New steam beta, overriding automatic throttling and prediction behaviour

nrosko

I have an index, so will give it a go. some people have said it really helps although I'm not sure I fully understand it. 

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

There are good rumblings coming from the other flight sim community. Pg 263

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-vr-settings-and-suggestions-index-steamvr/321913/371

it worked a treat for me around Manhattan. 

DCS - I tried it very quickly earlier. The eye test says I saw improvements even after I upped the settings a bit. 

Tried F18 Caucasus free flight. Low and fast looking sideways out the cockpit over the town. Then Some faffing around on the super carrier 

Have done nothing to quantify this though. 

• Like 1

After testing it does seem pretty good, locking it to 60 @ 120hz i turn motion smoothing off still as it still looks horrid to me but its all very smooth & nice at 60fps without it. I pushed up the steam SS to 180. Unfortunately my CPU is a bottleneck & any traffic or missions kill the fun, so i still have to wait forever for my hardware to arrive. . 

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I think I was running 80hz locked to 40fps with SS 150% but with my settings up pretty high. I’ll check my settings tomorrow and report back. 

Supmua - has commented on another valve index thread about the benefits. Their posts historically have seemed a bit more methodical than my Mk I eyeball test so may be worth following. 

• Like 1

So...a further bit of non scientific playing. 

Have attached my DCS graphics settings (pd 1.0)

9900k all at 5.0Ghz 

3090Fe
32Gb of ram

SS 150%

persian gulf. Free flight. 
flew up to Dubai center and flew low and fast doing silly fun things around buildings. 

90hz, motion smoothing enabled, throttling auto - ran great. No noticeable blurring of buildings as I went past. No stutters. 

hoggit - GAW server

super carrier spawn (hornet) only me on deck 

90hz smoothing enabled, throttling auto. 
good until I looked at the superstructure then the frame times in the steam developer tab started having big red spikes 

Changed the throttling to fixed at 30fps and perfect. Smooth as butter. 
Rarely remember dcs looking this good and being this smooth. 

tried a quick airfield spawn in the tomcat. Still throttling at 30fps. Only 2 other players around. It was snowing! Looked fantastic. No blurring / ghosting of runway markings on takeoff 

I know this is all a bit wishy washy testing but I’m sold. Needs some more testing in multiplayer but very happy. 

115298E5-2E65-495D-B344-68DE9C3D3E19.jpeg

• Like 1

try turning off shadows and MSAA, depending on your RAM drop your terrian textures to Low, i almost never notice the difference

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg