Mosquito skins!

YoYo

What's so wrong, because the other planeskins offtopic?🤔

Then sry for this mistake!🙄

Edited by Jandar

:pilotfly:

Intel i5-9600K 6x6 @3.7Ghz - 64GB DDR4 - M.2 SSD 1TB - SSD 2TB - RX 7900 XTX - Pico Neo 3 Link- WIN10 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tried to put together a reference chart for WWII RAF (Allied) Aircraft Colours using digital colour codes (RGB, #HEX & CMYK) referenced from British and Federal Standard Colour names and codes for the era.
Source references: 
British Aviation Colours of World War Two - Arms and Armour Press.
British Standards.
Federal Standards 595B.
Air Ministry Orders - 1939/45.
MAP Standard Aircraft Colours 1939/45.

RAF_Digital_Colours.pdf

• Like 2

Sig_002.jpg

“In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set – then at least I'll own something that has always worked.”

- Commander in Chief Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring -

From a purely parochial standpoint 75Sqn RNZAF would be lovely to see, and simple as they were allover silver with black spinners, anti-glare and codes (Air Force Museum of New Zealand photo):

OhG880-51 33pc.jpg

Edited by Handbag
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Handbag said:

From a purely parochial standpoint 75Sqn RNZAF would be lovely to see, and simple as they were allover silver with black spinners, anti-glare and codes (Air Force Museum of New Zealand photo):

OhG880-51 33pc.jpg

Take a wooden plane and paint it metal... I see what they did there 😉

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I'd like to see an option for the "TseTse" (pronounced "Tet-see", after a rather nasty little African fly that gives humans African trypanosomiasis, also known as "sleeping sickness").

The TseTse Mosquito was armed with either a Molins or Vickers 57mm (6 pounder) semiautomatic field artillery piece firing a solid steel projectile at high velocity.

I think the RAF fielded about 60 of them in the anti shipping/anti U Boat, role.

Their pilots loved them.

CSFa1i1WIAADoIg.jpg

Edited by BoNidle
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, Krupi said:

Can't imagine what it must have felt like for the poor chap strapped into the rear fuselage for the entire flight! 

Niels Bohr passed out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niels_Bohr#Manhattan_Project

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• 4 months later...

Did ED open skin contest for Mosquito ?  

On 2/10/2021 at 2:01 AM, BoNidle said:

I'd like to see an option for the "TseTse" (pronounced "Tet-see", after a rather nasty little African fly that gives humans African trypanosomiasis, also known as "sleeping sickness").

The TseTse Mosquito was armed with a Molins 57mm (6 pounder) semiautomatic filed artillery piece firing a solid steel projectile at high velocity.

I think the RAF fielded about 60 of them in the anti shipping/anti U Boat, role.

Their pilots loved them.

CSFa1i1WIAADoIg.jpg

57mm cannon, you could knock everything on the field with this 🙂

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

I hope they included a factory new, bare polished metal skin.

tick...tick...tick...tick...tick... tick...tick...

No such thing during war time, they were painted on the assembly line. 

large_000000.jpg

After the war they were delivered with a silver finish. 

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

3 hours ago, Krupi said:

No such thing during war time, they were painted on the assembly line. 

large_000000.jpg

After the war they were delivered with a silver finish. 

Not to mention they weren't made of metal, eh? :happy:

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

Not to mention they weren't made of metal, eh? :happy:

47 minutes ago, Harry.R said:

Fishing trip without a bite 🤣

Perhaps someone can do a highly polished wooden scheme instead? 🤪

I assumed you were talking about the silver dope. 

In order to get a decent aerodynamic surface all the wooden surfaces were covered in a silver dope. 

After the war they stopped painting over this leaving the silver dope as the finish. 

dGjppTeJEFKiMkdvNLDUEUwAF7RcuNH2XEZFuaUC

This is from a refurbishment prior to painting. 

r-OUxvmnpJ5ws3PLK7GDlbe1W4hQbzznCNj144EF

Post war scheme example... 

Happy.... 

Edited by Krupi
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

57 minutes ago, Krupi said:

I assumed you were talking about the silver dope. 

In order to get a decent aerodynamic surface all the wooden surfaces were covered in a silver dope. 

After the war they stopped painting over this leaving the silver dope as the finish. 

dGjppTeJEFKiMkdvNLDUEUwAF7RcuNH2XEZFuaUC

This is from a refurbishment prior to painting. 

r-OUxvmnpJ5ws3PLK7GDlbe1W4hQbzznCNj144EF

Post war scheme example... 

Happy.... 

Ya see, I tried to be a smartass and you went and learned me something. 

I suppose I should say thank you.... :hmm:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 1:52 PM, Beirut said:

I hope they included a factory new, bare polished metal skin.

tick...tick...tick...tick...tick... tick...tick...

with silver paint its possible 😉

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Completely OT…

… but does anyone know what the silver stuff was…???

When I was a kid (1970s), I used to help my shipwright father in rebuilding some of our wooden boats. As a navy shipwright he knew of this silver coloured wood treatment that the navy used (sometimes floated in on the tide… sometimes available in navy surplus…)

Colloquially called “silverene” and was the best wood treatment / preserver available anywhere or to anyone….!!!

Edited by rkk01

From what I have read it is Silver Dope.

Clear Dope with Aluminium Powder mixed in to help stop degradation of the fabric covering from UV Rays.... 

https://rafm.tours/hawker-hart

P.S. Yes that is a Hippo, hit read more and see page 2.

Edited by Krupi
  • Thanks 1

Project IX Cockpit

I would love to see some historic 'Operation Jericho' skins created in the near future,here's three for starters including probably the most iconic Pickard's F for Freddie.

All of these Mosquito skin references came from some of my books,so please excuse the crude area where I have had to block out areas of unwanted text.

The bottom two aircraft are from the same Squadron but IMHO V-SB offers the most correct colour reference for any skinners interested,note the sky NOT white squadron codes.

I will add to this section as and when I find other Operation Jericho skin references.

3AmHVTR.jpg

c2FjQ1L.jpg

9asUR3E.jpg

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home