Recovery/Repair Blue Screen After New RAM install

Hi All,

I have 32GB(4x 8GB) of RAM and I recently decided to add more. So I installed 32GB(2x 16GB) of the same RAM type and removed 2x 8GB which totals ~ 48GB of RAM. After installation, I could not get my PC to boot up. The white LED(VGA boot) stayed on so I cleared CMOS and was able to get into BIOS. I applied my XMP II Overclock Profile for my i9 9900k, saved settings and restarted my machine, but I keep getting the error screen below. From that screen, I can get to BIOS and just exit out and my machine boots up successfully. However, every time I restart my machine or cold start, this blue screen shows and I can just repeat the process of going into the BIOS and exit.

So I decided to purchase 2 more 2x16(32GB) sticks to total ~64GB because I figured there was a conflict between the 16 & 8 sticks. So after installing the 2 new 2x16GB sticks, clearing the CMOS, and reapplying my XMP II Profile, the same issues occur. The blue screen shows, I enter BIOS, and exit BIOS to boot successfully. As a test, I reinstalled my previous 4x 8GB sticks, cleared CMOS, applied XMP II Profile and restarted successfully. I can keep restarting or cold starting multiple times without getting the blue screen. So I’m not sure if my machine just does not like this RAM or it just can’t handle being upgraded on top of this existing Windows install. I also thought my overclock profile was an issue so I set all my settings to default, but the blue screen still happened, but not on every restart/cold start.  I haven’t attempted a recovery/repair yet since files can get lost. I wanted that to be my last resort. Some assistance with this issue would VERY much be appreciated. Please let me know if more info is needed.

Latest Main Specs:
i9 9900k @5.1GHz
Asus Z390 E-Gaming
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Windows 10 Pro Build: 19042 (month old new install)

8mw4x9k4bkh39lu6g.jpg

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Did you check your system compatibility with the new RAM? Manufacturers doesn't always use the same chips from a batch to the other one for the same RAM kit, it is possible that the different chip causestyhe issue or two different chips does it too, if you procured 2 X !6 GB in two different kits instead of 1 single 2 X 16GB kit; see the quote below from Euro Tech about G.SKILL Trident Z Neo kits.

Even the same models of memory kit in different production period, there might have IC difference as we will be using different memory chips.

In general we do not recommend mixing two or more memory kits together, even if the same model number, may result in compatibility issue, such as unable to boot or unable to perform at rated speeds. Each of our memory kit is thoroughly tested for compatibility between modules within the memory kit before retail, so we guarantee each memory kit will operate to its rated specs on its own.

Check your new RAM chip serial numbers, everntually, try them separately...

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Start all over and remove the 8GB sticks. Insert ONE of the new kits ONLY in the outlined slots ( 2 and 4 ) and see if that will boot at 2133MHz or 2666MHz. If they do not boot at those speeds then you are out of luck. If they boot, use them for a day or two and see if they BSOD at standard speeds and Volts.

Then do the same with the 2nd new kit, remove the 1st one and plug second kit in, proceed as above, do not use XMP yet.

If both kits work on their own, try each kit again separatly, apply XMP and see if that works. You can up the Volts to 1.40v if needed, I would try with 1.375v first and see if that helps them to fire up. If you manage to get that kit working, do some test bench runs and see if it is stable. If yes, take that kit out and test kit #2 the same way. If they do work as well, then insert all 4 of them, up the Volts if needed (often needed with 4 modules ) and see if they boot. You may change the slots ( kit#1 = slot 2+4 & kit#2 = slot 1+3 ) between the kits but DO NOT mix the kits themselves. Do not apply XMP right away when you boot the 2 kits, stay at 2133/2666 and 1.20v + a little more, say 1.25v if needed. If they boot and keep stable, try XMP and up the volts again if needed to post in Bios.

If all fails, return the 2 kits and buy a new kit of 4 modules, best if listed in the QVL.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thank you both for your replies. I feel stupid because I noticed this difference before, but did not think much of it. My original 8GB sticks have serial number CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 which can be found on the QVL for this specific mobo, however, the 16GB sticks' serial number is CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 which I just realized is not on the QVL. So I will be returning these 16GB sticks to Microcenter near me and I just purchased the correct 16GB sticks, CMK32GX4M2B3200C16, directly from Corsair. Not saying this will fix my issue, but I at least want the correct parts before wasting people's time. I'll keep this post updated once the new RAM is installed.

Thank again.

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

2 hours ago, pimp said:

Thank you both for your replies. I feel stupid because I noticed this difference before, but did not think much of it. My original 8GB sticks have serial number CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 which can be found on the QVL for this specific mobo, however, the 16GB sticks' serial number is CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 which I just realized is not on the QVL. So I will be returning these 16GB sticks to Microcenter near me and I just purchased the correct 16GB sticks, CMK32GX4M2B3200C16, directly from Corsair. Not saying this will fix my issue, but I at least want the correct parts before wasting people's time. I'll keep this post updated once the new RAM is installed.

Thank again.

LOL! You don't want ot know how many HD I've burned before putting dots together.

We all learn some way not always the easy way, and what I said to you I didn't know it with such precision before I asked support for those RAM sticks, so no reason for you to feel bad, let's hope it will solve your issue...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Hi All,

So I received the M2B version of 4x 16GB sticks. I installed one kit, cleared CMOS, entered BIOS, and exited BIOS. No XMP profiles were loaded. Everything was set to defaults(Auto) with memory speed of 2133MHz. The PC booted to Windows successfully. However, when I restarted, I received the blue screen in my original post. When I "Press Enter to try again", I received the screen below: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors: winload.efi. These are the same issues I was having before. Again, if I choose to "Press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings"(BIOS), I can enter BIOS and just exit out and the PC boots to Windows. I've checked for that winload file and it does exist. I can't even start Windows in Safe Mode. I get these blue screens. It seems like if the RAM my Windows install was built on is not the only RAM in my machine then Windows has some issue. Any and all ideas on a solution is welcomed. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks in advance!!!

01mf327x05knn996g.jpg

Just now, reece146 said:

How are you resetting the bios? Menu in the bios or jumper on the mobo?

If you haven't tried it then clear via the jumper method.

Also, running latest bios? No OC, right?

Resetting bios via mobo. The latest bios version is installed.

To exclude Windows being the root cause for those BSOD's and failed booting attempts, obtain a bootable Linux on a USB or even CD/DVD ( slower than USB ) and see if that OS will fire up and behave normally. If it does, it is likely a UEFI-Security/non-CSM thing prohibiting your Windows to boot properly. 

If Linux does work normally, use it to save your data from your drives ( documents, pics, videos, etc etc ) to a Fat32 formatted drive ( exFAT will not work in Linux ! ) or send it via LAN to another NTFS drive on a proper Windows machine.

THEN, reinstall your Windows with your Bios being reset first and make sure your Bios is set to UEFI ( secure boot ) and not to CSM before you install.

The reason for UEFI and not CSM is that once Nvidia will allow SAM ( as AMD has done with their GPUs ) you will likely also need to have Windows in UEFI mode, CSM would not allow you to use that feature.

Before you install Windows, my advice is to use Linux on USB thoroughly to test your new RAM config. There are certain things you can do to test your RAM with Linux, Google has a nice set of tools that you can use. I recommend Ubuntu or Mint ( derivat of Ubuntu ).

here is a link telling you how Google's stress test app works:  https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?73665-Our-preferred-memory-stress-test 

edit:

If you are new to Linux and don't want to ruin things by mistake, DISCONNECT your drives from 12V before booting Linux. Then test the rig thoroughly and once you feel safe to handle it, shut it down, connect the drives again, boot back to USB-Linux, rescue your data if needed and then reinstall your Win10 with UEFI.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

So I said F it and performed a new Windows install with the new memory. After a successful installation, I restarted my machine and the exact same issue happened, BSOD. Is there some kind of incompatibility with the memory and my mobo? I am so pissed. I guess I'll just have to return this memory and continue to use my original 32GBs. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by pimp

8 hours ago, pimp said:

So I said F it and performed a new Windows install with the new memory. After a successful installation, I restarted my machine and the exact same issue happened, BSOD. Is there some kind of incompatibility with the memory and my mobo? I am so pissed. I guess I'll just have to return this memory and continue to use my original 32GBs. Any help would be appreciated.

Try to figure out which RAM is compatible with your combo, BOTH motherboard and CPU, using this link night help.

https://pangoly.com/en/review/msi-b450-gaming-plus-max/compatibility/ram

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update this thread. I got this working now. I just removed the other M.2 drive and inserted my new drive into M.2_2 slot and installed windows again. It's been a week so far so good.👍🏾

Ahhh, it originated from somewhere else, not the RAM......ahhhhh 

Glad you have found it !