Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Some qusetions about the cockpit switchs animations

rocaf2003

Hello,everyone,I bought SU27, F15C and MIG29. I observed that many switches of their cockpit models have animations through modelviewer, but I rarely see them in flight. For example, when I press RAlt+home and Rctrl+home to start su27  When the engine is turned on, the switch that starts the engine in the cockpit does not move, but when I press shift+L to turn on the wing lights, the corresponding switch does move. I want to know what’s going on?Thanks a lot!

I believe the Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3) aircraft are all based on the foundation of the first Flaming Cliffs and/or Lock on Modern Air Combat (LoMAC). As such, they have been around for a long time, and have always been low fidelity modules. Considering that low fidelity modules are less complex, the need to make all of the switches animate would seem to be less important. Granted, I do believe that all functions that you do control should be animated, the reason for this being the contrary are unknown to me. I can only speculate that either: it is a low priority or, possibly the new Modern Air Combat (MAC) will include some updates that might be free for people who own FC3 and thus doing an update now would be a waste of money.

Modules

Combined Arms, Super Carrier, A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, F-14, ,F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, P-51, Su-25, Su-27, MiG-21, MiG-29, Ajs-37, UH-1H, Ka-50, Sa-342

Terrains

Nevada Test and Training Range, The Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, Syria

No clickable switches and dials in the old FC3 cockpits.

If you want to click on things inside the cockpit and see it moving while doing so, you'll have to go for the high fidelity aircraft (F/A-18C, F-16C, etc....)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

9 hours ago, ak12546 said:

I believe the Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3) aircraft are all based on the foundation of the first Flaming Cliffs and/or Lock on Modern Air Combat (LoMAC). As such, they have been around for a long time, and have always been low fidelity modules. Considering that low fidelity modules are less complex, the need to make all of the switches animate would seem to be less important. Granted, I do believe that all functions that you do control should be animated, the reason for this being the contrary are unknown to me. I can only speculate that either: it is a low priority or, possibly the new Modern Air Combat (MAC) will include some updates that might be free for people who own FC3 and thus doing an update now would be a waste of money.

Hi,ak12456!I don't expect the cockpit to be clickable, but I hope that when I start the engine, the corresponding switches in the cockpit will respond-they don't currently.  But switches like winglight and brakes can react when I press the corresponding key position. If there are only a few switches that can respond, what is the meaning of animation for so many switches in the cockpit?  We can't see them at all!

9 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

No clickable switches and dials in the old FC3 cockpits.

If you want to click on things inside the cockpit and see it moving while doing so, you'll have to go for the high fidelity aircraft (F/A-18C, F-16C, etc....)

Hi,Lange_666!I only hope the engine start switch can respond the keyboard command just like the brake,winglights...etc,Because if this is not the case, what is the point of ED's animation of these switches? We can't see them at all...

Edited by rocaf2003

I understand your point concerning animating switches for the list of usable key-binds and agree, they should be animated. However, because they are not currently animated could mean: Animating them would be more work than it is worth or, improvements might already be in the works due to ED's work on Modern Air Combat. These points are merely speculation, I do not know why they are not completely animated. It would not make sense to copy-paste the current assets for FC3 without some kind of improvement, considering the modules age. To sum up, I agree with you, I just don't think that it is a high priority development wise

Edited by ak12546
Redundant Info

Modules

Combined Arms, Super Carrier, A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, F-14, ,F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, P-51, Su-25, Su-27, MiG-21, MiG-29, Ajs-37, UH-1H, Ka-50, Sa-342

Terrains

Well, like I said, FC3 has a long lineage back into the nineties. I don't work at ED and do not know the reason. Because they have been steadily improving their product for decades those could have been a part of some planned improvements, or scrapped features. If you were to search the entire simulation you would likely find many examples of unused animations, textures, models, effects, etc. Its the nature of game design and is present likely in every game ever made.

Modules

Terrains

If you use modelviewer more, you will notice there's even more old, unused stuff in there, down to whole unit models (I'm looking at you, P-51B...). As mentioned above, they're leftovers from unfinished work.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

If you use modelviewer more, you will notice there's even more old, unused stuff in there, down to whole unit models (I'm looking at you, P-51B...). As mentioned above, they're leftovers from unfinished work.

Really sad about this....It is a unfinished cockpit...We must overwrite the lua files to finish it