Voice Attack constantly crashing

streakeagle

I don't know what has changed to cause this problem. But sometime in the past month or so, Voice Attack/VAICOM Pro started crashing very frequently. In the past, it was normal to crash every now and then. Sometimes, some sort of magical stable point would be reached and I wouldn't have any crashes at all. But right now, it is normal for Voice Attack to stop running not long after takeoff and maybe stop again sometime during the same flight.

Between DCS World, Windows, nVidia, SRS, SimShaker, Voice Attack, VAICOM Pro, etc., there are always updates. The big change for me was getting a Reverb G2, which added Windows Mixed Reality and SteamVR to the mix in place of Oculus. So, I have no idea what has caused this to become such a frequent problem right now, but it sure is annoying as I have come to depend of being able to talk to the AI without using any menus.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From the Windows Events Log (Applications):

Faulting application name: VoiceAttack.exe, version: 1.8.7.9, time stamp: 0x5fe8c05f
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.662, time stamp: 0x5f641e44
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000e6ac3
Faulting process id: 0x2534
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6ecf735026cac
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d85e32b0-e8bb-482c-9f71-59e97fe24e3b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Same here.  Sometimes it is working, sometimes it is not.  Also, when it is working, I would have to say the command twice before it works.  Very strange...flight mate also has issues.  However, all my daisy-chained profiles work perfectly.  VA list shows all commands recognized.

1 hour ago, Weegie said:

Assuming Voice Attack is in C drive it's usually in C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Apps\VAICOMPRO\VAICOMPRO.exe

I guess I misunderstood what Max was saying.  I know the .exe will start Vaicom...but thought he was referring to restarting "automatically" Vaicom if it shuts down during flight.  Thanks for your response.

Edited by Drac

@Drac AFAIK that's the app that will restart Voice Attack if it crashes.

I normally just start Voice Attack as it's fairly stable on my setup and don't use the Vaicom executable. Vaicom starts as part of Voice Attack because it's a plug in component.

Bottom line you don't need Vaicom.exe to run Vaicom with Voice Attack, Vaicom will run fine if you just start Voice Attack

If however you use the VAICOMPRO.exe it will auto start Voice Attack and then also act as a watch dog. If VA shuts down unexpectadly the VAICOMPRO.exe should auto restart Voice Attack again.

Are you saying you use VAICOM.exe and it isn't restarting Voice Attack when it crashes?

I've added the app to Skatezilla's launcher, but sometimes the tray app crashes on start for meg. Logging off/reboot usually usually solves it for me. I'm positive it's my computer though. I've been lazy and haven't installed Win10 from scratch. It's been upgraded through Win8, Win8.1 Downgraded from Enterprise to Pro, part of a non existing domain etc.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Weegie said:

@Drac AFAIK that's the app that will restart Voice Attack if it crashes.

I normally just start Voice Attack as it's fairly stable on my setup and don't use the Vaicom executable. Vaicom starts as part of Voice Attack because it's a plug in component.

Bottom line you don't need Vaicom.exe to run Vaicom with Voice Attack, Vaicom will run fine if you just start Voice Attack

If however you use the VAICOMPRO.exe it will auto start Voice Attack and then also act as a watch dog. If VA shuts down unexpectadly the VAICOMPRO.exe should auto restart Voice Attack again.

Are you saying you use VAICOM.exe and it isn't restarting Voice Attack when it crashes?

I do the same, just start VoiceAttack.  I though there was an unique App out there to restart VoiceAttack if it shuts down while in the pit.

I do the same, just start VoiceAttack.  I though there was an unique App out there to restart VoiceAttack if it shuts down while in the pit.
There is - it is the Vaicom app

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

15 minutes ago, hornblower793 said:

There is - it is the Vaicom app

Just to make sure I understand the process.  During flight and VoiceAttack shuts down for some reason, I can do an Alt Tab and run the Vaicompro.exe and then Alt Tab again and continue with my flight. 🙂

Just to make sure I understand the process.  During flight and VoiceAttack shuts down for some reason, I can do an Alt Tab and run the Vaicompro.exe and then Alt Tab again and continue with my flight. 
No - rather than starting VoiceAttack directly start Vaicompro.exe and it will start VA for you. It then sits in your tooltray and restarts VA if it closes - depending on your Windows UAC settings you might need to Alt Tab to click yes on the privileges box.

