Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I hate complaining but this whole F-14 not being calibrated to the IFLOLs is getting old. Crosschecking feels like a battle! I love the F-14 and the SC but man, this along with the IFLOLS overlay are just off putting. I hope that there is a fix soon! 

 

  • Like 9

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about to buy the tomcat and saw this. What is the problem exactly?

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Joni said:

I was about to buy the tomcat and saw this. What is the problem exactly?

It is an amazing plane to fly. I'm not taking anything away from the Tomcat at all. But the SC and the Tomcat are not on the same page so to speak. The LSO will call you slow even when you are fast, the Lens is set for a Hornet, not a Tomcat. And the Flight Deck Directors are also giving you Hornet signals.

IMHO, you should get the Tomcat if you really want to. She's my #1. The feeling is much more immersive to me in the F-14. It's just something about her.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jackjack171 said:

It is an amazing plane to fly. I'm not taking anything away from the Tomcat at all. But the SC and the Tomcat are not on the same page so to speak. The LSO will call you slow even when you are fast, the Lens is set for a Hornet, not a Tomcat. And the Flight Deck Directors are also giving you Hornet signals.

IMHO, you should get the Tomcat if you really want to. She's my #1. The feeling is much more immersive to me in the F-14. It's just something about her.

 

I mainly do naval ops so, I'd rather pass for now. Thanks for letting me know.

 

 

Regards.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is only a minor distraction and doesn't detract anything from the F-14. Just make sure to be on AoA despite what the LSO is saying, keep the ball high (as in upper half of the IFLOS) and use the F-14 built-in trap sheet instead of the LSO quotation.

The F-14 is by far the most immersive module in the game. If you want to go for it, do not be stopped by the minor SC flaws.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cocker said:

This is only a minor distraction and doesn't detract anything from the F-14. Just make sure to be on AoA despite what the LSO is saying, keep the ball high (as in upper half of the IFLOS) and use the F-14 built-in trap sheet instead of the LSO quotation.

The F-14 is by far the most immersive module in the game. If you want to go for it, do not be stopped by the minor SC flaws.

 

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, landing that way kills immersion IMHO. You reach a certain age where immersion is all you got. When the sim kills it due to something I just get very discouraged. 

  • Like 1

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joni said:

 

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, landing that way kills immersion IMHO. You reach a certain age where immersion is all you got. When the sim kills it due to something I just get very discouraged. 

 

Doesn't kill immersion if you get rid of the IFLOS overlay and use your eyeball to spot the IFLOS on the deck, which shows correct line 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cocker said:

 

Doesn't kill immersion if you get rid of the IFLOS overlay and use your eyeball to spot the IFLOS on the deck, which shows correct line 🙂

 

Oh, ok, so the issue was with the overlay? I thought it was with the carrier lights.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joni said:

 

Oh, ok, so the issue was with the overlay? I thought it was with the carrier lights.

 

No, the IFLOS overlay is the issue. Honestly, you wouldn't want missing out the most immersive module just for that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The IFLOLS should be universal.  Both the Hornet and the Tomcat use the same glideslope.  The meatball is a fixed light array with a Fresnel lens, it doesn't actually move with the aircraft, it just appears to move because of the distortion of the lens.  They don't re-calibrate the lens between traps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, without being technical, and because I'm only on my first cup of coffee, I will say, regardless of whether they follow the same glideslope, the hook-eye distance is different, and the IFLOLS will not be the same between aircraft types.  Trapping an E-2 isn't going to be the same as trapping an F/A-18, trapping an F/A-18 isn't going to be the same as trapping an F-14.  IFLOLS aboard ship (vs land based for FCLP) are indeed adjusted for both aircraft types and landing weights.

  • Like 5

Sorry, no cool signature here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2021 at 5:35 AM, MurderOne said:

So, without being technical, and because I'm only on my first cup of coffee, I will say, regardless of whether they follow the same glideslope, the hook-eye distance is different, and the IFLOLS will not be the same between aircraft types.  Trapping an E-2 isn't going to be the same as trapping an F/A-18, trapping an F/A-18 isn't going to be the same as trapping an F-14.  IFLOLS aboard ship (vs land based for FCLP) are indeed adjusted for both aircraft types and landing weights.

Correct, maybe. In the Tower, one of the calls when an aircraft is about to trap is, "Gear"(weight set on arresting gear), "Lens" (IFLOLS) "set Rhino" or Hornet, etc. Now, I know that the Lens is set for a certain glideslope but what I do not know for certain is if it is for a certain aircraft. I would guess no because I've watched FCLP's at an airfield and different aircraft all used the same lens. 

Just my 2 cents.

  • Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct; the IFLOLS used for FCLP is non-adjustable, where the shipboard IFLOLS is adjustable.  "Once set up and calibrated, there are no moving parts to the unit. Shipboard units are much more complicated as they must be gyroscopically stabilised to compensate for ship movement. Additionally, shipboard units are mechanically moved (the "roll angle") to adjust the touchdown point of each aircraft. With this adjustment, the tailhook touchdown point can be precisely targeted based on the tailhook-to-pilot's eye distance for each aircraft type."

Sorry, no cool signature here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MurderOne said:

Correct; the IFLOLS used for FCLP is non-adjustable, where the shipboard IFLOLS is adjustable.  "Once set up and calibrated, there are no moving parts to the unit. Shipboard units are much more complicated as they must be gyroscopically stabilised to compensate for ship movement. Additionally, shipboard units are mechanically moved (the "roll angle") to adjust the touchdown point of each aircraft. With this adjustment, the tailhook touchdown point can be precisely targeted based on the tailhook-to-pilot's eye distance for each aircraft type."

