Absolutely Loving the Gazelle

I'm not what you would call a "flight simmer." The last proper "flying" game that I played with any level of seriousness was Silent Thunder: A-10 Tank Killer II back in 1996... when I was six years old (I got it for my birthday.) The Gazelle has changed that. Even with using a $30 joystick, I feel like I am in full control of this airframe. It works great, and makes me feel like an absolute daredevil every time I fly under a powerline at 5 meters AGL in the middle of the night. 

Sure, the most "dangerous" variant, the SA342M, has HOT 3 wire-guided missiles that *only* travel 4.3 KM before destroying whatever sorry piece of Eastern Bloc junk that you happened to be looking at. Who cares? The optics on this are insane! I can talk my wingmen onto targets at 15 KM very accurately, and can identify targets using range estimation out even further (maybe 30-40 KM, depending on conditions.) As a scout helicopter, the Gazelle is truly in its element, and is soundly set as the "hunter" in any hunter/killer team. 

The SA342L is often not mentioned, but allows me to unleash even more of the daredevil inside. Yeah, you've got 8 rockets and 240 rounds of 20mm, but you can do some significant damage! Hold your fire until you have a very high degree of accuracy within the effective range of each, and you'll be ripping through insurgent strongpoints, poorly guarded command posts, and even enemy helicopters. I've killed three Hinds with the Lima, plus like 5-6 MI-8s, and it is one heck of an experience.

I can't say that everything is perfect, such as the lack of an AI gunner for the Minigun variant, but I'm absolutely hooked on the Gazelle. As long as you realize that you aren't getting a hovering Deathstar like the KA-50, and place great value on teamwork (two SA342Ms can realistically render an enemy tank company non-mission capable,) it is a great airframe. I'm at 15 hours of total flight time, with about 1/3rd of that at night. It has made me finally start to think seriously about this whole "flight simulation" thing.

For those struggling, I highly recommend Chuck's guide to the SA342 as found on Mudspike. I've used his recommended axis settings, and they work great.

Edited by Revenant
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, cromhunt said:

Thanks for your comments;This kind of thread is very rare about the gazelle;The most of time all players complain.

Check out your Pm please.

Not me! My favorite helicopter module by far, and I love it!

• Like 2

------------

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H,1080Ti OC edition, i7-8770k 5ghz, 1 T SSD, 16GB DDR4 3200, HTC VIVE, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, Gametrix JETSEAT, Voice attack

Skilled pilots with steady hands can achieve a lot with the Gazelle.

Searching and destroying SAM positions is great fun with the Gazelle.

In our team, the gazelle is used with pleasure and often.

Edited by Crash *
  • Like 1

System Specs: AMD R5 1600x, Windows 10 64-Bit, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080, X52 Pro Throttle, Tobsen CM Kollektiv, Saitek Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base, HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 / MI-8 / SA-342   Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis    WWII: Spitfire

Misc.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria   Waiting for: Mi-24 P / OH-58 / AH-64 D / BO-105

4 minutes ago, Crash * said:

Skilled pilots with steady hands can achieve a lot with the Gazelle.

Searching and destroying SAM positions is great fun with the Gazelle.

In our team, the gazelle is used with pleasure and often.

Agreed! It is incredible the amount of control and dexterity one can exert over it with practice. It's also a module where a precise (virpil) flight stick can make a huge difference.

• Like 1

------------

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H,1080Ti OC edition, i7-8770k 5ghz, 1 T SSD, 16GB DDR4 3200, HTC VIVE, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, Gametrix JETSEAT, Voice attack

9 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Agreed! It is incredible the amount of control and dexterity one can exert over it with practice. It's also a module where a precise (virpil) flight stick can make a huge difference.

I can only imagine. I'm flying it with a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (you know it's quality when they put '3D' and 'Pro' in the title) and I think it feels very good just with that and my relentless knuckle-dragging manhandling. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just picked up the Gazelle a month after the UH-1H Huey as always gave helicopter's a miss i am really enjoying them both especially the Gazelle as so many people seem to complain about it...i have not stopped flying it for the last two days, i am also not what you would call a pro sim pilot but using the Logitech 3d Pro and an X52 i have had no problem with hover and general flight in both aircraft.👍

• Like 1

yea, i have all the rotors, and the gazelle is one of my favs, huge amount of hours in her, its like a little sports car 🙂

to be fair i never found the bugs either and i fly her a lot

hell even my avatars is a gazzy 🙂

the best stick i found for rotors without going silly is the CH combat stick, its so light, i couldt get on with my hog for rotors, teamed this with the hog throttle, the gps too and your good to go.

i cant wait for your next module

• Like 1

Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts:

I have a helicopter rating in RL, with an AS-350 (now H-125) type rating.  I only have about 100hrs TT on helicopters (12,000+ heavy jet) - but the Gazelle is fantastic.  The SAS is likely for any differences I perceived from my distant recollection of flying AS-350s briefly.  I also have the Huey module (only about 30 mins stick time in a real one) - but I enjoy the Gaz, by far!  She might have gotten a bad rep early on, but Id recommend it thoroughly.

