Aim 54 Schemes

Grater Tovakia

So I know this is not a priority of the team at the moment (or should I say not on your radar... ok ill see myself out) but I just wanted to ask if HB plans to add both the high viz aim 54 paint to all models of the 54. 

From everyone I have heard and what I have seen the Aim 54 Cs were painted the standard white up until late 1989, just wanted to know if we will be getting that amazing white skin on the Cs as well as the As.

keep up the great work guys!

• Like 3

If i m not wrong, then a munition can only have one livery in the game
I might be mistaken here, but I've hear that somewhere before

That said, you can change the color of the missiles while it's on your plane as a part of your livery
I think

It's definitely something worth looking into
Try getting in touch with the people on the livery discord, they might help you further
https://discord.gg/kVWcKmN

Sorry if i was more confusing than helpful!

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

6 hours ago, BonerCat said:

If i m not wrong, then a munition can only have one livery in the game
I might be mistaken here, but I've hear that somewhere before

That said, you can change the color of the missiles while it's on your plane as a part of your livery
I think

It's definitely something worth looking into
Try getting in touch with the people on the livery discord, they might help you further
https://discord.gg/kVWcKmN

Sorry if i was more confusing than helpful!

yes I use more than a few skins that have both the Aim 54A and the C in white, I was just hoping there was some way to implement it in game. We will have to wait for word from HB

Once the missile leaves the plane, it reverts to the ED core weapon texture. To do it ED would need to add the weapons as separate models/entries with separate skins for each, and then you have to decide early vs later to have white vs gray.

That's 6 different missiles/schemes to handle, and then how do you decide which is used? The skin description file doesn't affect the actual weapon when it leaves the jet, so it has to be a hard coded function, so now you need more loadouts and entries to have early and late Phoenix.

Then what about Sparrows? Sidewinders? How about the Navy versions of bombs with different colored ablative coatings? It's not a small thing.

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

A slippery slope indeed, tho one that might be worth exploring at one point

• Like 1

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

How is this exactly a problem? The 54A Mk47, Mk60 and C should all be seperate munitions with their own textures. Same way we have different Mavs and rockets. This really shouldn't be too hard. Should have been done properly on day one so it doesnt drag on for almost two years, especially now that we'll probably have the early A and IRIAF cat carrying grey 54C's...

Edited by Skysurfer

12 minutes ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Because priorities, and things ED controls, plus how do you control which scheme will be used? By year of the mission? What mechanic is in place to make that happen?

It's actually really straight forward, you have two options.

1) The easiest option is to simply include the early 54A texture with the early A's and IRIAF A's. (Each livery that is). This is how 3rd party livery creators do it. But then again, once you actually fire the missile it will transform into the generic, grey C model.

2) The best solution is to simply split the munitions up properly and make each have their own proper textures. I don't think this is really too much too ask for.

1 hour ago, Skysurfer said:

It's actually really straight forward, you have two options.

1) The easiest option is to simply include the early 54A texture with the early A's and IRIAF A's. (Each livery that is). This is how 3rd party livery creators do it. But then again, once you actually fire the missile it will transform into the generic, grey C model.

2) The best solution is to simply split the munitions up properly and make each have their own proper textures. I don't think this is really too much too ask for.

I think it might get overcrowded in the loadout menu with all those phoenix liveries

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

1 hour ago, BreaKKer said:

I think it might get overcrowded in the loadout menu with all those phoenix liveries

Are you even listening? You would have the same choices as right now, namely the 54A Mk47, 54A Mk60 and 54C Mk74, with the A's simply having white base textures and respective 54A stencils. As far as I know there are no grey A's and white C's unless someone can prove otherwise.

Example: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4bza5Y

isra-tan-aim-54ac-artstation-studio-003.

Edited by Skysurfer
  • Like 2

Alternatively have the option to select from a pool of textures at the loadout menu for all ordnance on the aircraft, while not really needed for the phoenix weapons such as bombs could benefit greatly from this. For example have a pool that picked from random textures for the airforce, and for the navy with era filters. That way you could have loadouts that had the navy bombs with the thermal coatings in gray or green on the same aircraft and different combination of guidance kits https://nara.getarchive.net/media/paveway-iii-gbu-24a-laser-guided-bombs-fill-the-aft-mess-decks-of-the-us-navys-0a2d97

That said it would still work for AIM-54s just select the USN Early pool for weapons

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 8:17 PM, Skysurfer said:

Are you even listening? You would have the same choices as right now, namely the 54A Mk47, 54A Mk60 and 54C Mk74, with the A's simply having white base textures and respective 54A stencils. As far as I know there are no grey A's and white C's unless someone can prove otherwise.

Example: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4bza5Y

isra-tan-aim-54ac-artstation-studio-003.

Aim 54Cs were painted white until 1989, I would love an option for 1980s Cs as well. Ofc the A scheme should come first but the Cs should get the option too. I just think it would be easy to just remodel the As to be white and have a duplicate version of C, one in white the other in 90s low viz

• Like 1

We'd like that ourselves, at least I would, haha. We'll see how and if possible. The idea to have it for the early A's only is good, but I think @Cobra847 had already something in mind, it has been a while that we spoke about it.

• Like 3

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 3 months later...

so, Just wanted to revive this after a picture was posted in Discord with a clearly white AIM-54C. Ive been saying it for a while but its nice to see some proof that AIM-54Cs through 89 (and even a little afterwards) were white. Any updates on if HB plan to attempt different AIM-54 schemes? 

3FC6pPL

Screenshot_233.png