You are correct. The "gear, lens set" call is for that. They all fly the same degree of glideslope depending on the weather and other factors. I had to ask an old IC buddy. I hope we get this in DCS someday.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, MurderOne said:

Correct; the IFLOLS used for FCLP is non-adjustable, where the shipboard IFLOLS is adjustable.  "Once set up and calibrated, there are no moving parts to the unit. Shipboard units are much more complicated as they must be gyroscopically stabilised to compensate for ship movement. Additionally, shipboard units are mechanically moved (the "roll angle") to adjust the touchdown point of each aircraft. With this adjustment, the tailhook touchdown point can be precisely targeted based on the tailhook-to-pilot's eye distance for each aircraft type."

 

Nice stuff!

 

I knew about the gyro stabilization thing as I reported many times to ED that the stennis was simulating it but the supercarrier wasn't, so the SC doesn't have the torsion bar simulated and will follow the ship movement.

 

But I though that the adjustments based on AC type were simulated.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind as well that the F-14 is a third party module from Heatblur whereas Supercarrier AND the Hornet are made by ED.  So of course everything works for and is geared to the Hornet such as deck signals (which is not that different at all from Tomcats actually, ok, maybe spreading wings).  Heatblur is at the mercy of whatever ED deems to be the end all be all of carrier ops in Supercarrier, even if the F-14 is one of the most popular, immersive, and realistic modules available.  Heatblur has said many times how they want to do things in a certain way to make it accurate in the Tomcat but can't because ED's standards won't allow it.  There was a time just before Supercarrier came out when the Tomcat almost didn't make it onto Supercarrier for the reason that they had to adhere to ED's standards.  How long did it take, for instance, to finally get the AOA indexer to be bright enough in the Tomcat?  It was fine out of the box then ED did something that made it dim and HB couldn't do anything about it because it was a change to DCS World that thery were at the mercy of.  Then finally things changed only recently where they were able to get it bright again because a DCS thing had changed to allow it.  They are dealing with that with other things too such as the mach cone, the Phoenix behavior, and to an extent the jammer to cite some of many examples that they are at ED's mercy to do anything about.

 

This I'm sure includes the IFLOLS.

 

And let's face it, Supercarrier is by no means complete and is currently in an state of abandonment.  The working LSO station, though in the manual is not working (for instance where is the mouse cursor control to manipulate the fullscreen LSO screen that doesn't even exist though it's in the manual) and I am yet to get a hangar view as in the manual without having to resort to a CTRL-F11 flythrough. 

 

The stuff they do have working is pretty incredible though and we should be at least a little happy with it (compared to the Stennis ghost ship).  Now I admit that the LSO calls leave something to be desired and the IFLOLS placement is kinda bad (not to mention oh yes you can move it with the mouse, but who has time to fiddle with the mouse when you are seconds away from the rounddown?) but it still is better than what we did have.  Some of us can't even see the ball well enough without the pop up IFLOLS because of rendering or monitor characteristics--it's just the way that DCS is.  Before you say, well, you need a better monitor, FSX of all places has AI Carriers as an addon along with Virtual LSO where you can see the ball just fine without a popup and it is functional as well as the LSO calls being accurate.  You even get a trap history with your recencly qualifications tracked.  So it's possible to do may things it's just when can ED get the time to do it and/or do it right?

 

I guess I'm just saying let's not fault HB for soemthing they can't do because of imposed limitations from ED.  They are by no means intentional, but it's not HB's fault and it shouldn't deter anyone from getting the Tomcat which is pretty well received by just about everyone who has tried or has it.

 

 

v6,

boNes

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 10:13 AM, Joni said:

 

I mainly do naval ops so, I'd rather pass for now. Thanks for letting me know.

 

 

Regards.

 

You should do it. Tomcat is my favorite plane in the game and it works great with Supercarrier. It's not perfect, no.  The LSO thing is more of a quirk.  You can and should still be able to chase that perfect 3 wire and the only hand signal that's not right is the kneeling. They added the correct wing spread procedure and no longer asks to raise the launch bar.  

Specs & Wishlist:

 

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus Xi Hero, 32GB G.Skill Trident 3200, Asus RoG Strix 2070 OC, 1TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

 

Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Uxi said:

 

You should do it. Tomcat is my favorite plane in the game and it works great with Supercarrier. It's not perfect, no.  The LSO thing is more of a quirk.  You can and should still be able to chase that perfect 3 wire and the only hand signal that's not right is the kneeling. They added the correct wing spread procedure and no longer asks to raise the launch bar.  

 

Except for the A, this still hadn't been fixed yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW, the lens uses roll angle to set the GS location for the proper hook to ramp clearance for the aircraft on approach. It is valid on centerline only, so yes, it is different for aircraft with different hook to eye values.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Again, it's a sim and a constant WIP. @Joni I wouldn't let this deter you from purchasing a module, especially one with such a fantastic amount of detail, time and PFM put into it. If you can wrap your head around flying AOA, stay on speed and fly the ball (whatever it's referenced to as @Victory205 has pointed out) on centerline down to the deck you're probably going to trap. The overlay calibration is a small price of "unrealism" to pay for an otherwise fantastic and unparalleled experience.


Edited by cochise
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 12:46 AM, Jackjack171 said:

I hate complaining but this whole F-14 not being calibrated to the IFLOLs is getting old. Crosschecking feels like a battle! I love the F-14 and the SC but man, this along with the IFLOLS overlay are just off putting. I hope that there is a fix soon! 

 

 

On 4/2/2021 at 4:51 PM, NineLine said:

If this is still an issue, can someone give me a track please?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...