End of support Windows 7

fil72

2 hours ago, jackmckay said:

Same machine, W7/W10, W7 runs faster, everyone knows it.

Everyone know it? ... Windows 10 has bloatware and spyware kindness of Microsoft, but that can be removed and then both OS are very close in performance:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Just now, drPhibes said:

It was basically "Hey, tablets are cool, right? Let's make a hopeless tablet OS for PCs!"

Luckily, they came to their senses before making Win 10.

Ew. That sounds like a winner, alright. I just recall they absented the "start" button in 8, didn't they?

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

1 minute ago, drPhibes said:

It was basically "Hey, tablets are cool, right? Let's make a hopeless tablet OS for PCs!"

Luckily, they came to their senses before making Win 10.

Actually, Windows 10 works on tablets too, just the same way as Windows 8. The problem is that many tablets that came with Windows 8 in ROM, can't be upgraded to Windows 10.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

My guessing is that DCS 2.7.0 will utilise features such as WDDM2.7 or greater and graphics features that just aren't available on the now very aged Windows 7 platform, you only have to look at the newer graphics that have been previewed lately to see this.

Windows 7 was EOL on January 14th 2020. As with all vendors, supporting unsupported software is a pain in the backside for all sorts of reasons. Move on.....

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I use Windows 10 with no issues.  Dcs seems to run as good as anyone else I have seen with a similar setup. It’s a bit late to draw the privacy line if that’s what your after. Every word you speak on a phone, every word you type in an email, every web page you visit you are being listed to. Hell here in the US, there are now cameras every 5 miles on the interstate system capturing your every movement, at least here in Michigan. They have license plate scanners mounted on overpasses scanning your plate when you go past. (Look up Integral blue) 
Orwellian is nothing compared to where we have landed. Sucks but hey, c’mon in, gates are now open... 
Now 5G phones, THAT is something I will never use. Spread freakin COVID all over the planet, whats next???? 🙄

Edited by Mr. Big.Biggs

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I use Windows 10 with no issues.  Dcs seems to run as good as anyone else I have seen with a similar setup. It’s a bit late to draw the privacy line if that’s what your after. Every word you speak on a phone, every word you type in an email, every web page you visit you are being listed to. Hell here in the US, there are now cameras every 5 miles on the interstate system capturing your every movement, at least here in Michigan. They have license plate scanners mounted on overpasses scanning your plate when you go past. (Look up Integral blue) 
Orwellian is nothing compared to where we have landed. Sucks but hey, c’mon in, gates are now open... 
Now 5G phones, THAT is something I will never use. Spread freakin COVID all over the planet, whats next????

And if you use social media (I'm looking at you Facebook) then any inherent privacy concerns in W10 are the least of your worries!

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

3 hours ago, drPhibes said:

What about 8?

*shudders*

We don't say that name here.

It's hard to say if Biggs is being facetious or if he's... ya know. One of them.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

On 1/15/2021 at 11:49 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I'm amazed at what little it takes to push some people away from DCS .. 🤔

Well, some simply want to stay on Stable branch and not switch over to Open Alpha. I switched very late as well, like a year ago, when Oculus did the same and forced the step up to Win 10. And I can understand anyone who doesn't since I still have a massive plethora of issues that I never had pre 10. This OS is ridiculous. OTOH, Microsoft dropped support for 7 a year ago as well, so it's better to take a bite off that sour apple anyway. The issues I experience ain't biggies, but I really wonder why they have to be there and not get fixed. Well, it's Open Alpha. And that will never change.

What I really do wonder is if DCS suddenly will stop working on 7 or if it just will be the case that it might get issues that ED won't help with getting rid of when these are related to the OS. I mean, I still run software that wasn't even supported on Vista anymore - on 10. (Creative Labs: Allow me to introduce myself!)

4 hours ago, Concentric Arc said:

Do you remember when Win7 came out and everyone was bitching about how crappy it was. You can still find hundreds of posts like "20 Reasons why Windows 7 sucks" HAHA I just find it interesting, every single time Microsoft releases a new Operating system you can find the same posts. If you type Win7 and bloatware into a search engine you will get 1.5Million hits...Same arguments every single Windows upgrade. We should all be used to it by now.

Acktchyually, that never happened. You're talking about Vista. When Win 7 arrived, it was the Holy Grail™ to many and people couldn't wait to install it ASAP, finally being able to replace their beloved XPSP2 (I hardly know anyone who actually used SP3 for some weird reason). In the end, when Win 7 was new, Vista actually was better, but was soon left behind. BTW I still miss the tighter icon spacing in the tray... and I still don't use that "Super Bar", because it's crap rdlaugh.png

4 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

There's a reason for that, most Windows OS's are completely garbage at launch. The only one I recall staying actual garbage was Millennium Edition.

That's basically the essence here. Just add in the fact that Win 10 literally re-launches twice a year, with inevitably forced updates, and another ton of bugs and issues that take the next "feature update" to get fixed - maybe.

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

31 minutes ago, Eldur said:

Acktchyually, that never happened.

Type Windows 7 Bloatware into your browser and look at the 1.5 million hits lol. Or windows 7 problems or whatever. Look at all the old forum posts. My point is that every single time a new version of Windows is released its the exact same comments. Have you not seen that before. Or is this your first Windows upgrade? And do you not kind of find it humorous? Type in Windows XP sucks I want my old windows version. Same for Vista. It's the same for every new release. That is why I am Chuckling...

Edited by Concentric Arc
  • Like 1

Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Master MB, Gigabyte RTX2080S, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3600Mhz, Corsair MP600 2TB M.2, Corsair MP510 1Tb M.2, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case.

I do remember that from Win XP especially with that online activations. That was like giving Holy Water to the Devil. Those reactions were much less, or at least way less visible with Win 7 however. Of course, they have been there as well.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

12 hours ago, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

Now 5G phones, THAT is something I will never use. Spread freakin COVID all over the planet, whats next???? 🙄

What has 5G got to do with COVID ? I thought one was a digital network and the other a biological virus, am I missing something ? 

Not sure who's being serious about what, but no, there's no link between 5G and COVID. There are unfortunately some dishonest people, and some others who are easily fooled, who keep banging on about conspiracies that don't exist.

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

1 hour ago, Mizzy said:

What has 5G got to do with COVID ? I thought one was a digital network and the other a biological virus, am I missing something ? 

Jesus, seriously? NO

Edited by Mr. Big.Biggs

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

1 hour ago, Hegemon12 said:

ED, should finish all current "Early access" modules for Windows 7 users, these people spend full amount for these products.

Sell early access product ED should take responsible for delivery final product for all buyers.

They're gonna deliver products. It's not their responsibility to maintain your 11 year old operating system. That's your job.

On top of which, it's just simply not gonna happen. As they overhaul the engine and add basic mechanics the interoperability with previous versions will go down.

Worse case scenario, people can do the same thing we've always done when faced with a ''need for multiple ooerating systems'' : dual booting and/or separate boot drives. It would take about an hour (maybe less) to set up a second OS for DCS and other W10 requiring software while still keeping your old system, then you get to have your cake and eat it, too.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• ED Team
On 1/15/2021 at 9:49 PM, fil72 said:

This is very bad. I am disappointed. I will never use W10.

I spent $465 for DCS.

Good bye, DCS.

Sorry you feel this way, the fact is windows 7 is a dead operating system and it is holding back features and improvements for DCS world. Even microsoft no longer support it with their own software.

We will be making the next 2.5.6 update the last one to support windows 7, it is planned for the 27th of January, we will also be making sure this version is available after we go to version 2.7 so it will still be possible to fly in DCS on windows 7, just not in future patches. 

thank you

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Dear drPhibes,

ED should delivery final product for people who buy "Early access" module with the Minimum system requirements in purchase moment.

"Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation."

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

What about if next month ED say, just Verpil HOTAS user will be access to new updates, controllers other companies will be not support, you think that politics is OK?

• Like 2

Dear drPhibes,

ED should delivery final product for people who buy "Early access" module with the Minimum system requirements in purchase moment.
"Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation."

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

What about if next month ED say, just Verpil HOTAS user will be access to new updates, controllers other companies will be not support, you think that politics is OK?

That's not the same though is it. That's vendor hardware NOT unsupported software that inhibits further development of the platform, not to mention that running an unsupported version of any software (especially an OS) is a very bad idea from a security perspective amongst others.
  • Like 1