WW2 Era Trainer...

rkk01

23 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

I’d easily accept all of the above, if it tallied with contemporary or current pilot accounts...

I’m really not convinced that it does.  This article is for the Spitfire V, but is quite useful...

https://haa-uk.aero/document/savouring-the-supermarine-spitfire/

That sounds like the aircraft I have in the sim, particularly the takeoff. The left swing on takeoff, the difficulty in catching the swing early, the sensitivity in pitch causing prop strike danger. It sounds like an aircraft you have to keep on top off or things will go wrong. What he’s not describing is what happens when things go wrong which we tend to fully explore in the sim.

I do think people’s controllers and setup have a massive impact on how an aircraft feels in the sim.

I agree with the OP. A WWII trainer would be a great add-on that would add to the immersion. 

The problem lies in that the range of flyers who would use it, is limited. Most only want to immediately go and shoot things. Learning the basics is secondary. 

The TF-51 does a poor job as a trainer. 

On 1/26/2021 at 5:41 PM, Mogster said:

The CEII has 200bhp, the Spit IX has around 1500...

well, at face value... even more reason to have something like the T-6 Texan / Harvard??? 
(ie something to provide progression to the higher power, and especially higher torque models)

Look a little deeper, and as usual it gets more complicated... eg a small pilot in a lightly fuelled CE2 will have a similar amount of hp per tonne as a standard T/O weight and power Spitfire IX.  Unsurprisingly power to weight for both the CE2 and T-6 are both very dependent on 1 person / 2 person loadouts

the power, weight, torque, and critically take off speed and run length are the key issues, and why I’d be keen to see lighter earlier war models...  

Please... no more training aircraft in Digital Combat Simulator. Training aircraft are needed in the real world for reasons which don’t exist in a game. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:25 AM, rkk01 said:

well, at face value... even more reason to have something like the T-6 Texan / Harvard??? 
(ie something to provide progression to the higher power, and especially higher torque models)

Finally someone mentions the SNJ.  Would obviously fill the OP's bill.

North American SNJ-4 (AT-6) | National Air and Space Museum (si.edu)

Anyone who has seen a WW2 movie from the ~1950's on will see SNJ's painted as Zeros.

Looks pretty good on screen except for the non-retractable tailwheel.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU