Request: Generic, multiplayer-suitable paintschemes

xvii-Dietrich

So, it seems the F4U is getting closer (it has it's own subforum now!). Great news. Definitely looking forward to it! However, I have a suggestion.

I would like to please make a request to the developers when putting together the official paintschemes ("skins") for the upcoming F4U Corsair. Many of the skins for other aircraft are often hard-baked, famous cases, often representing aces and with their victories, markings and signature art indelibly fixed.

While this is very cool for single-player missions, these are not so good for multiplayer.

For example ...    😕

all_gabreski.jpg

Here, not only do you not want everyone looking like the lead ace, but also there is the very practical problem of identifying who-is-who.

As a result, could I suggest that you consider the possibility of some "common" skins. These are the absolute-standard painschemes, without special markings hard-coded. And, instead, they could have their numbers configured in the mission editor.

f4u_markings.jpg

This allows the mission builder the ability to put in hundreds of distinct aircraft, and reliably let the players distinguish among them.

Ideally such a common skin would be available for each of the major users for the F4U Corsair (USN, USMC, RNFAA, RNZAF, et al.).

I don't know exactly what those paintschemes would be (I am no F4U history expert... perhaps someone else could comment). However I'm just putting this idea forward for use server admins, and in reflection on the experiences we've had with the FW 190 A8 and P-47D.

Thanks for your consideration. I am very much looking for to this module!

• Like 2

A list of generic skins desired to appear in game would be nice. I could forward that to Rudel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

For the UK skins (Fleet Air Arm), please make sure the correct markings are used.

ED have not got either the Mk.IX nor DH98 roundels correct for the RAF (see, e.g. https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/259214-mosquito-skins/?do=findComment&comment=4544257 ) Perhaps this is something that @DD_Fenrir or @Rockape could advise on?

Edited by xvii-Dietrich

If there is similar info on FAA roundels and other markings, I will gladly pass it to the team. 

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 5:30 PM, Hiromachi said:

If there is similar info on FAA roundels and other markings, I will gladly pass it to the team. 

Hi... oops missed this post for some reason..

In general the FAA and RAF guidelines are one and the same, as they were Air Ministry orders/Instructions to standardize colours and markings and even camo-schemes  across all services.

Hope this helps.

Sig_002.jpg

“In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set – then at least I'll own something that has always worked.”

- Commander in Chief Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring -

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The F4U-1D Corsairs used by the USN, USMC, and RNZAF were only painted in two basic patterns.

1) The USN/USMC started using the tri-color scheme in February of 1943, so the first F4U-1Ds would have been delivered in this scheme.

- Non-Spectral Sea Blue (ANA 607)

- Intermediate Blue (ANA 608)

- Insignia White (ANA 601)

On 28 June 1943 an ALNAV directed an Insignia Red border around the national insignia.

On 29 June 1943, Army-Navy Aeronautical Specification AN-1-9a directed the same red border on all Army and Navy/Marine aircraft by 1 September 1943.

This new national insignia was very short lived!  Even before the directed completion date, the red border was rescinded.

On 31 July 1943, Commander 3rd Fleet directed that the red border be removed from all aircraft in the South Pacific.

On 14 August 1943, Army-Navy Aeronautical Specification AN-1-9b directed that the red border be replaced by an Insignia Blue (ANA 605) border on all US aircraft.

RNZAF Corsairs were delivered in the same paint schemes as USN/USMC Corsairs.  I'm not sure if the RNZAF national markings used the same Insignia Blue as the US.  

2)  Starting in Oct 1944, USN/USMC fighters were painted Gloss Sea Blue (ANA 623) overall, except a strip in front of the windscreen along the top of the fuselage and cowling, which was still Non-Spectral Sea Blue (ANA 607) to reduce glare for the pilot.

There are LOTS of models, toys, and even real aircraft at airshows and on film/tv that are not accurate colors.  The most common error is not using the correct Sea Blue.  I have seen many cases of brighter blues being used.  Some are almost Royal Blue.  The correct Sea Blue is pretty dark and has a hint of green in the right light.

Overall Sea Blue scheme

https://www.history.navy.mil/content/history/museums/nnam/explore/collections/aircraft/f/fg-1d-corsair.html

• Like 2

Happy flying!

ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING | CORE I7 6700K 4.2GHZ | 32GB DDR4 2400MHZ | GEFORCE GTX980Ti 6GB | SAMSUNG 950 Pro M.2 512 GB + MICRON M600 1TB SSD + WD 3TB HD | WIN 10 64BIT