Proper CF-18?

SpaceEnthusiast

Hi, I know that the Hornet version simulated in DCS isn't really meant for the CF-18, but it would be wonderful if some of the small modifications below could be added to properly resemble the CF-18

1. Night identification light. 

The CF-18 has a large light on the left side, right in front of the cockpit, fitted to the gun loading access hatch. I read somewhere that its purpose is to identify aircraft at nighttime intercepts.

p8ePkbp.jpg

qYiMuSo.jpg

2. ILS in the place of the ACLS

Makes sense because Canada doesn't have carriers (anymore at least, the Bonaventure was the last one but decommissioned in 1970). Might be especially useful in DCS for missions that don't involve the use of a carrier. I assume this would be the easiest change to implement.

3. LCD displays

As part of a modernization project, the left and right DDI's have LCD displays. In addition, from this image, I don't think the AMPCD is an AMPCD at all. Some of the buttons are also in different places.

4. Sniper XR

I'm pretty sure it's already being developed for the F-16 and I assume RAZBAM's F-15E, it would be nice to be able to use the Sniper XR on the Hornet. Canada chose to use it for the CF-18.

Sniper_XR_pod_mounted_on_Canadian_CF-188

Canada_Joins_the_Fight_Against_ISIL_1410

Operation_Inherent_Resolve_150304-F-MG59

5. Other small gauge and button differences.

Again from this photo, we can see that some switches are in different places, like the HDG and CRS switches. The IFEI also looks older, and there seems to be a knob in place of the "MODE" button.

Otherwise, the CF-188 and the F/A-18C are pretty much the same. They even kept the carrier equipment, so in theory CF-18's land on carriers but RCAF pilot aren't trained to land on them. With time, the CF-18 has gotten a JHMCS, Link 16, AN/APG-73 radar, and a ton of other upgrades making it much more of an F-18C rather than an F-18A.

I'm sure I, as well as other DCS players would really enjoy something like this, we'd be able to simulate the RCAF's entire fighter fleet for the foreseeable future 😉

ED I sincerely hope you consider this, thanks for all the work you've done already

• Like 2

Never noticed/knew about the ID light. Interesting. Could this be implemented as a mod I wonder?

For ILS there are mods to place ACLS on runways so from an operational point of view you can achieve it even if the technical details are different.

For the LCD screens there are mods to modernize the cockpit also - I haven't tried them yet.

The Sniper would be good. ED's tact has been only to model what was on the current in-game version of the Hornet and not deviate at all. As an example, in the past they have stated they will not do ILS on the Hornet (IIRC). Maybe this could be added as a mod a well.

For the rest I doubt ED would want to go down the rabbit hole of forking their code base and adding the inherent maintenance/support work load to add those changes for such a small audience.

Edited by reece146

2 hours ago, reece146 said:

Never noticed/knew about the ID light. Interesting. Could this be implemented as a mod I wonder?

For ILS there are mods to place ACLS on runways so from an operational point of view you can achieve it even if the technical details are different.

For the LCD screens there are mods to modernize the cockpit also - I haven't tried them yet.

The Sniper would be good. ED's tact has been only to model what was on the current in-game version of the Hornet and not deviate at all. As an example, in the past they have stated they will not do ILS on the Hornet (IIRC). Maybe this could be added as a mod a well.

For the rest I doubt ED would want to go down the rabbit hole of forking their code base and adding the inherent maintenance/support work load to add those changes for such a small audience.

Oh wow I didn't know about the ICLS mod, thanks. It would still be nice to have a proper ILS, at least to be able to choose it from the "Special" settings menu, but I guess it will do for now.

As for the LCD's, I've used the LCD mod and it works really well, but the AMPCD isn't really changed by it.

You're probably right about the small audience, I don't think there are many Canadians here 😞

31 minutes ago, SpaceEnthusiast said:

Are you referring the the Canadian Hornet or the Finnish and Swiss ones?

Specifically the Canadian ones, but it can probably apply to all of them. The CF-18s were very very early Buno FA-18As, so they forked out very early on. Maybe we could draw a comparison to the EF-18s that Spain use, look how different the software is on those.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

17 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Specifically the Canadian ones, but it can probably apply to all of them. The CF-18s were very very early Buno FA-18As, so they forked out very early on. Maybe we could draw a comparison to the EF-18s that Spain use, look how different the software is on those.

Ah right, at the very least it would be nice to have the option to equip some of this stuff, perhaps an option in the Special menu in settings for the LCD's and the same JHMCS/NVG mechanic except for the identification light/ground ILS.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:09 PM, Swiftwin9s said:

They went trought several update and most likely got "canadianized" as hell and have nothing to see with either the A nor the C version. And they will once again be...

"Among the upgrades included in this potential package: 50 Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II tactical missiles; 38 APG-79(V)4 active electronically scanned array radars; 38 APG-79(V)4 AESA radar A1 kits; 46 F/A-18A wide-band RADOMEs; upgrades to the Advanced Distributed Combat Training System; and technical assistance to support the upgraded jets."

https://www.defensenews.com/global/the-americas/2020/06/16/canadian-cf-18-upgrade-package-okd-by-us/

Edited by hotrod525

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 12:25 PM, SpaceEnthusiast said:

Again from this photo, we can see that some switches are in different places, like the HDG and CRS switches. The IFEI also looks older, and there seems to be a knob in place of the "MODE" button.

Just noticed this. That photo is OLD. 2004 thats pretty much pre-modernization. The newer cockpits have updated screens.

20120709-20120709-IMG_2245-Edit-1-3_290f

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

• 2 months later...

I have been wondering about these changes too, but thought I was pipe dreaming for us Canadians that like to hoop into our beloved hornet and fly it!!!  I was posted to CFB Cold Lake for a short four years, but enjoyed them immensely while there.  It would be nice to have CLAWR brought into DCS Maps, but answered and NOT happening (BUMMER).

Wayne

DCS CF-188 Pilot

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

• 3 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, Megalax said:

Just noticed this. That photo is OLD. 2004 thats pretty much pre-modernization. The newer cockpits have updated screens.

20120709-20120709-IMG_2245-Edit-1-3_290f

do you know if the updated screens are all black and white? sort of like a superhornet? or are the two side mfds still green? thanks

• 7 months later...