Windows 7 Experience Post Support

Horns

Glad to see ED giving plenty of notice about the end of Windows 7 support. I would like to know about what these people can expect once official support does end. Is it just that users will have to troubleshoot their own installs and refunds will not be payable for paid content that doesn't work properly, or should they anticipate the game not running properly in the near future? If problems running the game can be expected, are they likely to be game-breaking, and is there anything users can do to mitigate these issues (eg turning down particular settings)?

I'm on Windows 10 so I'm not too stressed either way, but I figure someone will come looking for this information at some point...

Cheers

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

22 minutes ago, Horns said:

Glad to see ED giving plenty of notice about the end of Windows 7 support. I would like to know about what these people can expect once official support does end. Is it just that users will have to troubleshoot their own installs and refunds will not be payable for paid content that doesn't work properly, or should they anticipate the game not running properly in the near future? If problems running the game can be expected, are they likely to be game-breaking, and is there anything users can do to mitigate these issues (eg turning down particular settings)?

I'm on Windows 10 so I'm not too stressed either way, but I figure someone will come looking for this information at some point...

Cheers

That situations has not new. W7 on January 14, 2020 get without suport by Windows (in fact, a dead operation system), and the same situation get when ED turn to 64 byts only system some years ago..

ED should update soon the stated requirements of this Sim, as it currently says that Windows 7 is OK for a minimal setup:

"Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10;"

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The most important issue that people still on Windows 7 will face is no more security patches.  Any vulnerabilities in the operating system (and we know there are many) will stay unpatched, and will make everyone still on Windows 7 vulnerable to attacks.

People should do themselves a favor and upgrade to a supported version.

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack

20 minutes ago, TeamMaximus said:

The most important issue that people still on Windows 7 will face is no more security patches.  Any vulnerabilities in the operating system (and we know there are many) will stay unpatched, and will make everyone still on Windows 7 vulnerable to attacks.

People should do themselves a favor and upgrade to a supported version.

There is high risk need if you use only trusted software, files and sites. And you use up to date web browser, firewall and all that.

If the PC is just for the DCS as dedicated sim chair etc, then there is nothing risky to use Windows 7.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, Horns said:

I would like to know about what these people can expect once official support does end. Is it just that users will have to troubleshoot their own installs and refunds will not be payable for paid content that doesn't work properly, or should they anticipate the game not running properly in the near future?

Quote from Graphics post:

- Please be aware that Windows 7 will no longer be supported as of the release of DCS World 2.7

- Users who do not want not to change their operating system can still enjoy DCS World 2.5.6. However, new updates will not be available.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

12 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Quote from Graphics post:

- Please be aware that Windows 7 will no longer be supported as of the release of DCS World 2.7

- Users who do not want not to change their operating system can still enjoy DCS World 2.5.6. However, new updates will not be available.

You know, I read that news three times and managed to miss that second point. Much appreciated, sorry for wasting everyone’s time

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 9:04 AM, Horns said:

You know, I read that news three times and managed to miss that second point. Much appreciated, sorry for wasting everyone’s time

However ..

The early access module that we all purchased in good faith, that stated WINDOWS 7 compatibility will never be enjoyed in a finished state by Windows 7 users...

And that sucks that they moved the goal posts....

Its almost like buying an old house in the woods only to find that the building code changed and you now have to remove your old house and buy a new house just so you can continue watching the woods mature.

10 minutes ago, Northstar said:

Its almost like buying an old house in the woods only to find that the building code changed and you now have to remove your old house and buy a new house just so you can continue watching the woods mature.

Yes, almost. Remember: that brand new house was offered to you for free for a whole year, but you didn't take it.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Yes, almost. Remember: that brand new house was offered to you for free for a whole year, but you didn't take it.

Everyone should have at least upgraded to Windows 10 and then uninstalled it and keep using Win7, just for so that in future you can upgrade if needed.

18 hours ago, Fri13 said:

Everyone should have at least upgraded to Windows 10 and then uninstalled it and keep using Win7, just for so that in future you can upgrade if needed.

20 hours ago, Flappie said:

I tried.... Couldnt install it without is giving a BSoD... Because it BSoD during install it also trashed my Win7 install.

It also BSoD on a clean install.

It would install if I disabled both my onboard sound and network cards in the BIOS,, But then it sulked because it couldnt call home.

When I enabled either the sound or the network... It gave a BSoD during booting

Please note... The only reason why Bloatware 10 is so popular is... THEY HAD TO GIVE IT AWAY

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northstar said:

I tried.... Couldnt install it without is giving a BSoD... Because it BSoD during install it also trashed my Win7 install.

It also BSoD on a clean install.

It would install if I disabled both my onboard sound and network cards in the BIOS,, But then it sulked because it couldnt call home.

When I enabled either the sound or the network... It gave a BSoD during booting

Please note... The only reason why Bloatware 10 is so popular is... THEY HAD TO GIVE IT AWAY

Windows 10 is not so bad at all that it needs to be called "bloatware".

But all hardware is different.

For the method I mentioned, I would not have installed it to same disk that previous Windows is located. But not all can afford or have multiple drives that they can sacrifice for different reasons when required.

And for the network card, you should have tried to plug your smartphone to PC and use it as a NIC. But I have installed Win10 without network, only to do the registration to hardware later on.

There usually are ways to overcome technical problems, it just requires often too much tinkering for average people that just wants thing to be done and return to do hat they really like to do - not tinker with the Windows...

i ran into a similar issue with a computer with older hardware and the install of Win10 did not like it and had several stop errors. what i did do is i made a full backup using Acronis. created a bootable USB drive and, when the install failed, i restored from backup. i understand like was said in an earlier post, some people do not have the means to put money into backups. but it really should be on everyone's future plans list. this opinion comes from being in IT for30+ years. i have seen companies go out of business because they did not take care of the backups.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain