Tomcat optimum non-maneuvering airspeeds

Bremspropeller

Hi folks,

a lot is being talked about optimum speed for max rate and minimum radius (I'm not quite there yet, still trying to master the airplane in steady state flying before putting gs onto the jet and flying her in (heavy) buffet), but there seems to be little talk - unless I have missed it - about the normal, operational flying part. That is max economical speeds, minumun fuel consumption, best holding speeds, optimum climb and descent and so on.

Is there a source where I can get some info on the optimum airspeeds (well, AoA) and Mach for climbout, cruise, loiter, descent back to the boat and possibly holding?

I know it's also a function of weight and the loadout/ configuration, but there's gotta be some ballpark figure.

I realize it's propably in some performance-Annex to the NATOPS, but I only have the plain vanilla NATOPS of the F-14B which doesn't quite help there.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Economy based

climb 350KIAS/.75M whatever is lower

cruise 0.75M

Loiter .65 IIRC

Rate based

climb 450KIAS/.9M

Cruise 0.9M

For the economy speeds you need to understand you won't be getting much over 32,000ft under 0.75M, but that is where the wing is at it's most efficient.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Also, if numbers don't stick, watch and study your fuel flow as you change altitudes and airspeed.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

7 hours ago, r4y30n said:

And the simplest, least scientific method is the AoA tape: 5 units for climb, 8.5 units for cruise.

IIRC the econ speeds give those units with wings forward and the rate speeds give those units with wings swept.  It's been a while Since I've tested that though.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2021 at 6:54 PM, Spurts said:

Economy based

climb 350KIAS/.75M whatever is lower

cruise 0.75M

Loiter .65 IIRC

Rate based

climb 450KIAS/.9M

Cruise 0.9M

For the economy speeds you need to understand you won't be getting much over 32,000ft under 0.75M, but that is where the wing is at it's most efficient.

Can you provide the AoA figure for loiter?, by the way 8.5 for cruise looks high in my opinion according to the feeling of flying it.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have my manual available and I haven't flown a max loiter in a long time, but if 8.5 is the cruise I would expect 10 for loiter.  I know when I am dogfighting I use 10 AoA as my "regain energy in a turn" AoA.  The Tomcat is extremely fuel efficient at lower speeds.

In NATOPs Manual section 2.33.2 - "The climb reference marker is set at 5.0 units, the cruise marker at 8.5 units, and the stall warning marker at 29 units. These reference markers are preset to the optimum angle-of-attack values and cannot be changed by the pilot."

So absolutely right, my question is cruise with wing swept or auto? and about loiter I still searching.

Great!  Glad to know I guessed right.  As to cruise, always assume wings are in Auto.  Best RANGE cruise will seem low and slow compared to other fighters because it is the speed and altitude where the max speed for forward sweep is also effectively minimum drag.