f16 aim 120 question

Viciam1

Hey guys, quick question.

With the Aim 120 HMCS what is the bore mode used for? With aim9x...I look at target, hear the sound, uncage and fire. Thats correct right?

What about aim 120? Do I need to put it in bore more or leave it in slave? Go to dog fight mode, lock target inside big egg circle and fire?

A bit confused here.

AIM 120's are a beyond visual range missile. You really don't want the bandit within, say, 7ish miles. You need to learn how to use the LAR to determine the max range, as the conditions you're in when you fire it changes the max range. That said, you can fire them at 50+ miles, if you're high and fast, and get kills occasionally. Firing early is a good way to get a bandit on the defensive. Bore mode is basically, you're not getting a lock on your opponent and you're just going to throw caution to the wind, launch it and hope it can find a target and not a friendly, because it can't distinguish the difference, so make sure you have situational awareness of where your buddies are. Slave mode is what you'll use 99% of the time. The missile uses the F16's radar to guide itself until it determines it can take over from there and go "pitbull", where it has a mind of its own at that point.

You're pretty right with the sidewinders, but it takes a lot of practice. It's really not a simple process. There's many radar modes, dogfight modes... These are your dogfighting/close combat missiles and they're heat seekers, not radar guided like the 120s. Shooting 9x's is like having a cheat code. I've seen them do some crazy acrobatics and still hit targets.

Edited by taco3rd

I explained bore for the 120 above. They work differently and use different radar modes. Because you're trying to lock a bandit from much farther away you use the FCR to lock up bandits. There's no bore sight mode on the HUD because your bandit could be tens of miles away. The bore mode for the 120 simply launches the missile without radar help from the F16. It's pitbull as soon as you launch it. Don't get radar modes confused. Learn the difference between CRM and ACM radar modes. Watch a video about fox 2 dogfighting and compare and contrast the two.

Edited by taco3rd

4 hours ago, taco3rd said:

Putting it simply, you don't use the HMCS for a 120. The HMCS works with aim 9Xs and is used for targets already within visual range in ACM radar mode. 

In Dogfight mode you can use the HMCS combined with the Aim 120 very well. You can radar lock with the helmet up to 10 miles, and fire off bore with 120's, well before you are in Aim 9 range.

Saying a sweeping statement like you don't use the HMCS for a 120, is not completely accurate at all, but obviously you won't be pulling off incredible off bore shots like with the Aim 9X.

Quick little vid I made a while back,

As to the OP, leave it in Slave when using the Helmet cuing system. Lock target with TMS up in the big circle and fire.

Bore setting is only to have it go pitbull of the rail and has very limited uses outside of a few specific cases and has no use with the HMCS.

Edited by fruitbat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2021 at 6:28 AM, Victory_1 said:

Hey guys, quick question.

With the Aim 120 HMCS what is the bore mode used for? With aim9x...I look at target, hear the sound, uncage and fire. Thats correct right?

What about aim 120? Do I need to put it in bore more or leave it in slave? Go to dog fight mode, lock target inside big egg circle and fire?

A bit confused here.

You just need an extra step, because we don't have any of the HOBS enhancements for the AIM-120 (Which I believe come after the 120 model that's in game anyway).

What this is means is that the HMCS will not directly command the AMRAAM's radar or pass information to it in any way in DCS - instead, you will use your HMCS to cue the radar onto a target, and your radar will cue the AIM-120, so you need to verify that your radar is tracking.

I hope that helps. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

On 1/16/2021 at 1:12 PM, taco3rd said:

AIM 120's are a beyond visual range missile. You really don't want the bandit within, say, 7ish miles.

Unless you're in a MP server, facing people who know how to defend missiles... in that case, 7nm is the sweetspot (below 20k, provided the bandit isn't cold).

Putting it simply, you don't use the HMCS for a 120. The HMCS works with aim 9Xs and is used for targets already within visual range in ACM radar mode. 

Boresight mode has a range of 20nm, HMCS in bore mode + amraams is a perfectly valid option, specially when the radar refuses to get a lock in CRM mode (which usually happens when the bandit is just outside WVR). 

Edited by Hardcard

On 1/17/2021 at 9:42 PM, Hardcard said:

20nm

99% sure its 10nm in DCS

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

On 1/21/2021 at 4:46 AM, dundun92 said:

99% sure its 10nm in DCS

Both the manual and Wags say it's 20nm.

"BORE is useful for quickly locking a target within visual range (WVR) and allows a degree fine control as to the target being locked. The first target detected within 20 nautical miles is locked and automatically tracked in STT mode."

"Maximum acquisition range is 10 nautical miles for all ACM submodes except Boresight, where acquisition out to 20 nautical miles is possible."

Now, I don't know if that applies to HMCS boresight as well, but I don't see why it shouldn't.