VR vs a very large monitor with TrackIR

Sparrow_1976

The best comparison I've found for my friends asking about the new Rig is to compare it to driving.  When you drive your eyes follow the road, when you turn a corner you follow the corner with your eyes, past the windscreen frame around the corner, you anticipate and watch what's coming.  When you play a racing game you look straight ahead out the front.  With TrackIR you can glance at the console or across a turn, but you cant really follow it naturally, you cant feel where you are in space relative to the ground around you or look out and over the side of your Helo.  TrackIR is a concept, Vr is the realisation of it.  My only remaining issue is the lack of input controls which I am hoping a finger mouse will resolve. Even with the current limitations of the engine I would not go back to 2D beyond using it to learn system concepts on my Cougar MFD's which have a screen output underneath and are slightly easier to use when writing notes. .

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

1 hour ago, shu77 said:

The best comparison I've found for my friends asking about the new Rig is to compare it to driving.  When you drive your eyes follow the road, when you turn a corner you follow the corner with your eyes, past the windscreen frame around the corner, you anticipate and watch what's coming.  When you play a racing game you look straight ahead out the front.  With TrackIR you can glance at the console or across a turn, but you cant really follow it naturally, you cant feel where you are in space relative to the ground around you or look out and over the side of your Helo.  TrackIR is a concept, Vr is the realisation of it.  My only remaining issue is the lack of input controls which I am hoping a finger mouse will resolve. Even with the current limitations of the engine I would not go back to 2D beyond using it to learn system concepts on my Cougar MFD's which have a screen output underneath and are slightly easier to use when writing notes. .

If you have not have a look at Point Control.

Seems to be really good , I finally broke down and got on the waiting list for one.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 hours ago, dburne said:

If you have not have a look at Point Control.

What's wrong with the existing point and click using just your head and 2 mapped button on your hotas for left/right click? 

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

2 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

What's wrong with the existing point and click using just your head and 2 mapped button on your hotas for left/right click? 

It works ok but is not great for scrolling and depending on where the button is having to turn the head a lot to get cursor over it. I ain't as young as I once was.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

10 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Oh, crap, you can do that? 😮

Edit - wait, then how do you get the cursor to appear? For me I use the mouse and it only appears when I move the mouse

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

I keep this next to my throttle, works great for clicking stuff in the cockpit and navigating menus/desktop in VR. 

80f188b3-7f98-494b-8eb6-b62625791ca7.__C

https://www.amazon.com/ELECOM-M-XT4DRBK-Wireless-Trackball-Left-Handed/dp/B016QCPRBM

Edited by some1
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

19 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Edit - wait, then how do you get the cursor to appear? For me I use the mouse and it only appears when I move the mouse

You can assign mouse functions to buttons on HOTAS in the UI Layer of the controller menu.

Scroll down the aircraft listings it is near the bottom.

Be aware this is a global setting and not module specific.

Just a press of the button will get you the mouse cursor.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

Don B

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

You can assign mouse functions to buttons on HOTAS in the UI Layer of the controller menu.

Scroll down the aircraft listings it is near the bottom.

Be aware this is a global setting and not module specific.

Just a press of the button will get you the mouse cursor.

Oh, cool, good info. Maybe not great for things like switching the oxygen on in the Tomcat (I'm not an owl), I see this being a quicker way to do things like Master Arm or switching the TID mode that are more upfront. Quicker than reaching for the mouse each time?

2 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Oh, cool, good info. Maybe not great for things like switching the oxygen on in the Tomcat (I'm not an owl), I see this being a quicker way to do things like Master Arm or switching the TID mode that are more upfront. Quicker than reaching for the mouse each time?

Yeah it is certainly good for some things where one does not have to turn head too much to get cursor over it.

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

It works ok but is not great for scrolling and depending on where the button is having to turn the head a lot to get cursor over it. I ain't as young as I once was.

Fair enough...I do have to 'help' my head too to click behind me 🙂

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

2 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

I don't use the mouse...so not ticked under VR tab... that way you always have the pointer in the middle of where you look and you click right away

2 hours ago, some1 said:

I keep this next to my throttle, works great for clicking stuff in the cockpit and navigating menus/desktop in VR. 

80f188b3-7f98-494b-8eb6-b62625791ca7.__C

https://www.amazon.com/ELECOM-M-XT4DRBK-Wireless-Trackball-Left-Handed/dp/B016QCPRBM

Yes, that's the exact one I have.

mousehotas.jpg

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

I don't use the mouse...so not ticked under VR tab... that way you always have the pointer in the middle of where you look and you click right away

So I just tried and that solution seems awesome - except for the constant blue crosshair right in my center of view. Is that something that you just grow to tolerate? Everything else is better really - being able to use the one crosshair for the radios, using assigned hotas clicks instead of the mouse - but I'd have to learn to get used to the blue crosshair right in prime visual territory.

Edited by unlikely_spider

8 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

So I just tried and that solution seems awesome - except for the constant blue crosshair right in my center of view. Is that something that you just grow to tolerate? Everything else is better really - being able to use the one crosshair for the radios, using assigned hotas clicks instead of the mouse - but I'd have to learn to get used to the blue crosshair right in prime visual territory.

I mostly do not see it anymore indeed. At least not when focussing outside so it does not bother me.  I did turn off the switch labels though otherwise these would appear everytime the crosshair would sit on an actionable button/lever etc... that was annoying 🙂

BTW... I assigned the stick buttons for left/right/wheel using Joystick gremlin rather than assigning them in DCS.  Otherwise you can't use them when going through menus as they only become active once flying... I found that irritating in VR especially as pointing / clicking using that becomes instinctive.  Personal preference though.

Edited by Brainfreeze
  • Thanks 1

If a VR device manufacturer could simply give 140 degree FOV and no SDE they would win the internet.

• Thanks 1

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

15 minutes ago, DerekSpeare said:

If a VR device manufacturer could simply give 140 degree FOV and no SDE they would win the internet.

How would you feel about 160 degree FOV and no SDE?

That said I run mine at 120 degree FOV because I prefer 72fps to 15fps in VR...🤣

• Thanks 1

SYS : RYZEN 9 5950X + Crosshair VIII Hero + RTX 3090 FE 32GB + TridentZ NEO 32GB 3600MHz + FireCuda 520 1TB

VR Pimax 8KX : DCS 1.0, VR, Steam 100% (3148x3160), FOV 120 degrees || Quest2 || Index || Reverb G2

SIM : DCS || Star Wars Squadrons || Rise of Flight || IL2 Battle of Stalingrad || Elite Dangerous || Star Citizen

DCS: Textures & Terrain High, Water & Vis Medium, Heat Blur Low, Shadows Medium, MSAA 2x, DoF OFF, Lens Flare Only, Motion Blur Off, SSAA & SSLR Off, Clutter 170, Trees 66%, Smoke 0, Anisotropic 2x, Terrain Shadows Flat, Cockpit Global Illumination On

PIT : VKB Gunfighter base + VKB F14 grip || VKB Kosima grip + Virpl TC50 CM3 throttle + Logitch G pedals + Pimax Leap Motion hand tracking + SimShaker feedback