Update - Checking interest on DCS: IADS (Integrated Air Defense Network) - Part 2

Outstanding! This is desperately needed. Real Russian SAM systems, and SAM operators, are the finest in the world and far more threatening than most players of DCS have come to appreciate. Truly threatening SAM systems with more realistic behavior and capabilities will make DCS a superior simulation, and will be needed for any future Dynamic Campaign anyway.

This is exciting news. For what it's worth, I send my thanks to the team and especially to everyone who pushed this idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a follow up to their initial post found here, they wanted to update you on where they are at right now. Hello everyone!   We have been closely monitoring the poll and all your feedback

Fancy clouds are great, but EW simulation is the next real step to improving the sim and would distinguish it well above other flight sim competitors.     

I play DCS exclusively in VR now. Please make sure any operator stations and interfaces for modules like this function in VR.

I do hope that at least the AI component will be available (if not controllable) in the core game. Whether I'll buy the full IADS module depends on what it actually does, but the EW itself, most notably aircraft jammers, shouldn't be paywalled as to avoid saddling module developers with having to account for whether someone has the module or not. 

Remember the KISS principle. All module-side functionality should be in the module. A pile of interdependent features with unclear responsibility is not the way to go.

• Like 2

Like many people on this thread, my take is:

• A fully implemented IADS would be an enormous step forward for DCS in both SP and MP
  • I have no issue at all with giving ED and partners my money for good content
  • Implementing something as foundational as IADS as an optional extra feels really wrong to me, in the same way that having AI or ATC or weather as optional extras would feel very weird and wrong

I 100% understand and support the need for revenue, but I also feel that the sandbox's core features should be part of the core. 

• Like 7

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

On 1/18/2021 at 9:34 AM, flankerjun said:

SEAD will be more difficult,i think i will be shooted down

通过我的 V1955A 上的 Tapatalk发言

I guess we'll need to learn to do SEAD/DEAD like they do in the real world, down low, using terrain masking, hunter-killer teams, and we really need the HTS for the F-16C.

• Like 1

Hardware: Asus PRIME H310-PLUS MB, i7-8700 @ 4.3GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVidia RTX 2070 Super 8GB DDR6, Intel 512GB M.2 SSD, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 10 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-5E, F-14B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, WWII Assets Pack

Hi All.

This sounds like it would be an interesting addition to the SIM, presumabably this would also need working IFF systems on the aircraft to reduce blue on blue incidents.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Chilliblast, ASUS P8-Z77-V Pro, I7 3770K@3-5GHz, 16GB Corsair PC-3 12800 DDR3 @1600MHz, MSi GTX 1080 8GB, Creative SBZ, Logitech LT Z906 5.1, ASUS 24"Monitor 1080 60Hz,120GB SSD, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, Corsair CX 750W PSu, Win 10 Home Prem 64bit, TM Warthog, TM T Flight Pedals. Track IR, Occulus Rift S, Black Shark SA, DCS A-10C SA, All DCS Current Aircraft Modules, DCS 2.5 Stable and Beta.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:50 AM, QuiGon said:

I'm just a bit worried about the performance impact of all those IADS computations.

It will be the end of MP for sure. Mark my words. 

ED and 3rdy not care anymore about performance impact, synchronisation all that stuff in MP, etc... And at the end - everything is EA (excuse). So, end user if want to stay (play) must have money for additional hardware or even with new hardware cry becasue of bad performance. We slowlly will need mining rig farms to play DCS.

Edited by Falcon_S
  • Like 2

If you are a dedicated pilot, a team player ... join us !!!

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB

14thVFS Samurais Discord: https://discord.gg/uc9c7Vz | Teamspeak: 14vfs.teamspeak3.com | Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH!

Sounds great. It will not divide the playerbase, since everyone will be able to join a mission and even set up basic IADS networks themselves. And module owners get access to additional tools and functionalities. Definitely interested in this.

And we get improved EW simulation. Everyone wins.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

1197644828_Screen_200911_044202-Copy.png.74d8c09ee9060cffd7408a75ab2c13ef.png

Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700K, 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum

F/A-18C, AV-8B, JF-17, A-10C (C II), M-2000C, F-16C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3

This sounds awesome, and I would totally buy it. 

One big question though:

On 1/17/2021 at 11:17 PM, NineLine said:
  • Mission Editor enhanced functions:
    • Radar coverage computation and display
    • Radar placement recommendation (depending on the type)
    • Definition and prioritization of defended objects
    • Anticipated air attack directions
    • No-fire sectors/areas

How would it work if a mission builder who owns the module creates a mission with these features and a player who does not own the module plays it?

On 1/22/2021 at 8:31 AM, Bunny Clark said:

This sounds awesome, and I would totally buy it. 

One big question though:

How would it work if a mission builder who owns the module creates a mission with these features and a player who does not own the module plays it?

As these are all mission editor functions, I would imagine editing and creating them would be locked to the player, but the IADS would still respond as normal to non-owners, just they won't be able to edit the parameters themselves.