Flying the minigun (no doors) variant in VR, over the Golan Heights on Syria map with my fan blowing on me is literally UNREAL>.  Fantastic!

• Like 3

I like the Gazelle too, but not because of the FM/flight controls and how it feels, I honestly think it sucks and is not realistic at all, but the mission profile, the systems and the weapons of the Gazelle are great, and therefore I like flying the Gazelle even if I often find myself complaining about the way it flies. One can still have fun with it nevertheless and deal with the quirky FM/controls (with curves, saturation, knowing what it can and cannot do) 

I am really looking forward to the Kiowa and seeing how PC applies their lessons learned from the Gazelle to make the Kiowa better, and subsequently revisit the Gazelle and tune the FM/flight controls accordingly.

• Like 1

I found that applying the axis curves found in Chuck's Guide REALLY helped with the general feel of flying this helo. https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-sa-342m-l-mistral-gazelle/

I just jumped back in after about two weeks of zero flight time (work, real life, etc) and it still felt amazing to fly. It seemed like it was a bit easier to land today that it had been in the past, but this is probably just me being surprised at how much my muscle memory kicked in. 

Anyway, no more excuses. I need to finish an SA342L mission I've been working on this weekend and get it up for testing. 

Hey guys, I have the 4 helicopters and most jets in steam version. And these days I decided to turn to official platform (for the sense of origin) and to buy the favorite modules again.. And Gazelle is the first helicopter I will re-buy .

• Like 1

@lqqfrank

3 hours ago, lqqfrank said:

... these days I decided to turn to official platform (for the sense of origin) and to buy the favorite modules again.. And Gazelle is the first helicopter I will re-buy .

While not wanting to take money from Polychop, there is no need to re-buy modules when moving from Steam to Standalone - you can LINK your previous Steam purchases to your ED Store account and download via the standalone's module manager.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/500/#3303126

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2070 Super 8GB, 1TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 1+1TB SSD, MSFFB2 joystick, X52 Pro Throttle, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Haven’t bought any helo modules yet, but have used the current free to play period to get some hours in on the Huey, Hip and Gazelle...

Despite the dire warnings, I really like the Gazelle, she’s twitchy and agile but a fun little thing to fly around in 👍

Definitely needs to be flown with very light and measured cyclic inputs

Didn’t really bond with the Huey, but do like the Hip

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Ramsay said:

@lqqfrank

While not wanting to take money from Polychop, there is no need to re-buy modules when moving from Steam to Standalone - you can LINK your previous Steam purchases to your ED Store account and download via the standalone's module manager.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/500/#3303126

Thank you ! I thought I was coming to help others to know this module better. I didn’t realize it’s me needing help.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2021 at 1:10 AM, rkk01 said:

Despite the dire warnings, I really like the Gazelle, she’s twitchy and agile but a fun little thing to fly around in 👍

Definitely needs to be flown with very light and measured cyclic inputs

Try the axis curves as printed in Chuck's Guide (see my above post) if you haven't already. 

• 4 weeks later...

I can do nothing but agree wholeheartedly with the original post. The gazelle is a wonderful model. I just found it a few days ago and have been putting myself through a fairly thorough run through and testing of all the systems and flight characteristics as well as some mp server missions. I’m not sure what is so controversial about this module.

im a professional helicopter pilot, and whilst I have flown the gazelle it was very limited number of hours so I’m not qualified to speak accurately on its likeness in flight modeling. I am however very familiar with fenestron helicopters and i have to say I think the modeling of this is pretty close. The gazelle is a twitchy machine, especially in the hover in yaw and you have to be delicate on the pedals. I find the handling of this in dcs to be very acceptable and pretty damn close and general flight characteristics to be very good. The trim works properly, which is not true for all modules in dcs and a very welcome little detail. A lot depends on how you set your curves. My feeling is not to “castrate” it too much with the curves and saturation as polychop have it fairly close. I kept all the saturation to 100 and just added a little curve in all axis to aid the sensitivity and take into consideration the Hoyas controls I’m using. Flies like a dream. 
This module is perfectly suited to good tactical missions working in pairs and applying good team work. Doing this, in my view it is absolutely the most satisfying module in dcs bar none. A combination of an Mike and a Lima scouting, targeting and doing talk ons for each other is very very effective. Use the HOT on the Mike for the armor, then guns and rockets on the Lima for infantry, working as a team and you have an extremely potent combination. Even with only 4.3k range, this is more than enough if you are using good fieldcraft and correct battle positions and communication. The Thermal sight and tv are excellent also in the implementation and work as they should. 
My only complaint is that I did not find or try this module a long time ago. It’s truly an excellent dcs module and in my view totally unwarranted of the criticism it has received. I’ve been flying military and civilian helicopters for 25 years and in my humble opinion this gazelle module is exactly what I want out of a helicopter module in dcs. 

• Like 4

@TED
A proper sim controls setup with a FFB enabled or springless/friction based stick as cyclic would change your point of view instantly. It would show you how realistic trim is actually working in DCS and what a proper full blade element flight model can do with correct cyclic input (UH-1, Mi-8, Ka50). This is where DCS and all the helicopter modules from ED are years ahead from any competition for helicopter simulation on home computers since 2009. The Gazelle module ignores all those details.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 10920X @4.8GHz, 3090 OC, 64 GB RAM @3600, Valve Index, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with FFB base mod (G940), DCS: all modules

I haven't spent enough time on the DCS Gazelle, but I have about 500 hours on the real one (learned to fly helicopters on it, transitioned to the Wessex, then Sea King, then back to Gazelle and then Lynx).

My initial impressions weren't especially favourable, but I didn't spend any real effort in getting properly set up - just kicked the tyres, lit the fires, decided it wasn't all that and left it. Pretty sure, in hindsight, that I wasn't fair.

I'll give it a bit more time when I'm able and who knows - maybe I'll be a convert. At least things that are broken on it seem to get fixed (unlike the Black Shark)

Edited by Blackjack_UK
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Polychop have said they'll update the flight model. I have tried the gazelle and I really didn't like the way it flew regardless of the controversy. This isn't the module that does it for me, the harrier is another case of this, I simply don't like how it flies.

The thing is I had the same opinions on other modules, I hated the ka50 because it being my first helo module, I simply hadn't had the skill to fly it like I wanted it to fly. But be it personal interest or some sort of growing affection for flying it, I actually came to absolutely love the ka50. The same story happened with the mi8, I hated this thing because of VRS, then same story, I absolutely love it now. The gazelle was the third helo I flew, hated this thing, never came to like how it flew. I bought the huey after the gazelle, absolutely enjoyed it from the get go.

This is just to say this thing never clicked with me, perhaps be it a less controversial flight model (that even PC themselves said they'll update it, whatever this brings to the table), perhaps something could've went differently with my enjoyment from it. I am sure as hell gonna try out the updated FM whenever this comes around for the slim chance that my experience becomes the same as the other helos I mentioned.

I'm probably just rambling, take my comment for what it is, simply my feelings about the gazelle.

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

The Gazelle is the only attack chopper module in DCS that is fit for purpose in a peer to peer combat arena like DCS.

There are no others.... yet.

Once her FM is sorted, she will be superb and still very valuable regardless of what top end heavy weight attack chopper comes next.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 2

HP pro Reverb.

Current settings:

Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.

Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.

My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.

VR Driver system:

I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3

[code][code][code][code]

[/code][/code][/code][/code]200 Hz. No OC at the mo.

Yeah, The Gazelle sits beautifully in the Digital Combat Simulation world.

Perfectly designed for the thick of combat, agile and small, the best defensive suite in all of DCS choppers right now.

There is no doubt that this weapon is bred to survive in amongst the very thick end of war. 

Yeah, sure there are a few small FM problems here and there, but what a gain!

Top of the pile, Alpha chopper.... WHAT A WEAPON!

Nothing in DCS attack choppers touches this module.

You can cut 4 hinds in half with this little girl and you can do it in their own land based defensive bubble.... I sh!t you not!

The Gazelle is a perfectly balanced weapon.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

HP pro Reverb.

Current settings:

Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.

Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.

My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.

VR Driver system:

I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3

[code][code][code][code]

[/code][/code][/code][/code]200 Hz. No OC at the mo.

Cyclic input (even the tiniest bit) producing continuous roll is not just a small FM problem. No helicopter in the world works this way, it's physically impossible and lack of knowledge by the developer.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 10920X @4.8GHz, 3090 OC, 64 GB RAM @3600, Valve Index, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with FFB base mod (G940), DCS: all modules