When you have finished you will then need to right click on the Vaicompro icon and Exit it before you close down VA, otherwise VA will just keep reloading

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

1 minute ago, hornblower793 said:

No - rather than starting VoiceAttack directly start Vaicompro.exe and it will start VA for you. It then sits in your tooltray and restarts VA if it closes - depending on your Windows UAC settings you might need to Alt Tab to click yes on the privileges box.

When you have finished you will then need to right click on the Vaicompro icon and Exit it before you close down VA, otherwise VA will just keep reloading

Got it...Thanks

I'm having the same crash issues as the OP.

With Vaicom, when it launches Voice Attack - I get a windows popup 'do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer', so when in flight, the flight gets interrupted.

From what I can tell the .exe's don't have the 'run as administrator' compatibility option ticked, just wondering what others are doing to get around this?

(I'd prefer not to open up my computer to allow changes without prompting, but is there a way to start Voice Attack without having this prompt itself)?

Sounds like Windows is interfering again, probably user account settings no idea what you can do if you don't want to run it as Administrator.

Just in case you do the usual way is to right click and select properties on th pop up select the compatibility tab and then change settings for all users. That opens another box and in there is the option to run it as administrator

Sounds like Windows is interfering again, probably user account settings no idea what you can do if you don't want to run it as Administrator.

Just in case you do the usual way is to right click and select properties on th pop up select the compatibility tab and then change settings for all users. That opens another box and in there is the option to run it as administrator
True, but you will still get the UAC window asking you if you want to allow VA to make changes to your computer.

As far as I know, the only way round this all the time and use the Vaicompro app is to turn UAC off. I run VA without enhanced privilege (my account is an administrator account on my own PC) but the UAC box still comes up if Vaicompro has to restart VA.

One option would be to turn UAC off while using VA / DCS and then turn it back on once finished

• Thanks 1

With this method you can set up Voice Attack to run as a scheduled task as administrator, then create a shortcut to that task, and then you just launch the short cut. Result, VA/Viacom runs as administrator and no UAC pop up.

Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums (sevenforums.com) works for 8 and 10 as well

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

With this method you can set up Voice Attack to run as a scheduled task as administrator, then create a shortcut to that task, and then you just launch the short cut. Result, VA/Viacom runs as administrator and no UAC pop up.

Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums (sevenforums.com) works for 8 and 10 as well
This is true, but the Vaicompro app will still cause the UAC to appear if VA crashes

9 minutes ago, hornblower793 said:

This is true, but the Vaicompro app will still cause the UAC to appear if VA crashes

I assumed the problem was specifically that the UAC causes the headset displays to go black if you launch it as administrator, then you have to remove the headset to click on the UAC on your desktop, thus breaking the immersion. (At least that was my experience with the G2/WMR)

So by setting up an administrator task with a shortcut, you can launch (or re-launch) VA anytime in VR from a virtual desktop and there will be no immersion break because no UAC.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is of any help, but I think I found a reason for my Voice Attack Crashing so constantly (at least I hope so).

In the Settings-General-Joystick Option I still had a joystick in there that was no longer plugged into my system. Last night I clicked on the 'Unassign' button to remove it and I was able to play DCS for hours without a single voice attack crash.

Hopefully this was the issue, and hopefully if it was this will be of help to others.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:54 PM, Dangerzone said:

Not sure if this is of any help, but I think I found a reason for my Voice Attack Crashing so constantly (at least I hope so).

In the Settings-General-Joystick Option I still had a joystick in there that was no longer plugged into my system. Last night I clicked on the 'Unassign' button to remove it and I was able to play DCS for hours without a single voice attack crash.

Hopefully this was the issue, and hopefully if it was this will be of help to others.

Hmm, I’ll have to try that. Thanks.