30 years ago - Operation Desert Storm

VTJS17_Fire

Ok, two days late but was aware of it on Saturday but with kids ... 😑😅

... on January 16 1991, after months operating Desert Shield, began Operation Desert Storm. I was interessted in this conflict since my youth, don't know why. There are several good books about the topic, a lot of videos on YouTube. I thought, I post it on the 30th "anniversary" (no to celebrate IMO but let's call it so).

If you have any good to add (most interessted in books), feel free. I just updated my amazon wishlist, as well. 😄

Ok, let's start with the books. I read them all, but for the mass of books I read, I don't remember on every book/rating/review.

• Vipers in the Storm - Diary of a Gulf War Fighter Pilot (9/10)
  • Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War (8/10)
  • Strike Eagle: Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War (9/10)
  • Shild and Sword: The United States Navy and the Persian Gulf War (IIRC, it was boring to read, many abbreviations, hard to read)
  • Storm over Iraq: Air Power and the Gulf War (very interessting)
  • The Air Campaing: Planning for Combat (also very interessting)
  • Magnum! The Wild Weasels in Desert Storm: The Elimination of Iraq's Air Defence (10/10)
  • Combat Aircraft Special: Gulf War 25th Anniversary Special (9/10)

There are lot other books about different aircrafts with some small stories inside about the 2nd Gulf War, but these books are related strict to these conflict.

Good overview of Day 1 of operation Desert Storm:

And always good to know the other side, respectivly some facts about the Iraqi attack on Kuwait.

And of course, some of the best known HUD videotapes of this war out there:

• Like 2

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And here, a interview with the top MiG-Killer of the last 30 years:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Firstly, bear in mind I enjoy reading pilots books and stories from cockpit rather than a condesed presentation with some data sheet.
Regarding books, I would add:
"Every man a tiger" by Tom Clancy and Gen Glosson, who planned the air campaign
"Ironclaw": I think it was published at the same time than Vipers in the Storm, it got very good reviews, I haven´t read it yet
"Angel of attack": the war from the point of view of an A-6 pilot flying missions from USS Ranger
"Tornado down" is the experience of a British Tornado crew who got shot down by a SAM.
"Hogs in the sand": very recently released, I´m loving it, pilot´s view using A-10 based on England. At some point it connects with "Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War".

For ground operations, you have "Bravo two zero", a British SAS commando in a risky mission. There is even a BBC TV film and followup books from other members of the group.
https://youtu.be/aS_6Yz_eHhw

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Strange that it was 30 years ago. I remember watching footage of news reports from my classroom on Misawa AFB, Japan.

My father was in the Air Force - in intelligence, not a pilot. His job was pretty secretive, and he often went on TDY to unknown (to us children) locations often. He was killed in an accident a few years ago, and on his grave stone in the veterans cemetery, it states Operation Desert Storm under his name. I never knew that he was involved until I saw that.

• Like 2

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:53 PM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

"Every man a tiger" by Tom Clancy and Gen Glosson, who planned the air campaign
"Angel of attack": the war from the point of view of an A-6 pilot flying missions from USS Ranger

Do you have ISBN numbers of these two? Can't find it on Amazon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 hours ago, VTJG17_Fire said:

Do you have ISBN numbers of these two? Can't find it on Amazon.

Try google instead. A google search for "Every man a tiger" gave me this as a first hit: https://www.amazon.de/Every-Man-Tiger-Revised-Commander/dp/0425207366

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg