Pattern Direction

PhoenixRising

Generally, you want to avoid overflying populated areas when in the pattern. In other words, on land the break is to the side with fewer buildings on it. At sea, it's always to the left, at least with the carriers that we have. This is presumably related to the location of the island, though I don't know which side they broke towards for example on the Ark Royal (WWII British carrier with the island on the port side), if they did so at all. 

4 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Generally, you want to avoid overflying populated areas when in the pattern. In other words, on land the break is to the side with fewer buildings on it. At sea, it's always to the left, at least with the carriers that we have. This is presumably related to the location of the island, though I don't know which side they broke towards for example on the Ark Royal (WWII British carrier with the island on the port side), if they did so at all. 

The Ark Royal had its island on the starboard side. 

640px-HMS_Ark_Royal_h85716.jpg

• Thanks 1

The photo I've seen must have been mirrored, it's sometimes the case with WWII ones. I'm pretty sure the IJN carriers had the island on the port side, but they likely used different procedures. I thought I've seen an odd-looking early Allied carrier with island on the other side at some point, but I couldn't find it now.

The only port-side-island carriers I know of were the IJN Hiryū and Akagi. According to Wikipedia (probably not an ideal source) the port-side island on the Akagi was tried as an experiment, "to see if that side was better for flight operations by moving the island away from the ship's exhaust outlets". The majority of Japanese carriers followed the starboard-island convention, so presumably there wasn't any benefit.

And yes, it's quite common to see WW2-era photographs mirrored. It was very easy to accidentally flip the negative before taking a print, and if you didn't know what you were looking at, it may not have been obvious. And sometimes photos in newspapers etc may even have been deliberately flipped, just for composition purposes.

Edited by AndyJWest