Pressure and turbulance

Hoirtel

I wonder if anyone is able to help me understand the pressure setting and turbulance setting (not wake turbulance) in the ME weather settings. When setting up weather in missions I usually start with one of the default settings and then tune windspeed and strength from there. However I have noticed that I often get pressure settings that aren't settable in the aircraft and also seem drastically different to pressure in other weather scenarios, which seems wrong. Also as you can change it to whatever you like but I'm not sure exactly how that affects the mission as setting it to 2992 doesn't seem to mean that I get airfield elevation at this setting? 

Also the turbulance value, I'm never sure what this should be. It's nice to fly with a bit of realitc movement - but it would be helpful to know what values are realistic. I.e for hot and dry, cold and still, windy etc. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Turbulence: Explanation

Edit: In regards to pressure, I assume you’re referring to the pressure differential setting in dynamic weather, since QNH in standard weather can’t be set to 2992.

Dynamic weather is more art than science. The settings do not reflect real weather settings. Rather they are there to generate weather effects that change over time using DCS’s “weather” system.

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

I wasnt referring to the dynamic weather. Just below the cloud settings there is a box where you can set the QNH. Or have I misunderstood?

Ahhh... it was you saying that you set it to “2992” that made me think otherwise. That number is much higher than what’s allowed in that box. You can type it in but as soon as you click in another box, it’s automatically changed to the highest allowed number (790?).

I’m not sure that setting actually changes much of anything “weather-wise”. It’ll change altimeter settings but that’s about it. Temperature has some effect on engine behavior but I don’t think the QNH changes much of anything. But, then again, I don’t normally play around with that. So I might be off base.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

32 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

Ahhh... it was you saying that you set it to “2992” that made me think otherwise. That number is much higher than what’s allowed in that box. You can type it in but as soon as you click in another box, it’s automatically changed to the highest allowed number (790?).

I’m not sure that setting actually changes much of anything “weather-wise”. It’ll change altimeter settings but that’s about it. Temperature has some effect on engine behavior but I don’t think the QNH changes much of anything. But, then again, I don’t normally play around with that. So I might be off base.

Sorry, I may not have phased the question very well. From what I understood the pressure setting in the ME sets what is written in the mission briefing, however it doesn't seem correct that I should be able to decide what this is as it's linked to temperature, location and altitude IRL. If I use a preset weather (from the drop down - not dynamic) then it's seems incorrect i.e giving me values I can't match in the aircraft. I'm sure I'm going wrong here. 

All planes seem to load with the altimeter at 2992 so it's not changing that. Thanks for the help.  

20 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

All planes seem to load with the altimeter at 2992 so it's not changing that.

What does change is the pressure the tower reports, when you interact with it. And that might be all. 

_____

On 1/18/2021 at 2:01 PM, Ironhand said:

What does change is the pressure the tower reports, when you interact with it. And that might be all. 

I've double checked and it, the aircraft always loads at 2992. The pressure setting in the ME is what is required to display the correct airfield elevation. So I am still a little confused as to how to set this correctly and why we are even able to decide what pressure the missions should be at. It really doesn't make sense as the pressure will also change depending on location on that map. 

I've also confirmed that the preset static weather can give you a pressure setting that is not settable in the aircraft so you can't get a correct altimeter readout.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on how best to use/set this.