Looking at Gladiator NXT

Taz1004

My Saitek X52 stick finally dead after 13 years.  I can't spend $1,000 on HOTAS without jeopardizing my marriage so I'm considering Gladiator NXT and continue to use X52 throttle.  Couple questions.

When my throttle finally dies too, what standalone throttle option do I have?  That are in similar budget as NXT that is.  I do want separate throttle.

Also, does VKB have its own profiling software?

You can use any throttle that work as standalone controller, know models:

Thrustmaster TWCS throttle

Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle

Thrustmaster TQS - with TUSBA adapter, or converted for standalone with Arduino, BU0836A...

CH PRO throttle

Saitek X-52 throttle

Saitek-X55/56 throttle

VirPil T50CM throttle (any V#)

GVL224 throttles (custom made by order)

Kantorrini throttle (made by order)

And the "to be released after Chinese Lunar New Year" VKB TECS throttle (just is not known what year they refer to). 😛 

And to be released (?) VKB THQ-SEM modules.

VKB DevCfg software, that store buttons, axes configurations in joystick EPROM, is used only for set parameters, don't need run in game background, has keyboard and mouse emulation if want.

Joystick Gremlin can be used for keyboard emulation, combining any brand of joysticks as one.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Hi @Taz1004

Can't comment on the throttle question, but to answer on the profiling software yes it does, at first it's a bit daunting (but won't be to you for long judging by your mods)

VKB_DevCfg, search VKB software in YouTube there are a string of videos on it, I believe it can also be used for keyboard strokes too although I've never tried that

Damm it all Sokol beat me to it 😄

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 2:46 AM, Taz1004 said:

Thanks for the answers.  Placed the order.  Hope it arrives soon.

That TECS looks very good.

I placed an order through alieexpress on the 3rd Feb, to be delivered to me in Baghdad, and received an email about an hour ago that it's now with Iraqi customs in Baghdad Airport, and should be with me Monday or Tuesday  now that's pretty fast indeed !!

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

On 1/17/2021 at 8:14 AM, Taz1004 said:

My Saitek X52 stick finally dead after 13 years.  I can't spend $1,000 on HOTAS without jeopardizing my marriage so I'm considering Gladiator NXT and continue to use X52 throttle.  Couple questions.

When my throttle finally dies too, what standalone throttle option do I have?  That are in similar budget as NXT that is.  I do want separate throttle.

I'm using an X-56 throttle with my recently acquired NXT. Deadly combination for the A-10CII.

you won't be disappointed with the NXT

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

10 hours ago, Sr. said:

I'm using an X-56 throttle with my recently acquired NXT. Deadly combination for the A-10CII.

you won't be disappointed with the NXT

So, since you already have throttle like me, what do you use the throttle on the NXT for?  I'm having hard time coming up with good use for it.

Edited by Taz1004

1 hour ago, Taz1004 said:

So, since you already have throttle like me, what do you use the throttle on the NXT for?  I'm having hard time coming up with good use for it.

Nothing yet, Or the other 2 encoders. I do use 2 of the base buttons for F10 and recenter VR 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

20 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Nothing yet, Or the other 2 encoders. I do use 2 of the base buttons for F10 and recenter VR 

Encoders another cons of this device.  I tried assigning them to knobs like heading bug knob but it doesn't work like mouse scroll wheel.  Spinning it fast doesn't make the knobs turn faster.  Just make them turn slowly for longer.  Like it's delayed.  I have one set to night vision gains but haven't found any other uses for them.

11 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Encoders another cons of this device.  I tried assigning them to knobs like heading bug knob but it doesn't work like mouse scroll wheel.  Spinning it fast doesn't make the knobs turn faster.  Just make them turn slowly for longer.  Like it's delayed.  I have one set to night vision gains but haven't found any other uses for them.

From the few videos I've seen (very few) using their config software should allow you to do it. Figuring out the software is the real trick.

This is as far as I've gotten... I'm too scared to actually change anything 🙂

NXT.PNG

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

11 minutes ago, Sr. said:

From the few videos I've seen (very few) using their config software should allow you to do it. Figuring out the software is the real trick.

This is as far as I've gotten... I'm too scared to actually change anything 🙂

NXT.PNG

Yea, I've tried every combination in that setting and so far, there's no way to make it work like mouse wheel.  It is just button emulation and doesn't account for speed of the wheel's rotation.  Just speed of the "clicks".  And if you make it "click" too fast, then DCS doesn't recognize it.  You can only assign them to non-time critical functions that doesn't require a lot of spinning such as NVG gains.  Even for MFD brightness, I have to spin them for long time and using buttons or keyboard is faster.

20 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Yea, I've tried every combination in that setting and so far, there's no way to make it work like mouse wheel.  It is just button emulation and doesn't account for speed of the wheel's rotation.  Just speed of the "clicks".  And if you make it "click" too fast, then DCS doesn't recognize it.  You can only assign them to non-time critical functions that doesn't require a lot of spinning such as NVG gains.  Even for MFD brightness, I have to spin them for long time and using buttons or keyboard is faster.

Same here. For now, I'm sticking to using the stick pinky button as a modifier to expand the buttons and toggles on the throttle.

for example: modifier + throttle TGL 1 up/down is what I use for NVG gain up/down

At one time I had used the Logitech software to use it's rotaries to do certain things, but it was just too frustrating to dial in.

I'm waiting on parts to build a button box with a few rotary encoders. Hopefully I have better luck with that.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Found a manual... but, oh boy.

starting at Page 85 looks interesting

https://vkbcontrollers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/controller_2_11_En.pdf

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

I was able to configure rotary 4 on the X-56 to increase/decrease the Instrument Panel Lights and RTY 3 for Flood in the A-10CII

From there, I just used my modifier (pinky button on the stick) to control brightness of formation light with RTY 4.

Using Directional Axis, advance command, key press (used the up down arrows on KB) Then quantize time = 0.00, then assigned up to increase and down to decrease in DCS. 

Played with the sensitivity til I had it in range of the cockpit dial.

Wish the VKB app was as intuitive.

rotary.PNG

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

My Gladiator arrived today, not a fan of the thumb tracking, but too scared to try swapping it out for a 4 way just now.

I have to say, initial impressions without launching DCS is pretty good, has a much better feel than my old TM1600
The hand stop could have done with being a little bit wider, but it does have nice fluid feel about it.. now the deep joys of setting up all the buttons and switches !

Delivery was a bit of a debacle, it sat in Dubai for 3 days, and the FedEx delivery summary was wrong, but probably down to the person doing the tracking actually being a day ahead.

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

21 minutes ago, Sokol1_br said:

If the game command was programmed to be handled with mouse, try use the mouse emulation in VKB DevCfg:

DevCfg.jpg

I don't see that Mouse option in my VKPDevCfg.exe.  Only Keyboard.  Not seeing it in the manual either.  That's for Gladiator NXT?

And even if that works, I don't see how you can assign both wheels to emulate two separate mouse.  Plus, I have mouse wheel assigned to something else.

It needs to work like Saitek scroll wheel.  But I think it's not the same type of wheel.

Edited by Taz1004

3 hours ago, Oban said:

My Gladiator arrived today, not a fan of the thumb tracking, but too scared to try swapping it out for a 4 way just now.

I have to say, initial impressions without launching DCS is pretty good, has a much better feel than my old TM1600
The hand stop could have done with being a little bit wider, but it does have nice fluid feel about it.. now the deep joys of setting up all the buttons and switches !

Delivery was a bit of a debacle, it sat in Dubai for 3 days, and the FedEx delivery summary was wrong, but probably down to the person doing the tracking actually being a day ahead.

I can't speak for the Gladiator but if it is anything like the VKB Ultimate grip swapping those hats is a piece of cake.

Two screws, pop out, pop new one in.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

6 hours ago, Oban said:

15 min job, tops.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

I will give this a go, I have to admit, going from my portable TM1600 to the NXT is night and day, the NXT feels so much more fluid.

After launching DCS, now wondering which button is best suited to trim, the mini-stick feels right to change into the trim, that's what I have set up for at present, loving this new "travelling stick"

I have the full warthog HOTAS at home in Thailand, but due to covid and my new position in work, have been unable to return to my home and my fiancee for 12 months now, so this NXT is a little morale booster for me !!

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

so swapped it out, was going well, till I snapped the supplied mini screw driver handle off.. bit of a lick from there, took me 45 mins from that point.

The hat switch I swapped out feels very loose, not sure If I'm going to like that, I've a feeling the rotation should have been different, but can't do fuck all till I get another screwdriver to fix it !

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

I have the premium version on the NXT  and its only just usable. I love the joystick but the software is confusing to use. I can tell there is a great deal of customization available... you can change the functions from .. im going to butcher  this with my less than precise terms .... you can remap buttons to be toggles like the switches in an aircraft or pressure switches  that require constant pressing to to active like a trigger. The throttle is the only truly analog   out of the box control. The wheels count as two buttons  with up or down rolls counting as button presses and depending on the value attributed to a single button press, the rate of change can be frustratingly slow. In theory you create a profile and upload it into the advice. I've tried to create toggle switches out of f2 f1 and f3 on the joystick basetop to use them as landing gear etc toggles but i've never gotten it to take. the software is the weakest part IMO 

You can use the built in stuff but VKB is supposed to have a series of NXT extension modules that are not a part of TECS  that are supposed to allow a create your own control set up that lacks the fidelity of something like a thrustmaster joystick, but is very customizable. Think tecs  is more like premium stand alone. as a lefty I am more or less stuck using the NXT modular stuff since  EVERY throttle is right handed.  

Edited by FlyingTaco21

On 2/6/2021 at 11:42 AM, Taz1004 said:

I had a similar issue with something I was using once. Now, you sacrifice precision, but I made the ''press'' longer, so each notch on the axis triggered a larger movement, which brought it down to a manageable thing again. Tbh, I don't remember now what device I was tinkering with... I think it was my VRInsight panel encoders? I had a pretty complex pit at one time, and making everything work properly was always a bit of the arcane.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2