*&^%ing Awesomeness!!

Neutrino

After dipping my toe in the DCS world a few times over the years, but ending up bouncing between it and other things, I finally decided I wanted one of the premium modules, and after another couple of months I decided which one I wanted and got the Hornet, and in the three weeks I've had it I've mostly been familiarizing myself with the systems and practising basic airmanship.

Earlier tonight I'd finished some night flying practise in the Caususes, winter, 23:00, fine weather. After half an hour of circuits and bumps I taxed to the parking stand and shutdown. As the engine whine faded and the canopy opened I heard an owl and thought, is that in game or outside, (it was in game). Then I looked at the sky and noticed the stars were twinkling and I saw the headlights of a few cars (probably locals coming back from the pub). As I sat there listening to the breeze sighing in the trees I remembered all the hours I spent playing F16 Combat Pilot on my Amiga (which had a great dynamic campaign btw), and the thought occurred to me that in all the years since then I haven't got much of what I wanted, but God damn I've certainly got the flight sim that I always dreamed of.

Thanks ED, this game is bloody fantastic.

P.S. I'll still probably bitch about the odd thing that irritates me from time to time.

• Like 19

I started reading your post and thought, "I wonder if he got the Hornet?"   🤪

Glad you like it, the Hornet is one of the best modules in DCS simply because it's good for both roles and it's very well-rounded (although it's still incomplete, but they're working on it.)

Anyway, since you're digging the F/A-18C, if you're wondering what module to get next, I can heartily recommend the A-10C II. Don't get the original A-10C module, make sure it's the II version. It's pretty kickass as well 🤘

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

9 hours ago, Neutrino said:

After dipping my toe in the DCS world a few times over the years, but ending up bouncing between it and other things, I finally decided I wanted one of the premium modules, and after another couple of months I decided which one I wanted and got the Hornet, and in the three weeks I've had it I've mostly been familiarizing myself with the systems and practising basic airmanship.

Earlier tonight I'd finished some night flying practise in the Caususes, winter, 23:00, fine weather. After half an hour of circuits and bumps I taxed to the parking stand and shutdown. As the engine whine faded and the canopy opened I heard an owl and thought, is that in game or outside, (it was in game). Then I looked at the sky and noticed the stars were twinkling and I saw the headlights of a few cars (probably locals coming back from the pub). As I sat there listening to the breeze sighing in the trees I remembered all the hours I spent playing F16 Combat Pilot on my Amiga (which had a great dynamic campaign btw), and the thought occurred to me that in all the years since then I haven't got much of what I wanted, but God damn I've certainly got the flight sim that I always dreamed of.

Thanks ED, this game is bloody fantastic.

P.S. I'll still probably bitch about the odd thing that irritates me from time to time.

Concur.  Nothing better after a tough sortie than sitting on the apron with the canopy open, listening to the engine and gyros spin down and letting the drama of the past couple of hours sink in.  

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:31 AM, Lace said:

Concur.  Nothing better after a tough sortie than sitting on the apron with the canopy open, listening to the engine and gyros spin down and letting the drama of the past couple of hours sink in.  

I've recently set up VR for DCS and after my last flight did just that  sat there with the canopy open just listening and running though my flight......can almost feel the fresh air on your face. 

Amazing experience 

On 1/15/2021 at 4:16 PM, Neutrino said:

God damn I've certainly got the flight sim that I always dreamed of.

You should further treat yourself and get the Super Carrier module when you can.  I absolutely love bringing my Hornet to life on busy deck and then being directed by the aircraft handlers at the catapult.  Then of course there is the catapult launch.  🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, enigma6584 said:

You should further treat yourself and get the Super Carrier module when you can.  I absolutely love bringing my Hornet to life on busy deck and then being directed by the aircraft handlers at the catapult.  Then of course there is the catapult launch.  🙂

Once I've mastered the Stennis I'll definitely be getting the Super Carrier but I'm struggling a bit. I have a T16000M joystick and the throttle has about 2/3 of an inch of travel and is so oversensitive as to be almost useless for carrier landings, but as a lefty I don't have many stick and throttle options. Might have to try using the keyboard for throttle control or coming in with the airbrake out.

19 hours ago, Neutrino said:

but as a lefty I don't have many stick and throttle options. 

Just use a conventional setup.  They don't reconfigure aircraft for left/right handed pilots.  I fly aircraft with left throttle/right stick, right throttle/centre stick and right throttle/centre yoke IRL, and left throttle/right stick in DCS and right throttle/centre stick in X-plane.  It's not that hard, you will adapt with a bit of practice.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:16 AM, Lace said:

Just use a conventional setup.  They don't reconfigure aircraft for left/right handed pilots.  I fly aircraft with left throttle/right stick, right throttle/centre stick and right throttle/centre yoke IRL, and left throttle/right stick in DCS and right throttle/centre stick in X-plane.  It's not that hard, you will adapt with a bit of practice.

I think that's what I'm going to do but I'll need a 10 keyless keyboard to have room for the joystick on the right and a left-handed mouse for the left hand side, and then I'll have to swap everything around depending which game I'm playing. It's an annoying amount of trouble to have to go to just because there isn't an ambidextrious joystick with a decent throttle control though.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:16 PM, Neutrino said:

this game is bloody fantastic

You, Sir, are bloody right! 🙂
I had like 2 hours in the Huey (my first DCS module and first chopper ever) and mindlessly jumped into "UN Pilot" campaign. I could hardly fly, so I failed time and again, had to go practice, then return and attempt a mission again, then after each successful mission, once I shut Huey down, I would press F2 and look at the rotor as it was spooling down until it completely stopped - the reward for the hard work 🙂

P.S. Okay, okay... I'm still doing it - watching the rotor spooling down or waiting until the engine on a jet stops, but don't tell anyone.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

On 1/23/2021 at 9:16 AM, Lace said:

I have to second that. I'm fully left handed, left eye dominance, left footed etc. Still no issues using right hand joy and left hand throttle. Ontop, if you can spare the cash for a good setup (Thrustmaster Warthog as a minimum but think VKB or VIRPIL) you'll get used to it, if anything because you will want to commit on the investment (and the hardware is well worth it, if you are a "frequent flyer").