EDIT: Nope, it seems that creating and editing the IADS will be a core improvement, but some enhanced functionality is going to be locked.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

1 hour ago, hotrod525 said:

I'd buy it just for the Intelligence sensors ! 😄

Yeah about those, are we going to get actual ELINT assets for them? Rivet Joint or equivalent?

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Very keen for all of this!!

i7 10700k @4.8GHz | Aurora GTX 3080 | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Pro 1Tb x 3 | Corsair 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

HP Reverb G2 | Vkb Gunfighter II MCG Pro Stick | Virpil T-50CM Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Custom built collective | 150 button custom cockpit with 3 x Cougar MFDs

I would buy that day one. Looking at the feature set, I'd like to suggest the ability to set the engagement parameters based on the type of target. For instance, I might want to have different floor and ceiling, or even no-engagement zones, for airbreathing aircrafts and ballistic targets.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

For a while now, I've been studying ways to implement credible EW interference (jamming) simulation, not relying on the (non-existent) EW DCS platforms. My idea was to create special triggers and conditions to allow a "jamming" simulation to aerial and ground stations, attempting to emulate a proper EW platform to effectively create a radar/radio blocking in a certain area. Although you can create some conditions, like turning off radar capabilities using trigger (not the same as jamming, but close enough), it's hard to make those triggers realistic with human players.

Though I know EW is only a part of this project, the rest is also very interesting, giving us the capability to operate air defences in a more "hands on" approach, rather than dropping a few SAMs here and there. I would love to see the integration of an AWACS station too.

So, regarding this project, not only would I be on board, I would also volunteer to help if there's need of volunteers to test this IADS project.

Esquadra 701 - DCS World Portugal

Join our discord for more information.

"Da Occidental Praya Lvsitana"

I am still missing any info on if and how it will incorporate interceptors. SAMs are only part of an IADS and until now AI GCI is laughable at best, even while having modules of aircraft which heavily rely on ground control. If this is only to create a more realistic SAM target for the F-16/F-18, I have no interest in it at all.

• Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, Jonne said:

I am still missing any info on if and how it will incorporate interceptors. SAMs are only part of an IADS and until now AI GCI is laughable at best, even while having modules of aircraft which heavily rely on ground control. If this is only to create a more realistic SAM target for the F-16/F-18, I have no interest in it at all.

Exactly, MiG-19P, MiG-21bis, MiG-23MLA, MiG-29A - all would benefit greatly from GCI API, but i think it's more of an ED to make some, even rudimentary, GCI API, not for 3rd party.

API made by ED would be a lot more uniform to be used by different interceptors.

But this 3rd party project also may include something like that.

• Like 2

I really hope it does include something, but as nothing has been mentioned, I highly doubt it.

But I just cannot see the MiG-23 happening without GCI link incorporated. So something must be in the making, by whomever that is.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some years ago, there was a excellent website about Serbian SAM and Counter-SEAD tactics here:

http://peters-ada.de/yogo1999.htm

Unfortunately, the site is gone. Maybe someone saved it, it was most in German.

Here is a PDF from the website: https://pingpdf.com/pdf-jogoslawien-99-peters-ada.html

Some of the most interessting things, I read there were about Radar reflectors and where they placed them to lure HARMs. Here a cutout of the text, I found so far:

"the radio measuring sight of the MIG 21 was set to the transmission frequencies of the SA3
(9 GHz). At a distance of a few 100 to 1000 m. After
The shear adjustment was optimized after initial failures.
14 ARMs were shot at this dummy within 30 days.
Corner reflectors were set up in the vicinity of the fire department
(300 m) So 8 HARM were started unsuccessfully on the RBS P15. Ever
Fire unit had 2 active settings and 2 groups
Corner reflectors are set up. Probably even were
Microwaves set up as decoy targets. "

• Like 1

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some years ago, there was a excellent website about Serbian SAM and Counter-SEAD tactics here:
http://peters-ada.de/yogo1999.htm

Unfortunately, the site is gone. Maybe someone saved it, it was most in German.
Here is a PDF from the website: https://pingpdf.com/pdf-jogoslawien-99-peters-ada.html

Some of the most interessting things, I read there were about Radar reflectors and where they placed them to lure HARMs. Here a cutout of the text, I found so far:
"the radio measuring sight of the MIG 21 was set to the transmission frequencies of the SA3(9 GHz). At a distance of a few 100 to 1000 m. AfterThe shear adjustment was optimized after initial failures.14 ARMs were shot at this dummy within 30 days.Corner reflectors were set up in the vicinity of the fire department(300 m) So 8 HARM were started unsuccessfully on the RBS P15. EverFire unit had 2 active settings and 2 groupsCorner reflectors are set up. Probably even wereMicrowaves set up as decoy targets. "

Here's the internet archive snapshot

https://web.archive.org/web/20160331164033/http://peters-ada.de/yogo1999.htm

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD