TACAN Distance Error?

SharpeXB

Something is wrong here

The HUD shows Kobuleti to be 59.3 miles away when it's only about 15

Track File here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h090mbb54jl4u81/AACaZt4m6q3c8Q-WyW1GBuSwa?dl=0

Screen_210116_111822.jpg

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Had the same problem during serpent’s head 2 campaign (the mission you rescue the chopper crew), just like you it seemed. 
flying to kobuleti the distance froze at 44 NM and the TACAN station on the HSI kept moving forward as I was flying towards it...

Guys, as rob10 says, it has already been reported some time ago.  For the moment, switch it off and on when that issue occurs.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yep happens to me fairly regular also, and I do the same switch off and back on usually resolves it.

Occasionally it does not and I have to clear it out and re-enter the data for it.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm confused where on an MP server I play on

the Tacan shows the heading for the tanker

but i get no range information

I've never seen that before

is there a setting in ME or something?

works fine for the carrier or any other tacan,

I just don't get range on tankers.

I am in transmit/receive mode also.

1 hour ago, johnmjones1975 said:

I'm confused where on an MP server I play on

the Tacan shows the heading for the tanker

but i get no range information

I've never seen that before

is there a setting in ME or something?

works fine for the carrier or any other tacan,

I just don't get range on tankers.

I am in transmit/receive mode also.

When setting a TACAN channel for an aircraft you need to be in A/A mode, not T/R. 

• 2 months later...

Have a look at this post, it might explain a thing or two.

Also:

Because the upper antenna filter is fixed, it filters A/A TACAN frequencies on channels 1-36 and 64-99 (X and Y). A/A TACAN channels should be chosen outside of these ranges.

The upper filter makes the top antenna unusable for T/R (Air to Ground) TACAN channels 1-29 X and Y, 47X to 63X and 64Y to 92Y. For TACAN channels in these ranges, the bottom antenna is the only antenna for TACAN. [This] causes reduced ranges for DME at channels within the range of the filter when flying directly away from the TACAN station.

The trick to know here is that when you set a TACAN channel, you’re actually setting two different frequencies: a transmit frequency specific to that channel and a receive frequency that’s 63 MHz higher. TACAN channels are spaced by 1 MHz between channels, so setting a radio to a channel 63 higher than the transmitting aircraft (77X in our example) will mean you’re tuned to that’s aircraft TACAN transmissions. This is why the transmitting aircraft should be a channel between 1 and 63, so the receivers can tune to 64-126. The channel selected needs to be the same X or Y, as these represent completely different frequency sets, and the same TACAN mode (A/A T/R) needs to be selected to enable range calculation.

Ie. Transmitter AA 38X – XMIT 1062 MHz, RCV 999 MHz; Receiver 101Y XMIT 1125MHz, RCV 1062MHz