Will this machine be enought for HP Rerverb

Hi everibody,

This is Mike from Spain, who is trying to get into DCS world as I always loved Airplanes world. RC flight hobbiest since 30 years ago...:)

Well, the point is that I am considering to get the HP reverb for DCS sim but do not know if my system will handle it with good or quite good resoluition and FPS.

I own an MSI Intel Core i7 9700 16MB Ram with a Geforce RTX 2060 with 14294Mb of memory and 6144MB for dedicated video in base to specifications from Geforce .

Here goes my doubt:

Will it be powerfull enought for getting good VR graphics at good resolution with HP Reverb?

That said, I woluld apprecite your opinions...

Thanks in advance

Extra330SC

It should be enough unless you want to run the game at 90FPS in the most demanding maps.

That said, I had to ship my G2 back because it was faulty, I want anotyher one but apparently none is available in the UK just yet.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

7 hours ago, Extra330SC said:

Will it be powerfull enought for getting good VR graphics at good resolution with HP Reverb?

Short answer: no. You might be able to get decent framerates at half native resolution and DCS settings at minimum. But for your PC you're better off with an older headset. That, or buy a new PC that's powerful enough to get proper use of that headset.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Hello Extra330,

To enjoy the HP reverb, whatever version, in most of DCS uscase ( big mission, multiplayer etc.. )

You should get :

- more RAM ( 24 or 32gb with good Freq and low Cash Latency as possible ( good RAM ! ))

- more VRAM ( 1080ti or RTX series > 8go )

- CPU Overclock near 4,5 Ghz ( carefuly !  )

And be prepared about 1 or 2 days of settings the whole stack ( WMR, Steam Vr , DCS settings etc.. )

This is my own summerize about all thread about performances ( i planned to get the G2 too... )

Hope this can help you...

Edited by fab.13

8 Go VRAM  is not enough for the DCS current version ( for many reasons )

Everybody hope it will be better in futur, you can find many thread about VRAM usage

This is my point of view and my own experience ( i own a 1080ti and VRAM usage is > 8Go sometime )

It will work most of the time with 8go, yes.
But you'll have to play with more compromises about settings with this constraint.

Be aware of that part in the future 😉

Edit: RTX 2060 is only 6go  of VRAM ( i believed ii was 8 ! ) , this is not enough for High resolution need as with HP Reverb.

So my first answer is trully valid in my point of view.

My advice would be : buying a used 1080ti is a good quality/performances/price approach to be happy with DCS in VR ( see this thread :

)

Edited by fab.13

1 hour ago, Extra330SC said:

Are you referring to HP reveb 1, 2 or both for my system?

Both, since they have the exact same resolution.

For your current system, I'd go with a first-gen headet, such as the Oculus CV1, the original Vive, or Samsung Oddessey. But those headset have many downsides that are alleviated with the current generation: screendoor effect, much worse colours, ...

Many people are underestimating how demanding VR really is. Even nVidia said that VR is 7x as demanding as running a game in pancake mode (on a monitor).

8GB of VRAM is enough for Caucasus, NTTR and SoH but it isn't for later maps such as Syria and The Channel. If you want to have Terrain Textures on HIGH (in VR with a modern headset) you need at the very least 12GB of VRAM or you'll have severe stuttering at low level, especially over cities.

Right before I got my current setup, I had a system that was better than yours (older CPU but double the RAM and a much better graphics card) and I tried running the Reverb G2 on it, and it wasn't a good experience.

There are many other threads about this topic already, you can find more information there as well.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

Thanks a lot to both of you....I really appreciate it...

I may have to wait and get RTX3070 (has good value for money) or RTX3080 as well as getting more RAM...

I will give you feedback if I decide; meanwhile, I will continue with my Hp 27" screen...

Thanks folks!!!

Extra330SC

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 9:25 PM, Extra330SC said:

Thanks a lot to both of you....I really appreciate it...

I may have to wait and get RTX3070 (has good value for money) or RTX3080 as well as getting more RAM...

I will give you feedback if I decide; meanwhile, I will continue with my Hp 27" screen...

Thanks folks!!!

Extra330SC

Those GPU's do not have enough VRAM, as said above.

You should wait for the higher VRAM Nvidia cards or pick an AMD card. 

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

4 hours ago, BitMaster said:

or pick an AMD card

The problem with that is of course availability. Unless you absolutely definitely want to buy nVidia (or are constrained by supply), a customer who wants the best value for money should probably go for the RX 6800 (non-XT). It blows the 3070 out of the water in everything you throw at it, and has double the VRAM.

In my country for example, AMD cards don't seem to exist, unless you get very lucky.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely you can! I am using a very similar system - 2060, although AMD Ryzen 7 CPU, and it runs beautifully with the G2. I had the rift s before and the difference was huge with the upgrade in terms of clarity and resolution. I run it typically at around 70% resolution with little trouble, even at low level. There is a lot you can do in your settings, especially with the Nvidia graphics settings and through the steam settings. With a little patience and a bit of fine tuning you will certainly be able to get a good experience through this setup. It is smooth and a wonderful experience. Make sure you keep your metashaders cache clear before start and play a bit with the graphics settings but it is very doable. You will be a bit limited on some of the more detailed maps (Syria and Channel) with lots of activity and multiplayer, but if you are single player you can adjust. With that being said I have flown plenty in Syria and it works fine with steady fps.

I have actually ordered a 3080 back in october and still waiting, as I do a few other things too and knew i would want to crank it up sooner or later and prices were unlikely to ever come down. 

There have been many negative reviews of the G2 as well as positive ones. Im sure some people did get early versions with some faults, but I have had no problems with mine and love it. I would add though, it is not always entirely obvious about how to tune all the settings to get the best experience out of it, so dont be put off by the first attempts, stick woth it and slowly and methodically adjust and fine tune settings until it works for you. What works for one, doesnt always work for another. For me basically turning off everything in the Nvidia control panel made a big difference, setting resolution to 70%, and then experiment with settings through the steam vr app. 

Your setup should be good to go. Then later when time and finances allow you can consider upgrades to the GPU, but I would not say this is absolutely essential to get going. Just learn the limitations. You will love the G2 when you get it all working for you!