F14B TCS sensor question

Gun Jam

What kind of sensor does the TCS use in our DCS f14B? Images and some descriptions seem to indicate that its infrared was that on later models only? The manual doesn't discuss this. I dont see a selection option "clear view / IR" and it does not appear to function at night.

Thanks

-Gun

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-EO-Systems.html

An AN/AXX-1 Television Camera System, which is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin: a EO TV camera. It has no IIR functionality, and generally isn't going to work too well after the sun goes down.

The very first production variants of the F-14 had an IRST, but it was wildly ineffective and quickly removed from all aircraft. The F-14D had a newer, more effective IRST model that was paired with the TCS and was considered effective. Neither IRST was an IR Imager, they produced a blip when they detected a heatsource, probably at an azimuth and elevation on the DDD. Think the EO modes on the Flanker/Fulcrum rather than a LANTIRN or TGP. 

1 hour ago, near_blind said:

Neither IRST was an IR Imager, they produced a blip when they detected a heatsource, probably at an azimuth and elevation on the DDD. 

Wish we had better info on them... the IRST footage you see online doesn't appear to be IRST footage, but instead is TPOD footage...

Edited by Whiskey11

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

1 hour ago, near_blind said:

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-EO-Systems.html

An AN/AXX-1 Television Camera System, which is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin: a EO TV camera. It has no IIR functionality, and generally isn't going to work too well after the sun goes down.

The very first production variants of the F-14 had an IRST, but it was wildly ineffective and quickly removed from all aircraft. The F-14D had a newer, more effective IRST model that was paired with the TCS and was considered effective. Neither IRST was an IR Imager, they produced a blip when they detected a heatsource, probably at an azimuth and elevation on the DDD. Think the EO modes on the Flanker/Fulcrum rather than a LANTIRN or TGP. 

I have photos of IRST imaging

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

4 minutes ago, BreaKKer said:

I have photos of IRST imaging

That'd be cool to see...

This video claims to be IRST footage... but the IRST box isn't selected on the right hand side and later it shows near perfect top down views of an airbase... seems more like a TPOD image to me.

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

1 hour ago, Whiskey11 said:

That'd be cool to see...

This video claims to be IRST footage... but the IRST box isn't selected on the right hand side and later it shows near perfect top down views of an airbase... seems more like a TPOD image to me.

It’s IRST imaging. Look at where the center line is in relation to the image, vs how far to the right it would be in comparison to the TPOD

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights