mouse movement or as a windows joystick, then the goal is possible

I fly with VR so I guess player view is done by that.
My idea is the phone attached to a fake minigun structure + photo tripod head.

11 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

I fly with VR so I guess player view is done by that.
My idea is the phone attached to a fake minigun structure + photo tripod head.

as mention, at the end of the day, to control the doorgun, you need to have anything that ends up being a mouse or joystick so you can bind the controls to the doorgun.

went with pots, that was the easiest way, since it is connected to a joystick board, that windows recognizes as a joystick.

now if you are going for a phone, good luck with your search to translate accelerometer movement to arduino. i think its doable. but dont know since i dont have any experience with phone accelrometers.

Edited by hannibal

2 hours ago, hannibal said:

as mention, at the end of the day, to control the doorgun, you need to have anything that ends up being a mouse or joystick so you can bind the controls to the doorgun.

went with pots, that was the easiest way, since it is connected to a joystick board, that windows recognizes as a joystick.

now if you are going for a phone, good luck with your search to translate accelerometer movement to arduino. i think its doable. but dont know since i dont have any experience with phone accelrometers.

after all these messages and finally taking a look at Huey controls, I think I finally got you 😉 thank you!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

@hannibalI want to eventually try and make this. I have an idea for the buttons/switches I'd like on my GCU, but am surprised at how many you have on yours. I am wondering what they all are so that maybe I'll realize some nice quality of life switches before printing/wiring the GCU. So far I'm thinking of triggers, PTT's, Radio selector, maybe Countermeasure button if DCS allows gunners to deploy (I can't remember right now) Thanks for the inspiration!

Edited by Jolly_Chief
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 5:24 PM, Jolly_Chief said:

@hannibalI want to eventually try and make this. I have an idea for the buttons/switches I'd like on my GCU, but am surprised at how many you have on yours. I am wondering what they all are so that maybe I'll realize some nice quality of life switches before printing/wiring the GCU. So far I'm thinking of triggers, PTT's, Radio selector, maybe Countermeasure button if DCS allows gunners to deploy (I can't remember right now) Thanks for the inspiration!

im hoping to design a lightweight doorgun controller design, AND SHARE to everyone, but im waiting for the functionality to be there for the hind mi24 before i start creating. my build works perfect ONLY for the hueY UH1H

i also have buttons for camera fwd, back, up down, to orient the player view in VR..

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1