Will there be single player?

KiwiOz

He was also a bombadier and quasi-flight engineer wasn't he? I thought he went down into the nose for bombing runs, and operated some kind of engine device (cooler doors?) for the starboard engine during normal flight.

Edited by Nealius

16 minutes ago, Nealius said:

He was also a bombadier and quasi-flight engineer wasn't he? I thought he went down into the nose for bombing runs, and operated some kind of engine device (cooler doors?) for the starboard engine during normal flight.

Not in the version we have, no bombardier, and no glass nose. 

On 1/17/2021 at 6:49 AM, Nealius said:

https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Starboard-Seat-Dave-McIntosh/dp/0825300258

Terror in the Starboard Seat: A truly good read by a Mosquito FB VI navigator who rode 41 missions with a wild man for a pilot.

Mostly, his duties consisted of what the pilot kept yelling at him: "Look out the back!"

Highly recommended!

• Like 4

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

3 hours ago, HotTom said:

Terror in the Starboard Seat: A truly good read by a Mosquito FB VI navigator who rode 41 missions with a wild man for a pilot.

Mostly, his duties consisted of what the pilot kept yelling at him: "Look out the back!"

Highly recommended!

Best written WWII pilot autobiography I have read 👍 - by a wide margin.

Both Sid the pilot and Dave McIntosh had a good dose of self humor and Dave is brutally honest about his deeds and feelings (mostly terror...).

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

while it seems the mossie can be flown solo, i would suggest that in servers that do not give you your position that the navigator is still beficial as it allows the pilot to keep his eyes outward scanning for bandits while the nav is messing with the charts and looking for landmarks (or doing DR) 

would be interesting having long range missions being done on some servers using a nav for the mossies.

Edited by zcrazyx
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, zcrazyx said:

would be interesting having long range missions being done on some servers using a nav for the mossies.

Agree.

I opened a post here ( Kneeboard Map Scroll. - Western Europe 1944-1945 - ED Forums (eagle.ru) ) with the hope that ED will add further functionality to the current kneeboard. This would add a LOT of immersion for the Mosquito Navigators in such a scenario as you mention. Fingers crossed they will do it.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:54 PM, zcrazyx said:

I agree with this. It actually provides some cool options for very realistic MP missions. 

I'll happily have the E6B computer out and my head in the charts for some nice dawn raids on occupied France. Can't wait.

• Like 1

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:20 AM, Bozon said:

Best written WWII pilot autobiography I have read 👍 - by a wide margin.

Both Sid the pilot and Dave McIntosh had a good dose of self humor and Dave is brutally honest about his deeds and feelings (mostly terror...).

Seems like that book is pretty rare?   Are there any cheap/online copies? 

17 hours ago, No.119_Bruv VK-B said:

Seems like that book is pretty rare?   Are there any cheap/online copies? 

Try to look for the 1998 edition, they can still be found in “new” conditions at regular prices. The 1st edition is already at collectors prices.

Maybe here in the UK:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780773730892/Terror-Starboard-Seat-Trips-Aboard-0773730893/plp

It’s a shame if this book fades into obscurity just because Sid and Dave were not famous aces. Unlike most autobiographies, Dave McIntosh had a talent for writing (was a news paper reporter after the war) and did not need a shadow writer to write his autobiography for him. It also describes the war from the eyes of a regular crew that did not enjoy the fame and glory of most aces that we tend to read their autobiographies - they did pull off one glorious day-ranger mission for which they were awarded a DFC.

Edited by Bozon

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 10:15 PM, HotTom said:

Highly recommended!

Holy cats, that's an expensive book!

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

18 hours ago, dmwierz said:

Holy cats, that's an expensive book!

First, you may want to look for the more “recent” print (2nd ed.) The cover looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Starboard-Seat-David-McIntosh/dp/0773730893/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=terror+in+the+starboard+seat&qid=1621488682&sr=8-1

Don't buy this from Amazon. Look for smaller shops that still have new copies of the above edition. You can get it at half the price. Yes, it’s a pretty rare book.

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

• Like 1

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

20 hours ago, bart said:

Thanks, Bart. That's a confusing website. It appears it's a Canadian company, but all I could find is the .uk URL, and the prices are only in pounds. I'm in the US, so I'm going to see if I an find a different URL for Abe Books.

Ok, it was as simple as changing the .co.uk to .com. Free shipping to the US, too. They only had used examples of the older version, but that's ok. Was a lot cheaper. 

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

1 hour ago, dmwierz said:

Thanks, Bart. That's a confusing website. It appears it's a Canadian company, but all I could find is the .uk URL, and the prices are only in pounds. I'm in the US, so I'm going to see if I an find a different URL for Abe Books.

Ok, it was as simple as changing the .co.uk to .com. Free shipping to the US, too. They only had used examples of the older version, but that's ok. Was a lot cheaper. 

I wasn't sure what country you were in so just copied the link as I found it, sorry about that.

Glad you managed to get a copy. Like Bozon said, it's a great read. Hope you enjoy it...

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 8:22 PM, Ercoupe said:

418 Squadron. Canadian unit, I assume? I believe all of the units with 400 numbers were Canadian, in the RAF.

Correction: all of the units with 400 numbers were Commonwealth, in the RAF. 

The 400 series were the Article XV Squadrons and the numbers were allocated to the Dominions who signed the BCATP. Specifically, 400 to 449 were RCAF, 450 to 484 were RAAF and 485 to 499 were allocated to RNZAF.  Not all numbers were allocated by 1945 and somehow we ended up with two 450 sqns after the war...